• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Started running

Started by billybob476, July 23, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Well I thought I'd post about this. One of my guildmates over on the Extralife forums started running using the program posted here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's not really a complex plan and is likely a pretty standard way to get running so I figured I'd give it a try. So I did the first "run" yesterday. It consisted of jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds over 20 minutes. It sounds like it wouldn't be a huge deal, but by the end I was pretty tired!

One fun tool I used was an iPhone/iPod Touch app called Intervals. Basically it's an interval timer that you set up with durations for your warm up, high intensity, low intensity and cool down and then set up the number of intervals (I had to do 8 to make up 20 mins plus 5 min warm up and cool down for a total of 30 mins). What it does is every time you have to change intervals, it plays a chime which you can hear over your music. When you hear the chime, if you are walking, you start to jog, if you are jogging you start to walk.

It was a lot easier then having to look at my watch every minute!

So my next steps are:

1. get an armband for my iPhone. I was running holding it in my hands and I have a feeling that if I keep that up it'll end up smashed on the ground.

2. Get some new shoes. My current shoes are over 3 years old. My feet are fine today but as the program progresses I'll be going harder and I think my old shoes may not hold up then. I'll be hitting the Running Room (http://www.runningroom.com/) to get fitted for something appropriate.

So overall I'm a little sore (which I guess makes sense) but I'm stoked to hit it again tomorrow. I've always had an aversion to running but I think that's more of a relic from high school gym class then actually being unable to do it.

Bryancd

That's awesome, Joe! I checked out the plan and it looks good and more importantly, safe. New shoes are an absolute must. Proper running shoe's make running a much more pleasant experience. A good running store should be able to fit you in a shoe that address your running form, which is also crucial. You may require a shoe with more stability if you tend to pronate when you run or a more neutral shoe. Running shoe technology is pretty remarkable, not all shoes are created equal. Please feel free to ask me any questions about running you may have. Meds also recently started a running program.

billybob476

Yeah the old pair of Asics I got on sale 3 years ago have seen better days. :)

With this plan I actually enjoyed myself while I was running unlike before when I would just try and push myself too hard, get tired and frustrated after 5 mins and give up.

sheldor

SPOCKFAN

Thats great. Once you get into it, running is like a drug. I am completely addicted

Rico

Good for you Joe!  Keep it up!

moyer777

That is so great Joe!  Go for it!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

Quote from: SPOCKFAN on July 23, 2009, 08:49:36 AM
Thats great. Once you get into it, running is like a drug. I am completely addicted

We're endorphin junkies!

billybob476

Honestly it did feel good after. I was tired, but it was a good kind of tired. I slept all night (I usually wake up for a few mins around 3 am and 5 am) and it was nice to get myself out of the house for 30 mins.

Also, thanks everyone for the encouragement!

sheldor

Covert Bailey has a great story about running.

I was stressed after arguing with my wife so I went out for a run.  After 1 mile I was not stressed.  After a 2nd mile, I forgot what we were arguing about.  After a 3rd mile -- I forgot her name.

Bryancd

Quote from: markinro on July 23, 2009, 10:04:12 AM
Covert Bailey has a great story about running.

I was stressed after arguing with my wife so I went out for a run.  After 1 mile I was not stressed.  After a 2nd mile, I forgot what we were arguing about.  After a 3rd mile -- I forgot her name.

Indeed, running can be very cathartic. When I went through s very difficult divorce, running was a place I could escape to for an hour and clear my mind (said in the best Morpheus voice).

sheldor

Next thing you know, BillyBob will be grabbing the cola nut before the hand closes. :)

Running is excellent - even on a treadmill but I think you get better workout in the "real world"

SPOCKFAN

Its amazing. Running helps clear my head and make things come into focus.  I could be stressed and dealing with a problem I am confused over and during my run everything just becomes clear.  I just started running 4 years ago. I can't imagine how I made it through life before

Feathers

Oh, now you're making me want to run.

(I probably need to, I'm just not motivated to...yet. When they close my office sometime in te next two years and I have to start driving to work instead of walking, then I'll REALLY need to run, just to try and control my weight.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

Well my wife has been bugging me about exercising more, thing is that isn't how I roll. I had to come to my own conclusions. I felt like it was time to get off my butt and do something.