• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Historic Day in California

Started by Geekyfanboy, June 16, 2008, 10:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tan-Ru (banned)

OK, I'm not gonna make any posts other than this as I don't need to get myself in any more trouble.  :wallbash:

Kenny, take heart. This is a just a petty retaliation by those sensing their loss of control over our minds and lives  :starwars:

A minor setback toward many changes to follow.

Here is what I see happening in the future if our new president does what he says.

He will invoke the possibility that the the right to marry whomever you want comes under the constitutional right to privacy. He will LEAD this country to that possibility. That is what he will do and many / most could / will possibly / quietly follow. Quietly this will become a nonissue and you and others will be free to live the way you want.

*Caution* learn from this election process for it must be repeated again with the same or similar individual who lives in the same possibilities.

This is only one issue of many that will be transformed in the four years to come. Learn from the past and live in the possibilities of the future and maybe we will begin to live in the future Gene envisioned for us. That is why we are here, that is why we are aboard this forum.

Mr. Data, get us out of here, engage!

Ktrek

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on November 05, 2008, 07:38:50 AM
I don't understand why the religious right care about my personal life, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm so tired of having to fight just have to a "normal" life.

Kenny,

Now as you know I don't live in California but I have kept up in some measure about the Prop 8 issue. My understanding is that if the ban did not pass it would open up many legal entanglements that conservatives and Christians were/are not ready to deal with. The main one being that any gay couple could demand to be married by any clergyman and if the clergyman refused based on religious grounds he could be taken to court. I'm sorry but I am one who believes that changing and redefining what constitutes a marriage is wrong. Even Obama has said that marriage is between one man and one woman. Now, in saying that Kenny I am all for gay couples to have the same rights as heterosexual couples when it comes to disbursal of property, visitation of a sick loved one in the hospital etc. I do not see how redefining marriage is going to help your cause. It seems that gay couples are trying to infringe upon peoples religious rights in pressing this matter. That's just my opinion Kenny and trust me when I say I mean no ill toward you or Harry in any way. I just don't understand why the word "married" is important to gay people if the privileges that are enjoyed by married couples exist.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Geekyfanboy

You know what.. I'm done.. I'm sick to my stomach with this topic. I'm tried of trying to justice my civil rights and lifestyle to anyone. You either get it or you don't.

Though this was a great election for the people of the US it's been a very bad one for the gay community. Gay Marriage bans passed in CA(?), FL & AZ. Arkansas voted to bar all unmarried people (gays) from adopting children or fostering children.

We may have been defeated but this is far from over. 30 years ago they classified  "being gay" as a metal illness. 40 years ago blacks couldn't marry whites. Bigotry is alive and well in this country but with the election of Barack Obama I see a glimmer of hope that one day being gay won't be looked down upon and we will achieve our goal to live our life as we were meant.

And with that I am done with this thread. You can continue to discuss this topic if you wish but please do not expect me to respond.

sheldor

Quote from: Ktrek on November 05, 2008, 01:30:52 PM
Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on November 05, 2008, 07:38:50 AM
I don't understand why the religious right care about my personal life, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm so tired of having to fight just have to a "normal" life.

Kenny,

Now as you know I don't live in California but I have kept up in some measure about the Prop 8 issue. My understanding is that if the ban did not pass it would open up many legal entanglements that conservatives and Christians were/are not ready to deal with. The main one being that any gay couple could demand to be married by any clergyman and if the clergyman refused based on religious grounds he could be taken to court. I'm sorry but I am one who believes that changing and redefining what constitutes a marriage is wrong. Even Obama has said that marriage is between one man and one woman. Now, in saying that Kenny I am all for gay couples to have the same rights as heterosexual couples when it comes to disbursal of property, visitation of a sick loved one in the hospital etc. I do not see how redefining marriage is going to help your cause. It seems that gay couples are trying to infringe upon peoples religious rights in pressing this matter. That's just my opinion Kenny and trust me when I say I mean no ill toward you or Harry in any way. I just don't understand why the word "married" is important to gay people if the privileges that are enjoyed by married couples exist.

Kevin

I didn't keep up to date on this proposal but if indeed this clause was part of the proposal - its a violation of the first amendment.

Bryancd

I just heard the couples already married prior to the proposition passing are exempt. Is that true Kenny?

Geekyfanboy

billybob476

Wow. That was very well said and I couldn't agree more.

Meds

I don't know who that guy is, but give him a standing ovation. How fantastic to hear someone in a position to be able to speak to thousands say such heart felt and meaningful words. Well done him, and well done to anyone else who stands up.

Bryancd

Now, now, Kenny, we shouldn't wish ill on others. Do onto others as we would have....ahh, screw it, f'em! ;)

KingIsaacLinksr

Geez....used to support them until this....its not just about the gay issue, its the fact that they felt the need to waste $500,000 on something like this.  Ministries are supposed to stay out of politics.  Its why I only listen to pastors that talk about non-political crap.  I of course have no problem talking about it with church-going members or staff, but not in a "official" setting like this. 

This makes me "sad". 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 17, 2008, 10:48:37 PM
Geez....used to support them until this....its not just about the gay issue, its the fact that they felt the need to waste $500,000 on something like this.  Ministries are supposed to stay out of politics.  Its why I only listen to pastors that talk about non-political crap.  I of course have no problem talking about it with church-going members or staff, but not in a "official" setting like this. 

This makes me "sad". 

King

The secret is that many churches don't stay out of politics, they just don't want the government involved in them.

It's not all churches by far, but in some, that money you donate is used to line the pockets of lobbyists. Some churches are there to spread the word, others are there to make sure that it's only their word being spread.

billybob476

Wil Wheaton posted this on his blog. I have to agree...

Post at http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2008/11/see-its-really.html

Rico

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Just X on November 18, 2008, 03:39:42 AM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 17, 2008, 10:48:37 PM

This makes me "sad". 

King

The secret is that many churches don't stay out of politics, they just don't want the government involved in them.

It's not all churches by far, but in some, that money you donate is used to line the pockets of lobbyists. Some churches are there to spread the word, others are there to make sure that it's only their word being spread.

Yea, that is the truth.  I just hope that mine isn't doing the latter because....I will be annoyed.  :(

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr