• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Started running

Started by billybob476, July 23, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

I'm going to create a Treks in Sci-Fi weekly running challenge! Mileage will vary... ;)

billybob476

Bryancd

So far this year I've run 832.7 miles. At this point in my season I average about 30 miles per week. I will get up into the low 40 miles per week as Ironman approaches.
I have also biked 3,468 miles and swum 138 miles, so that's my handicap. ;)

You just keep to your plan, Joe. One of the biggest mistakes new runners make is building mileage too fast and running too fast. While running, you should be at an effort level where you could hold a conversation. That will keep you in your aerobic heart rate zone. You want to build your aerobic capacity slowly. That's also the effort level where your body utilizes fat for fuel almost exclusively. The more efficient your body becomes, your pace will become faster at the same level of effort. It's really amazing how your body adapts to work loads.

cosmonaut

Funny, today (when I was running ;P ) I was thinking to post something about it. (Rico commented on the treadmill speed in a recent TSF episode).

Running not only reduces stress and gives the body a nice shape (that health stuff...), it also makes you smarter!!! Major selling point for geeks, I think. :)

Bryan is right, don't exaggerate, and try not to let it bother you when everybody else is faster than you. Stick with it, and be patient, especially the first months are said to be quite rewarding! :)

billybob476

I have no issues with people being faster then me. That's why I've started doing it on my own. That way the only competition I have is with myself. Other times I've tried doing things with freind who are much fitter then me and I'd burn out.

cosmonaut

The one time I did run with a friend I was totally exhausted. But there are other runners, every one of them faster than me.

After a while, I get impatient. I'm running too far and too fast (the first time I tried even every day, big mistake). And then my calves are beginning to ache and I get a cold. So I have to pause and somehow 'forget' to start again... :(

And every time I start again I wonder why I ever stopped, my body feels good when I run and after, my head seems clearer. I like how the air tastes and how the ground is soft after a short rain. I even like the rain, it's presently so warm, it's refreshing and the wind dries me fast.

But enough about me, I hope you'll post more the coming weeks! :)

davekill

Running / biking gets you out of your rut - that's for sure.

I just started riding again, now that I've moved to a new house.
I used to live next door to the "Tour of Nevada City" bike shop.
Too many of these guys always riding through the neighborhood - it was a little intimidating  :-\

Bryancd

That's great, Dave! I am so loving watching Le Tour de France in HD on VS. I love cycling. I better as in term of raw time, I ride more than run or swim.

sheldor

billybob476

cosmonaut

Quote from: Bryancd on July 24, 2009, 05:14:58 AM
That's great, Dave! I am so loving watching Le Tour de France in HD on VS. I love cycling. I better as in term of raw time, I ride more than run or swim.

I once saw the Tour in RL, I swear they made that swoosh sound you hear when ships go to warp! ;)

Chief

Wow... Once upon a time I was a runner...

I guess I have no excuse for this. This article and all you guys say make want to jump off of my arse and do it again...

Maybe we should make this a forum challenge?

"The Needs Of The Many, Out Weigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..."
Mr. Spock

Bryancd

Sometimes having some external accountability can help motivate. I have a coach who designs all my training and having to report back to him helps me complete all my workouts and do complete them at the proper levels of intensity, be that easy or hard.

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on July 24, 2009, 06:21:23 AM
Sometimes having some external accountability can help motivate. I have a coach who designs all my training and having to report back to him helps me complete all my workouts and do complete them at the proper levels of intensity, be that easy or hard.

That's why my wife is seeing a trainer and nutritionist at the moment. She needs to drop some weight because of some blood pressure history in her family. Thank god for company health benefits! :)

I need to keep an eye on myself since my grandfather died of a heart attack, my father had a major one in his 40's along with a quadruple bypass about 10 years go and my brother is pretty overweight and has high cholesterol himself.

sheldor