• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK" movie comments/reviews (spoilers)

Started by Rico, May 03, 2009, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Some comment about boldly going where no-one has gone before springs to mind!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

FINALLY they own up to the error! This was posted over at the RPF:

"According to an interview with ILM in the latest Cinefex issue the new Enterprise was DESIGNED and RENDERED to be 1200 feet long or "slightly larger then the TOS Enterprise". Subsequent INTERNAL decisions prompted the 'revised' scales posted by 'official sources' AFTER the movie was released. All this BS about it always being INTENDED to be 2500 feet long is just that...revisionist BS.
Also, the licensees were told when they were getting their licenses (and it even said this on some of the prototype packaging) that the 'E' at 11 inches was 1/1000th scale and the 34" was understood to be roughly 1/350th and designed to compliment the MR CLASSIC E.
All of this retroactive resizing is nothing more then the fans having a better attention to detail then the creators. "

See, that makes sense and I hope that JJ get's the $$ to make a proper Engineering room to bring the scale back down to what it should have been. That one cheap effort to have a brewery double for a set, which was lame, caused all of this! I knew that was nothing but trouble! :)

Ktrek

I hate to say this Bryan but in the "scale" of things it really does not matter!

I and millions of other viewers could really care less about the scale. It's so nitpicky it drives me crazy! I suppose we should also argue on how the inside of the tardis can look so much bigger than on the original Dr. Who series?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I'm with you on this one Kevin.  It doesn't matter that much.  The movie audience certainly doesn't care.  Only the hardcore fans will debate this scale/size thing.  Regardless of a few of the internal sets, I always felt the ship seemed just a little bigger than the refit Enterprise.  And it wasn't a question of money from what I have heard.  They tried to use a few location type sets to make the ship feel a bit more "real."

Bryancd

Well, get over it boys, it matters to me.   :smilie_bleh:

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on June 18, 2009, 06:26:41 PM
Well, get over it boys. I am hardcore.
Oh - come on Bryan, I think I know that by now.  ;)
I was just saying that I don't really care much about this "size thing" anymore.

Bryancd

At least they acknowledge it! A lot of people for whom the actual ship is one of the characters feel the same way i do. It took nothing away from the movie and it's awesomeness, but as a model builder and a huge "ship" fan, it's part of what makes sci-fi great for ME. I do think it was budget restraints which had them film engineering where they did, but we will likely never know the truth..or we will see a new engineering room in the next film.

So Kevin, don't be critical of what I love about Trek and I will pay you the same courtesy.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on June 18, 2009, 06:33:55 PM
So Kevin, don't be critical of what I love about Trek and I will pay you the same courtesy.
Not to point out the obvious, but aren't you the one being critical about what you love about Trek and Kevin saying that it doesn't matter? I don't think he was at all critical. Unless that makes me now being critical about Kevin not being critical...

For me, it is a bit nitpicky and one of those things that all the other fans get lumped into being because of the vocal few. I see it as really a whole lot of nothing. there are severl dozen other things that were changed between scripting and shooting, but because they were not included, it doesn't make it canon. Hell they could have want the ship to be exactly the size of the original, but that wasn't shown and it didn't make canon. You can debate it all day, but unless they blow up the enterprise and come up with a smaller size between movies, you're going to have upset fans that are complaining about how they changed the size of the ship without explanation.

Bottom line is that they gave a size that is bigger than some people expected. Regardless of how they intended it to be, that's not how it ended up and short of a blown up ship, they can't fix it without seeming silly or giving into people that have WAY too much time on their hand in attempting to scale a ship based on the average human size of a guy that was seen in a distant frame.

Imagine if we put all that effort in to doing something like solve global warming, cancer, or many of those social ills that we need to over come so that we can have a part of the future that Gene imagined.

Bryancd

The vocal few saved Star Trek from cancellation after the second season, so I will be vocal. Funny how someone who spends a massive amount of time describing a fictional ship, even uniform designs for an RPG is now saying fans get too nitpicky! "Imagine if we put all that effort in to doing something like solve global warming, cancer, or many of those social ills that we need to over come so that we can have a part of the future that Gene imagined.

Pot, allow me to introduce you to kettle! LOL!

X

Quote from: Bryancd on June 18, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
The vocal few saved Star Trek from cancellation after the second season, so I will be vocal. Funny how someone who spends a massive amount of time describing a fictional ship, even uniform designs for an RPG is now saying fans get too nitpicky! "Imagine if we put all that effort in to doing something like solve global warming, cancer, or many of those social ills that we need to over come so that we can have a part of the future that Gene imagined.

Pot, allow me to introduce you to kettle! LOL!
Which is exactly my point! While I do like to have that information handy, you'll never find me debating if they got it right or not. If they say it's X then I use X. I'm not going to argue about how Y would be better than X because Y is close to A.

Also, it really wasn't that massive of a time sink. Maybe four hours of research and writing for the ship. For the uniforms, that was done with a quick control-C and control-P combo that took all of 15 seconds at the most.

I will agree that having information for my fantasy is cool, but I'm not going to fight with the people that made it on how they were right or wrong.

I'm also not saying that you shouldn't be vocal. Even if I did, that wouldn't change anything. Everyone likes their way of seeing things. If I saw a problem, I'd even comment, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find one, that's just not my thing.

Sure I could say that they didn't even know the size of the Defiant and the scale changed depending on the episode, but I like the ship and I never felt a burning need to have a perfect size declared for it. It didn't take away from my enjoying the story. Also, when I bought the model, that didn't take away anything either because I wasn't ever planning on adding to scale figures in my tiny Defiant and it's wasn't like the fleet of models were ever produced where every ship could be in scale with those around them.

Rico

As I always say, everyone is entitled to their informed opinion.  That said, I find it interesting that some latched on to this size thing as much as they have.  I always thought the Enterprise being primarily assembled in an Iowa cornfield was always going to be one of the biggest issues the longtime fans had.  Anyway, feel free to let your views known.  Just keep in mind not everyone may agree.

Bryancd

It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the film at all, I never even noticed it, but like I mentioned earlier, part of my fandom revolves around the ships, they are like characters onto themselves to me. I also like to build models and like to have different models in the same scale to appreciate the size of ships in relation to each other. Following the film, when they began to make these comments and posting those images a few pages back, it seemed like crazy talk and I was determined to figure out the truth behind what happened if I could. I am satisfied now in this explanation.

billybob476

Rico

That's a pretty darn accurate breakdown!  But I think the primary hull is a bit too big.  What scale is that?  -hehe   ;)

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on June 19, 2009, 07:36:20 AM
That's a pretty darn accurate breakdown!  But I think the primary hull is a bit too big.  What scale is that?  -hehe   ;)

LOL!!!!!!! :roflmao