• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

So, what do we all do for a living?!

Started by Bryancd, November 06, 2006, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

That used to be a dream of mine too RichardMEL.  :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Trekkygeek

I feel really inadequate now. I am just a humble White Van Man. This means I drive on the roads all day delivering bits and pieces to our engineers on site, I work for a fire alarm company, next year though I will be starting on the maintenance side which looks after all the fire alarms that we have on the company. I used to be in retail for many many years and sold the higher end of the market carpets, beds, furniture and other home goods. I hated retail except for working in a very old department store in Brighton, very much like the one featured in the old British comedy "Are you being served?" I doubt any of you will have heard of that.
  Dream job? Well there is a programme over here called "Top Gear" which is all about fast cars. I would love to be a presenter on that show. Also, I always wanted to be a singer and entertainer. Not famous, just to earn a good living. Big dreams I know, but the question was,, dream job.  :blush
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

RichardMEL

Mate are you sure you want the Top Gear gig after the unfortunate recent accident? How is that presenter (sorry, forgot his name) going?

A number of staff I work with here love Top Gear also. I'm not really a car guy (I don't drive) but I found it funny. They even hooked up a huge plasma screen in the office and popped on some DVD's a few weeks ago. We didn't get much work done that afternoon! :)

RichardMEL

Quote from: Jen on November 08, 2006, 08:19:34 AM

Uh, which part? Miss Universe per chance? :D

Trekkygeek

Hi there mate. Richard Hammond is doing remarkably well. He is out of hospital and expected to make a full recovery without any damage to his brain. He is even expected to be back at work within six months, and considering he wasn't expected to survive the night at one point, it's incredible. I for one shall be glad to see him again.  :D
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Jen

Quote from: RichardMEL on November 09, 2006, 07:22:40 AM
Quote from: Jen on November 08, 2006, 08:19:34 AM

Uh, which part? Miss Universe per chance? :D

Unfortunately, I was turned away because painting and drawing aren't a talents they allow you to perform during the pageant.  No, I was referring to the art direction and prop design. :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Elizur

In real life, I install, maintain and repair medical equipment in hospitals for Siemens.  For those that may not know, Siemens is kinda the GE of Europe, but there is a huge install base here in the states as well. 

Like Rico, I think my fantasy job would be to work on the next Star Trek show, or maybe the upcoming Star Wars show.

edit:  One thing about my job is I'm driving all around Houston every day all day.  I may spend up to 4 hours a day driving out of my 8 (9) hour shift.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  Anyway, podcasts keep me sane. 

Rico!  Thanks for your podcast that helps keep me sane. 

Jen

I don't envy your drive in Houston Elizur.  :wacko
I-35 can be a nightmare too...But the traffic is no where near as bad here as it is in Houston. Podcasts must be a staple to you.  :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

One thing that got me hooked on Podcasts and loving my iPOD was due to my daily commute.  Mine is about 45min - 1 hour each way.  Nice time frame for a podcast.  I listen to about two podcast each day.  Much better than listening to old commercial radio.  :)

Trekkygeek

I have to agree with Rico. Since discovering Podcasts, I now listen to them most of the working day in my van. I downloaded them onto my mobile phone and used headphones ( don't tell the police). I have now bought an ipod and have just put them all on that, and with my cassette adapter, alot more legal. Since discovering podcasts and trying to catch up with Ricos and Extralifes output, I have stopped listening to the BBC news channel and feel as though I don't know whats going on in the non-geek world  :roflmao

RichardMEL

I know this is heading more and more off topic but podcasts are great.. sort of like radio as in fresh content, but on our fave topics, whatever they may be!

As I said in my introduction post, and I don't want to harp on it, but I have approx 15 hours of "dead time" a week when I am confined to an uncomfortable chair, so podcasts along with just plain old music, really help the time to go.

De

Well... I used to write user manuals for accounting software until I was laid off at the end of October.  Right now, I'm picking up the occasional freelance copy edit job which seems to be working out well at the moment.

Dream job is to be an independent filmmaker, which is something I work on in my spare time.  With any luck, my first documentary should be finished in a couple of years.

Chrystabel

I'm a high school English teacher.  Unfortunately, I have so many interests, my list of dream jobs would take up pages.  If I really had to narrow it down, I would like to be a Shakespeare consultant and go around the country teaching teachers how to teach Shakespeare.  I would also do residencies in high schools and work with the kids on mounting their own Shakespeare productions.  If I got tired of the traveling, I would like to work as an education director/actor for a Shakespeare company.  Again, I could work with teachers and students but have the stability of being home which would give me time to pursue acting.  If I got too old for all of that, I would write young adult novels. 
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Jen

I like your dream of writing young adult novels. You don't have to be "too old" to do that.  :) You should go for it.
Which play is your favorite Chrystabel? Mine is Julius Caesar.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Chrystabel

I actually am developing an idea for a YA novel, and it really does make sense to write it while I'm still working with teenagers every day. 

I love so many of Shakespeare's plays that it is hard to pick a favorite.  The plays that I have studied the most are Hamlet and A Midsummer Night's Dream, so they are probably my favorites.  I never really liked Romeo & Juliet, but I'm getting ready to direct it starting next week!  It's amazing how much a play grows on you when immersed in the process of performance.  My goal is to show kids that the end of the play is pointless and tragic...NOT romantic!
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.