• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on December 06, 2012, 04:19:15 PM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 06, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
Hence why I expanded my thoughts in the post above. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. I'm disappointed that this is the best plot they came up with in the many years we have been waiting. But its likely going to be a pretty good movie. True that my first post was rather...to the point...in a sense ;).

Well, it's still unclear what the plot is or even who CumberKhan, MitchelBatch actually is. There certainly seems to be a lot of action as well as drama. I have been critical of the marketing for this film up to the announcement of the 9min trailer before The Hobbit but I think they did a solid job with this. My only standing issue is the music is so derivative of Nolan. I want my STAR TREK films to take inspiration from STAR TREK, not Timothy "Look How Bleak I Am" Nolan.

And that's my problem too. I don't want this to be another Nolan film, I want this to be a Star Trek film and the trailer doesnt make me feel confident about that. And my concern is that there might be too much action, but this trailer is too much of a teaser to say either way.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

I agree, I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it. I thought the last Batman movie was ok but wasn't over the Moon about it.

Ktrek

This is interesting!

SHERLOCK

INTO DARKNESS

Hmmm....
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I think you guys are putting a bit too much weight on a poster and some music and this Nolan comparison.  The footage looks like pure JJ to me and much like he did on the last Trek film.  Wait for a week until we see more than a minute and know a lot more. 

Ensign Random

Watched it this morning. Wow. It looks pretty compelling to me...at least set wise; having the characters back. Can't tell  much about it really. I've learned that trailers can be spliced to look like any film you want; esp. if the music isn't even a definite yet. Khan perhaps...but still a good chance at Gary Mitchell, I think. My only disappointment was it won't be out in theaters in Japan until September.Yikes! What a delay. I can't stay spoiler free that long.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
http://smartgirlsscifi.wordpress.com
@mrsbookmark

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on December 06, 2012, 03:54:08 PM
Ok, after a few other viewings I have some other ideas & thoughts.  That weird, red jungle planet place might be a Genesis planet.  Gary Cumberkhan seems to be fighting hand to hand and using way too many weapons to be Gary Mitchell.  It doesn't seem to add up if he has super powers of some kind.  The trailer makes him look more like a genetically engineered person - stronger, faster, smarter, etc.  Maybe like someone on Facebook said they decided to blend elements of some characters - like a little Mitchell, add some Khan, toss in a little Squire of Gothos and set to broil for 30 minutes - lol!  Of course again, you can take a minute of footage probably from a movie like this and really misdirect us if they wanted to do that.  It's going to be fun to pick it apart for the next week or so until we learn what this movie is really going to be about.
Maybe that building where they are fighting Klingon (red planet) is where Cumberkhan is somehow transformed, and left for dead.  Maybe the Klingons were guarding something..
Pete

Bromptonboy

I haven't been watching the Batman franchise - so the angle is new to me. 
Pete

Geekyfanboy

I love how 60 seconds of footage of a 2 + hour movie can cause so much debate and drama :)

X

I think it's funny that we assume so much. I assumed that the intro of the "jumping" character was a jump as most people did and then assumed the person was super human. I didn't notice until I read that breakdown post that the guy was descending from a rope. Well, that doesn't reveal much about potential genetic enhancements.  Hell, we don't even know what planet and gravity force said person it dealing with. I think they did it like that on purpose to make us assume it was Khan.

WillEagle

Mixed feelings here based on the trailer. I was very excited to see it on here and I just hope it isn't a 'dark' movie or a ripoff of TWOK. There is so much they could do but I did get a feeling that it is Khan. I thought it looked great and seeing the ship crashing into the water looked really cool. I look foward to seeing more to get a better understanding of the movie. And yes, no matter what the wife and I will go see it on opening night!

Ktrek

Quote from: WillEagle on December 06, 2012, 07:26:14 PM
Mixed feelings here based on the trailer. I was very excited to see it on here and I just hope it isn't a 'dark' movie

Isn't that a little much to hope for since the film is called into "Dark"ness?    ;)

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

WillEagle

Dangelus

Like it has been mentioned before the marketing of this movie has been a big pain up until now.
I wish they didn't feel the need to call back to TOS and try to link link characters to it so much.
In this case because we are told this is a character we already know is the reason the speculation machine went crazy. It's safe to say that JJ has established his own version of Trek very well and doesn't need the crutch of TOS to lean on. We all know this is a reboot universe (even though the producers didn't feel confident in committing to this view at the time) so I hope we have been given a little bit of misdirection and that this new movie is actually an original character.

From the trailer it does seem to point to an enhanced person and I think this would make a great story. I'm betting it isn't Khan which would be a great twist. I bet they were originally going to with Khan withDel Torro but they've changed it a little and made it a new character related to the augments.

Perhaps the fact his is wearing a Starfleet uniform and seems to have a ship is a misdirection? Perhaps he comes from a long line of forgotten augments that have infiltrated Starfleet over the years and have waited until now to get their revenge?!!

I've got to say this trailer has given me just enough to get me excited and speculating about this movie again after a long time. Frustating as it is we are all talking about it again! :)

Rico

A few things.  The point of this new alternate universe is to please fans of TOS and new fans too.  I think that they did that in 2009 and hopefully in 2013 too.  For me, it's fun to speculate and guess at things.  JJ wants us to do that.  He knows what Trek fans are like, as do the writers.  I just want a solid film, with a good story and some great character moments.  I'm very excited to see this film.  I really think we are in for a treat.  :)

billybob476

Yup, it's not like J.J. hasn't been known to mess with his fans in the past, this is looking like it'll be a great ride.