• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Historic Day in California

Started by Geekyfanboy, June 16, 2008, 10:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Sorry to hear that Kenny.  I'm curious what happens to those that have married if this happens?  Do their marriages become voided?  That would seem really odd.

Geekyfanboy

yes if this proposition passes all marriage between same sex couple will be null and void. They would have no legal standing at all, it would be another worthless piece of paper... yeah that's fair. :(

KC

I wish you the best, Kenny and I sincerely hope that proposition doesn't pass.  No one should have their marriage voided for any reason.  :(

Bryancd

Yes, we are seeing similar aggressive campaigns against gay marriage here in AZ as well. I'm so sorry Kenny.   :'(

ElfManDan

Marriage is marriage, the government should be able to stop or void two people who want to get married or be married. This is supposed to be a free country, if people don't agree with gay marriage let them whine, there votes shouldn't count in the matter. It should be people's rights to marry who they want.

X

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on October 16, 2008, 03:50:07 PM
yes if this proposition passes all marriage between same sex couple will be null and void. They would have no legal standing at all, it would be another worthless piece of paper... yeah that's fair. :(

Kenny if I am not mistaken, those that are already married will be protected by the whole grandfather clause.

We had that same issue here is Mass when people wanted to over turn it. If you are legally married, they can't void your marriage, but they can stop others from getting married.

as for this whole issue, I just wish people would grow up. If people actually spent time researching marriage they would see that it's an ever changing thing and the whole one man / one woman take on it isn't more than a few centuries old at best.

Traditional roles and rules change with each generation. I for one am glad it progressed from men being able to marry as many little girls as they wanted without the girls having a say. I'm glad that it's progressed from raped women being forced to marry their rapist. I'm also glad that in some places they feel that it's okay for two adults that love each other to be married and protected.

The key problem with marriage is that it is fundamentally flawed. Rules are in place that only allow certain people to get married and they don't care if there are other valid and consenting adult relationships.

It's all too damned puritan for me personally. I for one am so sick of someone else deciding what adults are allowed to get married. I'm also not stupid enough to think that a person can only love one person of the opposite gender.

I personally don't care who anyone married or if they want to marry six people. If everyone in the relationship is cool with the relationship, who the hell am I to say that they can't be happy because their love is not vanilla?

The simple fact that while a person might be smart and wise, groups of people tend to fall into lemming like behavior and refuse to think for themselves.

If a same sex marriage isn't hurting ANYONE, what the hell is the debate about?

If your religion doesn't like it ... cool, but that's YOUR religion.

There are a lot of things that I don't like, take abortion. I hate it on a personal level, but I'm pro choice because it's not any of my business what a woman wants to do with her body.

I'm far from the most advanced person on the planet, but if I can support something that I don't agree with because it doesn't concern or harm me, how hard is it for others to take that stand?

I support it because it's the right thing to do. I support same sex marriage because it's the right thing to do. I also agree with it.

Let's be real for a minute. If marriage worked as written, we would have far few divorces. We don't because the fantasy of what marriage is doesn't live up to the reality of what marriage is. It is my personal opinion that most marriages fail because people have this unrealistic concept of what marriage actually is.

It's a piece of paper that grants legal rights and tax breaks. That's it.

It's not a magical fix to a problem relationship. It's not a mystical tool that will enforce the vows that people make. Tax breaks and legal rights, that's what marriage is.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Marriage is just a contract, but the vows are what makes the relationship.

When one person decides they want to let another person be their voice and speak for them when they are too ill to do so. To take care of things after they are gone. To build something together.

That's where the magic is. It's putting your life, hopes, and dreams into the hands of another and that takes a lot of courage and faith in that person. I don't think that ANYONE else in the world should be able to say "Hey, I don't agree with who you want to share yourself with, so you can't."

If you are willing to make that big a leap. You should be ENTITLED to the paper that will back up your partner's right to do those things for you.

It's not that hard a concept to understand.

I'm sure that for every person that hates to call to same sex people together a marriage probably has the same amount of people somewhere else in the world with their more than one spouse that think their definition of marriage is just a tad bit shallow.

Monogamous heterosexual marriages are not the definition of marriage and it's a bit elitist to assume that it is when history completely disagrees with that.

