• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Falling Skies

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 28, 2010, 10:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEagle

Hey, thats a good idea!

Quarks Ally

I have it on the DVR.  Hope to watch it in the next couple days.  These cable series make me a bit nervous.  It's hard enough to try and watch the big networks with the way they cancel shows; but with cable's budget and a much smaller audience, there is very little wiggle room.
A fruitful journey to the Divine Treasury.

Rico

Actually, I've been finding "cable shows" have been doing ok in the past few years and seem to hang on better than network stuff.  I enjoy many of them like: "Burn Notice", "Leverage", "While Collar", "Men of a Certain Age."  Same thing with SyFy cable shows.  I don't think there is quite the pressure there is on network stuff at times - which can seem really brutal.

Quarks Ally

QuoteActually, I've been finding "cable shows" have been doing ok in the past few years and seem to hang on better than network stuff.  I enjoy many of them like: "Burn Notice", "Leverage", "While Collar", "Men of a Certain Age."  Same thing with SyFy cable shows.  I don't think there is quite the pressure there is on network stuff at times - which can seem really brutal.

Good point!  The biggest thing to adjust to is the, a few episodes here, a few episodes there.  Like you I grew up in the 70's back when there were 24 episodes of every show.  But it's a lot better than watching nothing. 

I here Syfy network (boy I still hate that name change) might do a The Event Mini series.  I wonder why they chose this show, as apposed to oh let's say... Heroes or Legend of the Seeker? 

Jobydrone

Plus the best shows are on the non traditional networks at the moment...FX with Sons of Anarchy and Justified, AMC with Walking Dead, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and HBO with all their great shows far outshines practically everything on the old networks in my opinion.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

QuadShot

Quote from: WillEagle on June 21, 2011, 04:23:37 PM
Its funny you mentioned commercials Quadshot. I thought I remembered them saying limited breaks. I DON"T THINK SO!! Still really enjoyed the show!
I know...they did. I said to my wife if this is limited I'm gonna HATE their regular programming!

QuadShot

I DVR'd it as well, but it seemed like every 6-7 minutes I had to FF through a 3-6 minute commercial break. But, TNT, ABCFamily, Spike...all very bad with commercials.

Rico

Didn't seem that way to me.  The commercials breaks were long, but pretty even spaced out I thought.  The usual rate of about every 15 min or so.  They do tend to increase them later near the end of certain programs.

Quarks Ally

With the DVR on 4X or 5X Fast Forward, the commercials go by really fast!   ;D

Rico

Quote from: Quarks Ally on June 22, 2011, 08:47:09 AM
With the DVR on 4X or 5X Fast Forward, the commercials go by really fast!   ;D

With my TIVO, I don't even have to do that.  Click - skip - click - skip.  :)

WillEagle

If advertisers were smart they would just use their logo for a commercial so when you FF through all you see is their logo. If they start doing that I better get some money!  ;)

Quarks Ally

I finally had a chance to watch.  I really liked it.  I would say 4 1/2 stars.  I thought the second episode was a little slow. But it looks to be a great series.

[spoiler] A lot of people think that the question asked in the episode as to why six legged aliens built robots with two legs.  Is a hint that the aliens we're seeing aren't the real aliens.  What theories do you guys have?  [/spoiler]

QuadShot

Quote from: Quarks Ally on June 23, 2011, 12:07:53 PM
I finally had a chance to watch.  I really liked it.  I would say 4 1/2 stars.  I thought the second episode was a little slow. But it looks to be a great series.

[spoiler] A lot of people think that the question asked in the episode as to why six legged aliens built robots with two legs.  Is a hint that the aliens we're seeing aren't the real aliens.  What theories do you guys have?  [/spoiler]

You know, that's a good question.
[spoiler]Maybe it's possible that the skidders are just like, trained attack dogs of sorts? The real aliens send them in to a new planet to do the grunt work, then once the original hosts of the planet are exterminated, the real aliens take over. And maybe they look more like us than the skidders do...hmm. Interesting[/spoiler]

Quarks Ally

Theory ...

[spoiler] To put it in Trek terms.  I think the six legged aliens = Jem'Hadar.  The question is who's playing the roll of the Dominion? [/spoiler]

spaltor

I completely forgot this show started this weekend, and missed the premiere.  I can't find the episode online anywhere.  Luckily TNT is running the Pilot again tonight.  I'll have to put it on my calendar. (Yes, I have a Google Calendar for TV shows - I'm very forgetful.)