• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

So, what do we all do for a living?!

Started by Bryancd, November 06, 2006, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Quote from: Chrystabel on November 30, 2006, 09:14:00 PM
I never really liked Romeo & Juliet, but I'm getting ready to direct it starting next week!  It's amazing how much a play grows on you when immersed in the process of performance.  My goal is to show kids that the end of the play is pointless and tragic...NOT romantic!
I never liked that one either! So depressing. Let us know how the play goes. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

bigtmac68

At the moment Im managing a wholesale portfolio of Big Rig Trucks for GE Capital. My terrirory covers all of the Northeast from Maine to New Jersey so im on the road a lot doing collateral checks, and working with dealers who are behind on thier payments and such.

Not a fun job, I have to be the grim reaper quite often and show up to tell some guy his familly business is history and im there to take everything. Cant wait to get out of this, hard on the soul.

My dream job is to reopen my store ( www.roguesden.com) that closed last year after two wonderful years of loosing lots of money :)

I learned a lot and am working on putting the investor group together to open at a better location with better inventory and some food franchises flanking it to build foot traffice and provide cash flow support.  Will be a few years but Im confident ill be back in the saddle before im 45.
Big T Mac ; aka Cowboy Troy, aka , Philly Samurai

6'3" 415 lbs of Raging Geek Fury !!!!!!

"Generally Speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death."

Miyamoto Musashi, Book of 5 Rings

Geekyfanboy

Hey BigT... Your "Rogues Den" looks and sounds awesome.  Where was it located?

bigtmac68

Claymont DE,  It was an awesome place. We used to get up to 30 people for galactica every friday at the Cafe big screen.

I still miss my daughters Mocha Latte's - bank took the big espresso machine when we closed :(

we had miniature and card game tournaments, some times with up to 300 people in the store at once,  a video game room with linked xboxes online for team gaming

just lots of fun stuff, but not enough to consistently pay for the 12,000 square footage. That and my two partners quit for health reasons leaving me to try to run the place alone which was just too much.

Next time im including some established franchises , a dominoes pizza, a Au Bon Pair, a "TGI FRidays style resturant to be named later" , an ice cream shop and a game stop,  all in the same building with the 9000 square foot hoby shop and a 3500 square foot lounge / recreation are with pool tables , leather couches and big screens

will take a few years to get it all together but should be amazing once its up and running

oh yeah, and profitable this time too.
Big T Mac ; aka Cowboy Troy, aka , Philly Samurai

6'3" 415 lbs of Raging Geek Fury !!!!!!

"Generally Speaking, the way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death."

Miyamoto Musashi, Book of 5 Rings

keozen

Well, I may as well join the fray!

I'm a buyer for a fabrics firm here in the UK. I've only been doing it for 6 months but I'm enjoying so far. I get to buy fabrics from all around the world and talk to all sorts of interesting people.

Rico

Interesting jobs folks.  I really like hearing about what other members here do for their jobs and so forth.

Trekkygeek

Hey Keozen, which fabrics firm? I may know it.. I used to make beds for a living and our factory had to but in loads of the stuff
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Jen

Quote from: bigtmac68 on December 01, 2006, 12:54:38 PM
It was an awesome place. We used to get up to 30 people for galactica every friday at the Cafe big screen.
I'm sorry that your shop closed down, it sounded like a unique place to hang out.
My husband can relate...he had to close his company too. He finished his last job just last year. He made custom furniture and cabinets. He never could make a good profit because of the quarterly taxes he had to pay. I hope you'll be able to reopen one day soon. ;)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

I just found this thread.

I am one of the  pastors at a church. We have a staff of 13.  I've been working in ministry related stuff for over 20 years now, started out in Christian Radio by managing KGHO AM & FM, a station here in town when I was only 21 years old.   I did that for 10 years, then I worked for a Union Gospel Missions in the development director area, then an Internet service provider in the web technology and sales department and finally going full time into pastoring at our current church http://www.clfgraysharbor.com about 9 years ago.  I started out as a youth pastor and have recently started speaking more frequently to  adults.  We have about 500 people that attend, and I even put little Star Trek quotes here and there in my sermons.  Pretty fun!  ::)

I have recorded lots of music (I like the hard stuff) I sing and play guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. This is a song that got airplay on local station, it is one of our mellow ones, but you get the picture.  I am singing and playing bass on this one. http://www.clfgraysharbor.com/play_music.php?FILE=37  You can find out more about my life at http://www.christrocks.com

I have written four full length musical productions and directed three of them (one of them had 1400 in attendance), plus I have written several more dramas.  I love to write, it is my passion!

I'm a massive techy geek and use all of it to enhance our services and presentations.  I've even had a TV program, although I'm not a regular TV evangelist, I am pretty down to Earth, except for when it comes to Star Trek.  :)

I'm not pushy or obnoxious about my faith, but I am thankful for what I get to do.  And I answer a lot of people's questions about the bible. This is my dream job, big time!  The only other thing I would ever enjoy doing is being an alien actor at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas.  Now that would be a blast! :andorian

So there you go, It was great to read what everyone does when their not enjoying trek!  You guys are awesome, and even though I have just begun to meet everyone, this board seems way cool.   ::)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

Hi Moyer, I don't think I've had the chance to welcome you to the forums yet. "Welcome"  :)

I liked the song you provided a link to...Short of has a 80's Hair Band sound...maybe a little like 'Boston'? My favorite groups are Jars Of Clay and Third Day.  :metallica:
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

Yeah, I was influenced heavily by Boston, Styx, the Eagles.. etc...  Thanks Jen.  You must live in the Northwest??

I love Jars of Clay & Third Day, I have really been getting into Evan Earwicker (Dance with me) lately, cool music.  Yeah, I know, what a name! :blink

If you would like to hear more of my music, go here...http://www.myspace.com/rickmoyer 

I have been recording and performing with a younger group of people and have put out some other stuff in the last few months.... It's more worship orientated stuff.  Private message me and I can send you a link to that too.

Thanks for the welcome!

Rick

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

No problemo...glad to have you aboard. Nope, not from the Northwest...I'm form the Southwest. Cental Texas to be more specific. I'll check out your Myspace page. Sounds interesting.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

keozen

Quote from: trekkygeek on December 03, 2006, 07:49:24 AM
Hey Keozen, which fabrics firm? I may know it.. I used to make beds for a living and our factory had to but in loads of the stuff

A Company called "Edmund Bell"

Trekkygeek

Oh, sorry man. No heard of them. Still I suppose its a big world out there  :)
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

RickPeete

I work in the IT Department of a large company.  I mostly do web development work using ColdFusion and SQL databases.

-Rick