• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Started running

Started by billybob476, July 23, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldor

Just about any exercise that increase your heart rate for 30-45 minutes will result in weight loss.  Also not eating anything with a shelf life of plutonium has its advantages. ;)

cosmonaut

Quote from: markinro on July 30, 2009, 10:45:35 AM
(...) Also not eating anything with a shelf life of plutonium has its advantages. ;)
Hey, that thing about Twinkies is an urban myth!
I've never seen one, but I know it will decay! In a decade, or two! :D

Bryancd

Just back from my long Sunday run of 13.6 miles. Another important part of developing a running protocol is doing some kind of post run stretching. You don't have to get crazy, but try and do some light stretching for 5-10min after you run, not before. Helps prevent injury.

robbo1510

Mrs Robbo and I are preparing for our 3rd Bristol Half Marathon in September. http://www.bristolhalfmarathon.com/bhmHome/ . Training hasn't gone too well due to a recent knee injury for myself. I have just purchased a new knee support which seem to be doing the trick along with some physio. Ran 6 miles Friday night and 7.3 miles this morning. I certainly agree with the stretching Bryan. We do a light 3 minute stretch warm up before and after our runs.

Bryancd

Excellent. Bring the mileage up slow as to not overtax the knee and make sure you are running in fresh shoe's that are right for you. Many runners try and get too much mileage out of their shoe's and end up hurt as the shoe's do wear out. I switch out every 300 miles or so. I'm sure you know this, robbo, I just wanted put this out there. Best of luck and keep us updated!

robbo1510

robbo1510

Did a 10.9 mile run last Sunday. Mrs Robbo & I are hoping to do the full 1/2 marathon distance this coming Sunday morning. Fingers crossed!!

Bryancd

Quote from: robbo1510 on August 22, 2009, 04:27:12 AM
Did a 10.9 mile run last Sunday. Mrs Robbo & I are hoping to do the full 1/2 marathon distance this coming Sunday morning. Fingers crossed!!

If you can run 10, you can run 20, so 13.1 should be a breeze!

billybob476

That's awesome. Next season (spring or summer I guess) I may look into a 10K. By that time 5K should be a joke.

An update on me: Still running 2-3 times a week, things are getting much easier. Tonight I'll be swinging by the gym to see if I can get a reasonably priced membership. It's been raining (actually torentially downpouring) a lot recently which puts a damper on my runs.

A treadmill is definitely not as much fun but at least it's weather-resistant! Also come winter  I doubt I'll like running outside when it's 20 below!

Actually, I'm not sure what the impact is, but my father has a heart condition (and had a quadruple bypass about 5 years ago) and his doctor told him to absolutely minimize exerting himself outside when it's very cold.

robbo1510

Didn't quite do 13.1 miles as we had hoped :( Got up to 11.3 but due to the warm & breezy conditons, called it a day. The fact that we ran 9 miles Wednesday evening may have been a contributory factor!
We are pretty confident of beating last years times (me 2 hours 7 minutes/Mrs Robbo 2.16) as we have definatley put in more miles this time around.

ElfManDan

You guys are making me want to start running again. I haven't done a lot since high school in Cross Country. I know I could do an 8 mile easy then, but I'm not even sure if I could do a full 5 miles now.

Bryancd

Great job guy's! Yes, Billybob, running in extreme temperature is very hard on your body, so a gym membership is a great idea.

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on August 25, 2009, 04:48:20 AM
Great job guy's! Yes, Billybob, running in extreme temperature is very hard on your body, so a gym membership is a great idea.

I guess you don't have the cold / snow issue living in AZ!

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on August 25, 2009, 05:05:42 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on August 25, 2009, 04:48:20 AM

I guess you don't have the cold / snow issue living in AZ!

No, we have the extreme heat, which is even more dangerous for some. I tolerate it well but it's tough some days, even early in the morning. The effect of temperature is that you body has to expend energy either cooling itself in the heat, or keeping your core warm in the cold. In your cae, Joe, energy needs to be concentrated in your core to stay warm and you have less available for your muscles. In the heat, as your core temp rises, your brain forces your body to slow. It's really remarkable!

billybob476

Yeah I get both ends here, 20 below in the winter and 90's in the summer. :)

Also I'm not nearly hardcore enough to run in the rain, hence the gym membership (as much as the gym bugs me).