• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Men of a Certain Age"

Started by Rico, January 01, 2010, 03:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

yeah, I really relate with Owen.  His story hits home with me.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

jedijeff

Watched the First two episodes tonight, and really enjoyed them. I am in my early 40's but certainly do relate to the characters, and gives me a bit of an idea how things might be for me in a few years. Really like the relationships between the three, and where each of them are in their lives, seems quite real to me. Each has flaws which sort of make them the person they are, and can either see a bit of myself in them, or others I know. Got 3 more episodes downloaded so will watch them this weekend.

Ktrek

I just watched the 5th episode tonight. Owen's dilemma with the city permit department was great. My wife works for the city and the bureaucracy at times is appalling in city government. I loved it when he came back the second time and told the permit guy the story about his father and his record shop. If I had been that guy sitting there listening he would have had me in tears. Great stuff! I think Terry needing ask himself who his is was spot on advice. He needs to grow up. He's almost 50 and lives like a teenager for crying out loud! And Joe's confrontation with his daughter's boyfriend...what father that has a daughter couldn't relate to that? Really good episode. I hope this series makes it. I have no idea where it stands in the ratings but I hope it has a good enough showing that TNT will keep it running for a while.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I'm enjoying this series more and more with each episode.  Some really good writing and great acting.  This is quality stuff and just very cool and real both.  I look forward to seeing more as I am all caught up now.  Well worth watching!

KatzeKitty

I've been watching from the beginning as well, and agree that Terry's character seems furthest from reality, but I don't live in L.A., so it could be right on.

I like that it doesn't fall into a sitcom/tv trap of "wacky hijinx ensue."  Most of it's believable in that it'd actually happen, or you'd actually try to make it happen.

One beef, they go out to lunch together *a lot*.  I understand it's an easy way to keep people in one place for a conversation, but if any/all of them have financial issues, would really meet at the diner every day (it seems)?

I'll definitely keep up with the show, just so I can be prepared when ChadH becomes a man of a certain age :)

~katzekity

Beatleboy

Hi, I'm new on here.  I find Men of a Certain Age to be somewhat humorous, but it is...very...slow...paced.....  However I do agree with Moyer777 in that I feel compelled to watch it.  I record it for my wife, but I find myself getting caught up in the stories.
Tuned to a Natural E.  Happy to be that way.

moyer777

I just heard that this got ok'd for a second season.  Good.

Jobydrone

I just started watching season one of this show and was wondering if anyone else here has given it a look?  One of the stars is Scott Bakula, my favorite leaper and my favorite Captain that isn't Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Janeway.  He does a nice job in this show as an aging lothario who's finally starting to see the years catch up with him.  Ray Romano is another star and I was surprised to find him to be very funny and poignant in his part in this show.  I'm really enjoying it and relating to it as a funny and heartwarming show that sometimes hits close to home.  Give it a look if you haven't yet and let me know what you think.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Great series.  See the thread I merged your post into Joby.  We've been talking about it for a little while now.

Jobydrone

Whoops I did do a search but didn't see this thread.  Thanks for the merge, and glad to see people are enjoying it as much as me.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

No problem Joby.  Search misses some things at times (especially with common words like in the title of this show).  They just started up showing new episodes again for the rest of their second season.  Wednesday nights I think.

Dangelus

I'd heard about this before, must check it out.

moyer777

It may surprise everyone, but I really dig this show.  It's so darn real to life that at times it makes you cry, laugh and get uncomfortable.. pretty cool actually.

stonut

well this sounds interesting, maybe a internet job for me though.

Rico

Quote from: moyer777 on June 04, 2011, 01:00:58 AM
It may surprise everyone, but I really dig this show.  It's so darn real to life that at times it makes you cry, laugh and get uncomfortable.. pretty cool actually.

Doesn't surprise me at all Rick.  The characters are interesting and the show is very well done.  One of the few, non-SF dramas I really enjoy.