I know I'm probably not making any sense, but I can't express how stupid it is to me that people need to fight for something that has nothing to do with anyone outside of the relationships involving it.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Just X on October 16, 2008, 05:36:49 PM
Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on October 16, 2008, 03:50:07 PM

Kenny if I am not mistaken, those that are already married will be protected by the whole grandfather clause.

Thank you guys for your kind words.. it's nice to know that there are still some open minded and loving people out there. :)

And Just X.. No.. unfortunately that is not the case.. if this proposition passes.. all gay marriage will be against the law and therefore illegal and voided.

Meds

Deary me. What a pathetic bunch of cretins you have in your county. I keep my cool on a lot of things, i bite my lip trust me, but this time I'm sorry. This year I've made some fantastic friends on this site (and i am proud to call you all friends) and Kenny is one of these guys and he has become a good friend. I was so happy to see his smiling cheeky face on the photo's of his wedding day. It made people even more happy because the dinosaurs in his county had finally grown up and made it legal in his county. Now they are proposing to change it again!!! Whats with these people. Do we not live in a modern fracking society, quite clearly not. What will be next burning at the stake i suppose,,,, wouldn't suprise me because lets face it the intelligence and humanity of these pathetic people seem to have slipped out of their brains. Am i being harsh,,, you know what i couldn't care less.
I live in a country which has its flaws, it has a pathetic spineless government but at least we have the right here to legally be with the people we love. I'm (as you all know) am not gay and I've never really thought much about gay marriage (why would i) until I became friends with a few gay people. And of course as soon as something affects my friends then if affects me. You see i love my friends, i don't want to see them upset or hurt. If I had a child and i got him/her the best present in the world the look in his/her face would make my world brighten up,,, how would i feel if someone then come and took the present away. Imagine that.... Now how do you feel.
Finnally lets make this clear, I'm not aiming this rant at anyone here, I don't really know peoples stances, (and we all have opinions which we all accept (thats what makes this site so much fun because we all can talk about stuff without falling out))I'm aiming this at the cretins in charge and the neanderthals who seem to want to destroy the one thing people should strive for... and that is happiness.

And with that I'm going back to dribble over the new Star Trek pictures.

Geekyfanboy

This election have been a roller coaster of emotions..and so bittersweet. I was super high when Obama made history and became our president elect. But then Prop 8 (gay marriage ban in CA) was too close to call last night so I went to bed hoping.. well this morning it looks as though the ban on gay marriage is going to pass. Once again I am being treated as a second class citizen and a fundamental right is being taken away from me. I am proud to be an American but very disappointed to call myself a Californian.

I don't understand why the religious right care about my personal life, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm so tired of having to fight just have to a "normal" life.

billybob476

I'm very sorry to hear this Kenny. It's amazing to me that two events, one so positive and one so negative could happen at the same time.

Meds

i re-state my post above. I can't say anymore than that.

Bryancd

I was hopeful last nught when I heard it was too close to call, didn't realize it the outcome this morning. This is what, the second or thrird time in as ny years it seems I have said sorry to you Kenny over this issue. :(

Rico

Sorry Kenny.  People need to really get a clue.

billybob476

It might be unrealistic to hope but...

http://www.noonprop8.com/headlines/results-status/

Results Status

Roughly 400,000 votes separate yes from no on Prop 8 – out of 10 million votes tallied.

Based on turnout estimates reported yesterday, we expect that there are more than 3 million and possibly as many as 4 million absentee and provisional ballots yet to be counted.

Given that fundamental rights are at stake, we must wait to hear from the Secretary of State tomorrow how many votes are yet to be counted as well as where they are from.

It is clearly a very close election and we monitored the results all evening and this morning.

As of this point, the election is too close to call.

Because Prop 8 involves the sensitive matter of individual rights, we believe it is important to wait until we receive further information about the outcome.

Geoff Kors
Executive Committee NO on Prop 8

Kate KendellExecutive Committee
NO on Prop 8

KingIsaacLinksr

I find it odd that a typically liberal state went conservative all the sudden.  But then again, that's why the west coast has for the longest time been light blue.  In general elections like Presidential and such we are Democratic in voting, but in issues we seem to be very Republican/conservative.  Its a real oddity, but seems to be true.   :-\

A pity it seems to be passing.......

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr