• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"Dexter" - season five - spoilers

Started by Rico, July 24, 2010, 08:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I also liked Dex and the dad scenes too...

[spoiler]Did you notice that Dexter still really wants to be a good dad?  This has come up a few times this season.  So even though the older kids are sort of out of his life, he still really cares about them.  And that's an ok compromise for me.  Lumen seems to be a very good influence on Dex too.  But man, do I want that self-help guy to go down now after that phone call with Lumen.[/spoiler]

Jobydrone

Well, you got your wish Rico!

[spoiler]Lumen and Dex are the new hot item in Miami.  How funny was the scene where Lumen was admiring Dexter's knife collection?  Things are coming to a head.  Can't wait to see Robocop go down, what a sleaze![/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

QuadShot

[spoiler]you know, I thought that was fun too! She's a female Dex, for sure. I'm not sure how I feel about them sleeping together though. That sort of cheapened it a bit for me. I liked that their attraction to each other was based on the need to kill those who did what the did, but when they moved the attraction to a more, traditional physical sort, I was a bit disappointed. I love this season though! I can't wait to see how it turns out! And what will become of Lumen? I think...she dies. [/spoiler]

Jobydrone

[spoiler]Oh I truly hope she doesn't die.  I felt Dex and Lumen sleeping together was pretty natural, and if nothing else part of Lumen's healing process from her trauma.  Many victims of the kind of assault Lumen was exposed to could possibly never be able to or even desire to experience intimacy with another person without serious therapy or at the very least a lot of time passed.  The argument could be made that Dexter's enabling of Lumen to take her revenge on her attackers gave her the ability to experience that level of intimacy much sooner than normal. 

Or possibly she's a psychotic that gets sexually excited by stabbing people. [/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

LOVED this most recent episode...

[spoiler]I thought Lumen and Dexter finally getting together was perfectly understandable.  Lumen is trying to repair herself and feel "normal" and whole again.  The scene where she is pulling off Dexter's shirt and trying to touch him was very moving.  Julia Stiles is fantastic in this show.  And Michael C. Hall's expressions and eyes just worked great here.  It will really kill me if Lumen dies.  I don't think that will happen.  Whether she stays around, I'm not sure.  But, I'd be happy if she was back next year.[/spoiler]

Jobydrone

I agree that Julia Stiles is fantastic.  I've been re-watching the Bourne trilogy on my iPad over the last week or so and she did a great job in those films as well.

QuadShot

[spoiler]Oh, I understand the progression of their relationship for sure, and it is understandable. Did you catch when Lumen was taking off Dexters shirt, she bunched it at his wrists...behind his back. Kind of like tying him up. And Rico you're right, Julia is great in this role and she and Michael play off each other very well. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the show spin in a new direction: Dexter and his apprentice! The reason I feel they'll kill her off possibly is that the whole idea of the Dexter character is that he is "broken" and alone. If they keep a love interest in his life, that would change the "tone" of his character. Even though she's as "busted" as he is, together they almost make a normal person. Sort of. I just love this show and love the way it's going this season! I want to see how they take care of Robocop Weller! [/spoiler]

Rico

QuadShot

Yeah!! I'm glad. This show has really gotten into its own. Love it.

Rico

Season Finale spoilers and comments ahead....

[spoiler]I liked the finale.  Thought it wrapped things up well and worked.  All I kept saying to the TV when Jordan thought he actually had Dexter controlled was you don't know who you are dealing with here bub.  Then he notices the missing knife and wham - awesome!  Michael C. Hall was great in this episode again.  I was really scared Lumen might die, but I'm real happy she made it.  The ending where she tells Dex she has to leave was gut wrenching.  Again, both actors were awesome.  One little thing though still kinds of bugs me.  Quinn must suspect Dex killed Robocop.  I mean he knew he was watching Dexter still and then Liddy turns up dead?  I mean come on Mr. Police Detective.  Is he just ignoring it since he loves Deb?  Maybe this will continue.  Oh, when Deb nearly caught Dex and Lumen I was freaking.  I thought for sure she was going to learn his secret.  But it made sense for her to let them go.  Anyway, great season.  Is it time for season six yet?!  ;)[/spoiler]

Jobydrone

Great season, great show.  I believe looking back on this series after it ends, that many people will believe that last season, season 4, will be viewed as the peak for this show.  Everything was perfect last year and these past twelve episodes fell a little short in comparison.  The tension and drama seemed lessened a little bit, I don't remember ever feeling like Dexter was truly in danger at any point.  I know the whole subplot with Peter Weller could have very easily turned bad and certainly the end of the finale with Deb was a hair's breath away from ending it all for Dex, but for some reason I never felt the almost unbearable suspense this season that I've felt in some of the previous years.

Still a very enjoyable season and it leaves everything open for season six to go any direction the writers choose.

Rico

I think the makers of the show did a wise thing in not trying to continue to "up the ante."  This show is about Dexter.  And his character and how he deals with things and copes.  I liked this past season a lot.  They explored some new things.  I felt a great deal of tension several times this season - especially in the last few episodes.  I mean, you always know pretty much Dexter will both survive and probably not get caught.  Especially since a season six is already on the record as coming.  So, there is only so much you can do with that.  But they still manage to add suspense - at least for me.  I also try hard not to compare things.  I've enjoyed every season almost the same amount.  Because they all had interesting things going on and Dexter is just so interesting and fun to watch.  They also have a great supporting cast and bring in some solid guest stars too.  One of my top shows and I expect it will be until it's over.

Jobydrone

[spoiler]My wife and I felt the same kind of disbelief about the whole Quinn/Robocop subplot.  Knowing what we know about Quinn it doesn't seem in character for him to allow himself to destroy his entire career to protect his relationship with Deb, and certainly not to protect Dexter.  He seemed willing to go down without outing what he knew about Dexter's role in the murder.  And although Dex did use his position to fudge the blood analysis from the spatter on Quinn's shoe (did they ever explicitly say that or was it just implied) even that doesn't seem like it would be enough for Quinn to simply forget what he knows about Dexter's extracurricular activities. [/spoiler]

X

Rico