• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

So, what do we all do for a living?!

Started by Bryancd, November 06, 2006, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keozen

Yeah. We do more linings than anything else, and sell a lot of stuff to abroad.

We're owned by Haynes which is an American company (used to be a fortune 500 company I believe)

MrOsterman

Highschool Math Teacher here.  :)

Not sure how much longer I can keep up with it but I got lukcy this year and haev pretty good kids.

Mr. O

MSUFan

I'm in Adv Calc 2 up here at Michigan State and definitely is kicking my butt. Thank goodness that this is the last semester of math for me. I'd much rather be spending my time mixing chemicals and blowing stuff up like my Dad.

Rico

Quote from: MSUFan on January 22, 2007, 08:30:12 AM
I'm in Adv Calc 2 up here at Michigan State and definitely is kicking my butt. Thank goodness that this is the last semester of math for me. I'd much rather be spending my time mixing chemicals and blowing stuff up like my Dad.

Nice Steve!  Hang tough on the Calculus - it was rough for me too.  And I haven't blown anything up yet this week.  But it is only Monday!  ;)

comix

all of you have interesting jobs! I work in behavioral health. It is a difficult job and I think that I am nearing burn out. If I could do anything I would just sit in my studio and sculpt stuff, paint etc. ART  is what I would like to do best of all :-D
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

MrOsterman

Quote from: MSUFan on January 22, 2007, 08:30:12 AM

Blowing stuff up?  Shoulda been in my modern physics class.  Our second to last lecture was on dirty vs clean bombs.....

For some reason the kids behave SO much better once they know that little factoid....

Mr. O

the_wasd_man

Well, I'm just a student in my last year of secondary school (high school, for the rest of the world), and I'm not that good at it. :P Maybee I should lay off the video games...

nah.

Though this summer I should be getting a nice job working with computers.

ryanlb

I'm a computer programmer, primarily web developing.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online

Dan M

Same here, Ryan.  What language(s)?

I'm a Java guy.

ryanlb

We use Java/jsp/struts at work.  I'm playing around with php at home, on my own website.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online

RickPeete

Coldusion is the way to go!  Its not free but it comes bundled with all the components you could need.

jedijeff

pickard and ryanlb, I am Jealous of you guys ;) . I work in IT on webservers, but dont get to do any programming, just the backend and system support. Would love to do programming like you guys do, as that is infintely more interesting.

ryanlb

I wish we could hire a real IT guy.  The programming dept handles far more of the server maintenance and setup than we are qualified to do.

If you have spare time, start playing around with programming on your own, it's a good way to start.

The IC

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I am a Quality Assurance Engineer for a large digital asset management company in Madison, WI.  I started here 4 months ago.

I have a degree in Chemistry and was a chemist for the past 7 years at an analytical instrument manufacturer (HPLC systems) in Middleton, WI.  I "discovered" podcasting in the summer of 2005, when I stumbled upon TWiT and GeeksOn, and have been hooked ever since.  Podcasting is the greatest thing since sliced bread because people are passionate about their subjects, and  I am constantly learning new things through it.

My friends and I have a movie podcast that is very rough around the edges, and we are constantly working to improve it.  My dream job would be to own a hobby store and podcast.

Mayko Armus

hey guys. I am a professional structural engineer and senior associate at a consulting structural engineering firm. It is my real job and my dream job even though it tends to suck the life out of me everyday. We consultant for some of the largest architectural firms on the east coast. We do commercial, educational, industrial, theater, residential, etc, etc projects. Designing structures of concrete, steel, wood, timber, masonry, etc., etc.
Ensign Mayko Armus
Structural Technician
USS Tiberius

Character Profile - "http://www.treksf.com/forums/index.php?topic=1583.0"