• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

So, I just watched both versions of the trailer for the first time just a couple minutes ago.  WOWZERS!  Looks pretty incredible.  I'm leaning a bit more towards Khan now after seeing this but still not sure.  With the hand thing at the end of the Japanese trailer I can only conclude JJ is either messing with us a bit or maybe this will be Khan.  In any case, this looks like an amazing and exciting movie!  Is it May yet??

Bryancd

I think the hands on glass is an intentional red herring.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: QuadShot on December 06, 2012, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 06, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
All I'm going to say is:

I'm not impressed.

Yes, I realize this shocks a total of 0 people on this forum. ;).

But of course. WHY would you be impressed Tim? I mean, it's a franchise...people will have to PAY to see it....it's not "free-ware"...it's part of a "Big Evil Corporate Machine"...dude, you're not impressed with anything, so let me ask this: WHY BOTHER? You seem to pretty much hate everything, huh? Don't really LIKE much of anything. Don't care, I think these trailers ROCKED the dang house, and I think this movie will ROCK THE DANG HOUSE, and if Tim doesn't like it...not impressed! :)

Kind of figured I'd get this reaction from either here or Twitter. What I am not impressed with is that this is essentially looking like a revenge-taking, mass people killing, villain and we've had a splurge of them lately what with Skyfall and the Dark Knight Rises movies. This particular movie is giving me vibes of Nolan's films which considering this is the Star Trek franchise doesn't sit well with me. And we just had a Romulan try to take his revenge on humanity in the last film. I have to wonder, why all the hate for the Federation here lately? Its like Starfleet went around and kicked a lot of babies here lately and no one told us. After so many years of waiting, this is a pretty disappointing plot that I'm looking at thus far. I was hoping for something a little more original than this.

All this said, I'm probably going to see this movie bar some real-life issue. Its Star Trek and there are only a handful of reasons that will get me out to see a movie. The Star Trek name is one of those reasons. Unless this is a terrible film then that will change but considering this is JJ and he hasn't given me any reason to doubt his film making capabilities, I don't see that happening either.

As far as your response Al, you were way off base. I have no problem supporting Star Trek and in fact went to see the previous Star Trek film twice. I haven't done that for a movie ever and it may never happen again. I do not hate all big-corporations. I hate scumbag businesses who abuse laws and consumer rights to make the most money they can. And I also liked Skyfall which I went to see with some friends of mine in the theater. For someone who "hates the Big Evil Corporate Machine" I sure have a funny way of showing that "hatred".

I also didn't say I hated this film. I was unimpressed by what I've seen which is a MAJOR difference of terminology. 

I guess the thing is, I don't let fanboyism blind me to just accepting everything about a franchise without question. And your hostile attitude towards my criticism is what pisses me off about fans of anything in general. Critise anything about the franchise that they love and its like I personally attacked them with a razorblade when my comments were directed at the franchise itself, not the people who like/love it. So they then respond with hostility even though it had nothing to do with them. I threw my opinion out there about the film/trailer but if that opinion is not welcome here, then I'll leave the thread. I will not deal with drama, I have enough things to deal with in a day.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

ChrisMC

Those are KLINGONS that Garry Noonien Mitchell is fighting! Remember those helmets from the deleted sceenes? In the second pic there's a bat'telth. Yeah, been freeze framing a bit!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Yep, maybe Cumberkhan is on Rura Pente and is making his escape! But some of the other stills suggest Kirk, Spock, and Uhura are all there as well, you can see that dome. Maybe the yellow in the dome is the lava in the other clips?

ChrisMC

Well, whoever sees the 9 minute trailer better be posting details!

Rico

Ok, after a few other viewings I have some other ideas & thoughts.  That weird, red jungle planet place might be a Genesis planet.  Gary Cumberkhan seems to be fighting hand to hand and using way too many weapons to be Gary Mitchell.  It doesn't seem to add up if he has super powers of some kind.  The trailer makes him look more like a genetically engineered person - stronger, faster, smarter, etc.  Maybe like someone on Facebook said they decided to blend elements of some characters - like a little Mitchell, add some Khan, toss in a little Squire of Gothos and set to broil for 30 minutes - lol!  Of course again, you can take a minute of footage probably from a movie like this and really misdirect us if they wanted to do that.  It's going to be fun to pick it apart for the next week or so until we learn what this movie is really going to be about.

Bryancd

I'm not impressed.

Perhaps a bit more color then just this would be helpful, Tim. The problem saying something like that is it comes across as the kind of intellectual arrogance, dismissive criticism, pseudo-clever cynicism that seems to be a blight in popular culture currently and, sorry to single your peers out, your generation. My 22 year old brother is the same way as I have mentioned before. It's not that your opinion is not welcome and valid, but in a thread where we are having fun and enjoying the conversation your comment is a bummer. It makes it worse when you call people fanboys when they genuinely like something and outrank you by many years. :)

Bryancd

Quote from: Chris-El on December 06, 2012, 03:50:39 PM
Well, whoever sees the 9 minute trailer better be posting details!

10:40 am next Friday!

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bryancd on December 06, 2012, 03:54:40 PM

I'm not impressed.

Perhaps a bit more color then just this would be helpful, Tim. The problem saying something like that is it comes across as the kind of intellectual arrogance, dismissive criticism, pseudo-clever cynicism that seems to be a blight in popular culture currently and, sorry to single your peers out, your generation. My 22 year old brother is the same way as I have mentioned before. It's not that your opinion is not welcome and valid, but in a thread where we are having fun and enjoying the conversation your comment is a bummer. It makes it worse when you call people fanboys when they genuinely like something and outrank you by many years. :)
Yeah, I admit I'm kind of tired of the "Nothing is Cool" crowd that seems to dominate the web nowadays. I used to be a member of a popular ST board where the members pretty much just took dumps on Trek. I revel in my ability to be enthusiastic about 1 minute of footage. It's more fun.

Rico

Not to divert too much, but neither of my sons is like that.  They very get excited to see stuff like this.  Guess geeky dad rubbed off on them a bit.  :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Hence why I expanded my thoughts in the post above. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. I'm disappointed that this is the best plot they came up with in the many years we have been waiting. But its likely going to be a pretty good movie. True that my first post was rather...to the point...in a sense ;).

ChrisMC

LOL, a slightly elongated "Meh" was what it was! ;p

Bryancd

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 06, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
Hence why I expanded my thoughts in the post above. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. I'm disappointed that this is the best plot they came up with in the many years we have been waiting. But its likely going to be a pretty good movie. True that my first post was rather...to the point...in a sense ;).

Well, it's still unclear what the plot is or even who CumberKhan, MitchelBatch actually is. There certainly seems to be a lot of action as well as drama. I have been critical of the marketing for this film up to the announcement of the 9min trailer before The Hobbit but I think they did a solid job with this. My only standing issue is the music is so derivative of Nolan. I want my STAR TREK films to take inspiration from STAR TREK, not Timothy "Look How Bleak I Am" Nolan.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Chris-El on December 06, 2012, 04:17:22 PM
LOL, a slightly elongated "Meh" was what it was! ;p

Hahahahaha that was the rough draft, "meh". ;)