• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Started running

Started by billybob476, July 23, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPOCKFAN

I am excited. I am running in the Annapolis 10 mile run this sunday.  Its a great race 5500 runners and it is through downtown Annapolis.

robbo1510

Bryancd

Sweet, good luck my man! Negative split that biatch!

robbo1510

Survived the Bristol 1/2 marathon. Beat last years time by 10 minutes ( 1 hour 57 minutes) :). Mrs Robbo also improved by 3 minutes to 2.13. We said this would be our last 1/2 marathon and we would stick to the local 10k races. But never say never............

Bryancd

Quote from: robbo1510 on September 06, 2009, 11:23:58 AM
Survived the Bristol 1/2 marathon. Beat last years time by 10 minutes ( 1 hour 57 minutes) :). Mrs Robbo also improved by 3 minutes to 2.13. We said this would be our last 1/2 marathon and we would tick to the local 10k races. But never say never............

Congrats! Sub 2 hours is great! Now, sub 1:45.... :)

cosmonaut

Had to think about this thread when I was outside today. It's still an on/off thing for me, but how are you?
(Already know about Bryan, hope we'll see some nice pictures with shiny medals next week!) :)

Meds

Oh trust me Bryan will be half naked holding varous medals and not looking at all tired lol ;)

robbo1510

Quote from: cosmonaut on November 14, 2009, 10:23:35 AM
Had to think about this thread when I was outside today. It's still an on/off thing for me, but how are you?
(Already know about Bryan, hope we'll see some nice pictures with shiny medals next week!) :)

Taking it easy at the moment with three 10K runs a week ;) We are looking to get some speed work in ahead of the Bristol 10K in May. Photos from the 1/2 marathon can be found here http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2009/Bristol%20Half%20Marathon&match=22448 and Mrs Robbo here  http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2009/Bristol%20Half%20Marathon&match=22325

billybob476

Well, figured I'd ressurect this old thread.

It's official, I'll be running the Disney Half Marathon in Orlando January 8th, 2011. NOt sure what I've gotten myself into here but at least I've got a lot of time to train!

Here's a report on my last run: http://runkeeper.com/user/billybob476/activity/14855604

I figure I'll use this thread to chronicle training for my first half marathon. The route takes you from just outside Epcot, though the Magic Kingdom and back around to inside Epcot.

http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0222/en_US/media/amateurSports/PDF/Endurance/WDWHalfMarathonCourseMap.pdf

Now the fun begins...

Feathers

Good for you - I ache just thinking about it!

I dare say Bryan will have some good training advice :)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

EXCELLENT Joe. Have you chosen a specific training plan yet?

billybob476

Nothing yet. Fran had a plan she followed for her last half so she's kind of working with me. Right now I'm just doing 2-3 runs a week trying to increase my endurance. Any suggestions would of course be appreciated :)

I figure with 4 months until the race I'll have more then enough time to get up to speed.

Bryancd

Yes, the key for building run endurance fitness is run FREQUENCY. So instead of running 2-3 times per week for say 6 miles each, run 4-5 times per week even if it's just 3-4 miles each. So your weekly run distance volume will still be say 15-18 miles but do that with more frequent runs. For right now that should be your focus. All these efforts are at an easy/moderate pace.

billybob476

Right, I know when Fran was training for her first run (she's running the Disney race as well, though she'll be in a faster corral) she only really did one long run per week with the others being shorter. Even at that the long runs only started coming in a few weeks before the race. The week of it was just short easy runs.

billybob476

Well, I impressed myself last Friday and posted an 8.7 Km run (that's 5.4 miles for you guys :) ). It's good when Fran runs with me, she forces me to go harder and farther then I would otherwise. I wasn't even that sore after! If it isn't pouring rain tonight then I'll hit it again.

Looking forward to a month when I get my treadmill! I can't stand the gym. It'll be nice to quit that. We've got enough weights at home in our little home gym corner.