• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Men of a Certain Age"

Started by Rico, January 01, 2010, 03:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This series started about a month or so ago.  I just started getting caught up on it.  Pretty cool so far.  Not Sci-Fi, but it's well written and has a great cast.  It's on TNT and other cable networks.  Check your listings.

In the pilot episode, we are introduced to Joe, Owen and Terry, who have been friends for years. Joe, who once had a dream of becoming a professional golfer, is now a party-store owner who is dealing with his recent separation from his wife. Owen works for his father as an auto-salesman in order to make ends meet and Terry is a part-time actor who is trying to recapture his past glory. The three of them support each other through their mid-life challenges during daily lunch meetings at a local diner and hikes in the hills of Los Angeles.

Men of a Certain Age - On Super Channel

jedijeff

Thanks for the heads up Rico, looks interesting. Of all the channels I get, the only one I don't subscribe to is superchannel which shows it in Canada. Will have to check the Torrents for it.

Ktrek

I've watched all four episodes so far and really enjoyed it. It may be because so much of the humor rings true to life (sadly I might add). I think it is perfectly cast, well written and well directed. Worth your time for sure. It kind of has a Thirty Something vibe for Forty something folks. That's probably the best description I can think of.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I'm looking forward to watching more.  But yeah, it does hit pretty close to home with some stuff.

Feathers

I see no sign of it over here but it sounds like it might almost be depressing!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

If I want to see Men Of A Certain Age....I'll just look in the mirror...  ;)
Pete

Ktrek

Quote from: Feathers on January 03, 2010, 09:49:20 AM

No... I would not say it's depressing at all. It's a show about three middle age men dealing with real life issues. It's a drama/comedy. The writing is really good and every show seems to end with just the perfect last scene.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Feathers

Quote from: Ktrek on January 03, 2010, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: Feathers on January 03, 2010, 09:49:20 AM

No... I would not say it's depressing at all. It's a show about three middle age men dealing with real life issues. It's a drama/comedy. The writing is really good and every show seems to end with just the perfect last scene.

Kevin

I guess it was the concept of watching the handling of everyday issues for men of a certain age when the reality stares us in the face everyday. If done badly it could be appalling! Thank for the reassurance that it's done well.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

moyer777

I just caught all the way up on it at www.ch131.com .

I don't know what to say, other than it compells me to watch.  The underlying truth and situations are so close to home.  The moral dilemmas, the moods I feel, the mid life awkwardness are all dealt with in an entertaining yet thought provoking way.

I may not be a fan of the language they use, but I have to say that this series is really hitting home with me.  Go figure, I wouldn't have thought it would. 

Worth a watch in my opinion.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

I'm really enjoying this series still too.  Just finished watching episode three, two more to go (counting the new one from Monday).  It's well written and acted and it's refreshing to see these guys "let it all hang out" - so to speak.  Definitely on my TIVO Season Pass list now.

KingIsaacLinksr

I'd be more interested if:

A: I was older.  I think this would depress me too much so I'll avoid it for now.  *Think happy thoughts, THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!!*  **EDIT** Never mind, apparently its not that bad. 

B: Ray Ramano wasn't in it.  Sorry, but he quit being my favorite actor since I got sick of Everyone Loves Raymon.  (The whining, moaning, and...yeah, you get the point)  I only tolerate him in Ice Age.  Nowadays, whatever I see him in, I'll likely ignore.  HOWEVER, it does have Captain Archer (his name escapes me again) so I might...if I feel up to it.  

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

moyer777

It's Scott Bakula-  :)

It isn't depressing, but it is thought provoking.  I kind of like the character that Ray plays in this, he's very different than the Raymond character.

Geekyfanboy

I've been wanting to check this out.. after reading your guys thoughts I think I just might.

moyer777

Ktrek

I really like the actor who plays Owen. I think the stories that revolve around him and his family are some of the more poignant and well written. Bakula's character is slightly obnoxious with his "I'm so good looking I can have any babe I want" approach to life. When in fact he's probably the biggest loser of the three. Ray's character, Like Rico said, is not much at all like his character on Everyone Loves Raymond. He's probably the character I feel the most sorry for but most of his problems are his own fault.

Kevin