• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK" movie comments/reviews (spoilers)

Started by Rico, May 03, 2009, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Ok, I thought that we should have an official thread to contain all our comments AFTER seeing the movie.  The Trek 11 thread is long, and if we have a new thread we can freely talk here after we see the movie.  WARNING - don't come back to this thread until you see the movie, unless you don't care about spoilers or seeing people's reactions before you see the film.  Try to keep your posts after seeing the movie and comments in this thread.  That way we don't have to spoiler tag everything.  I will sticky this thread so it will stay near the top of the board.

cosmonaut

First! :D

It's different, but I like different!
All the important things are there, in my opinion.
Go there, you have to see for yourself! :)

X

Quote from: cosmonaut on May 06, 2009, 02:44:31 PM

Glad you liked it!

Bryancd

Quote from: cosmonaut on May 06, 2009, 02:44:31 PM

Interesting....say more.

cosmonaut

You know TOS and you have certain expectations - about the characters, about character-interaction, about the story. The movie acknowledges TOS but plays with these expectations. I enjoy how everyone has to struggle to find his/her place, there are some things that will surprise you.

This future isn't a tidy and antiseptic utopia, which I needed a bit to get used to. The windows are dirty, the engine room reminds me of present-day ships, but this all generates realism and was well worth it.

I don't see a problem with the actors, the characters or the story. This are the right people doing the things that have to be done in a good Star Trek movie. You care for the characters and the movie doesn't rely on special effects, as it should be.

I don't know why, but it wasn't as breathtaking as The Dark Knight. But it's a close enough. Maybe it has something to do with it being an origin story? Looking forward to the next one!

I presently say 9 out of 10.

X

Quote from: cosmonaut on May 06, 2009, 07:30:51 PM
You know TOS and you have certain expectations - about the characters, about character-interaction, about the story. The movie acknowledges TOS but plays with these expectations. I enjoy how everyone has to struggle to find his/her place, there are some things that will surprise you.

This future isn't a tidy and antiseptic utopia, which I needed a bit to get used to. The windows are dirty, the engine room reminds me of present-day ships, but this all generates realism and was well worth it.

I don't see a problem with the actors, the characters or the story. This are the right people doing the things that have to be done in a good Star Trek movie. You care for the characters and the movie doesn't rely on special effects, as it should be.

I don't know why, but it wasn't as breathtaking as The Dark Knight. But it's a close enough. Maybe it has something to do with it being an origin story? Looking forward to the next one!

What did you think about the planet that died? I was impressed at them actually doing it.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Just X on May 06, 2009, 08:53:21 PM
What did you think about the planet that died? I was impressed at them actually doing it.
Didn't see that coming. I am impressed, too. It makes it very clear that there is real jeopardy and "what has happened will happen again" is the motto of another series and not a given. Makes things more interesting, and they were right, this is not a prequel.

It's a new time line! Everyone is free to sort things out. I've decided to pretend only the good episodes and movies of Trek are going to happen again! :)

Bryancd

Quote from: cosmonaut on May 06, 2009, 07:30:51 PM

Well said, I think you make some excellent points.

Data

It was an amazing film well done to Karl Urban he did an awesome job (as did the whole cast) i walked out of the movie and i didn't know what to say for about two hours.

If this is just a taste of what we are going to get in the next two films then I think star trek as a franchise could be on the up.

The shots of the space battles were amazing, as they were in star trek the motion picture you get an amazing sense of scale.

"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

Meds

Just came out. Sitting at train station with kell. We loved it, love it. Not too keen on the spock and uhura thing but you know there you go. Better report tomorrow with a photo of the waffle on boys going to the cinema. I nearly cried with glee.

Kobic

Just got back from watching the movie, all I can think to say is awesome! I absolutley loved it.

As a fairly new trekkie this is the yard stick I needed to be able to follow Trek as closely as I do other franchises such as Star Wars. With all the old movies, OS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise it was a bit daunting knowing where to start (I have managed all the films, DS9 and most of Voyager so far). Now I can watch these new films knowing anything can happen (but I can still start to catch up on the classic stuff in between films  :thumbsup).

As for the film, I thought the cast were terrific I especially liked Chris Pine's portrayal of Kirk and look forward to seeing how the friendships develop in the coming films between Kirk, Spock and Bones.

I too was a little thrown by the Uhura Spock thing, but hey I am strapped in and ready for the ride!

Welldone JJ, welldone   :cheers

X

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on May 07, 2009, 01:23:48 PM
Just came out. Sitting at train station with kell. We loved it, love it. Not too keen on the spock and uhura thing but you know there you go. Better report tomorrow with a photo of the waffle on boys going to the cinema. I nearly cried with glee.
I thought about that too, but she always had a thing for Spock. I'm glad he got her this time.

Meds

Ok back home now so can write a bit clearly. I so loved this film, the experience of seeing it a imax is well worth the exra money though they kept us waiting abit long for my liking. It was good to see people dressed up (unusual for us brits) and one chap got a prize. The screen was great although during the ice planet bit it looked a bit dirty but thats the cinemas problem. How excellent was the cast, everyone was great and hats off to Chris Pine he did a great job and is Kirk. Loved the end when he called Bones 'Bones Buckle Up' so Kirk. karl Urban stood out for me, he nailed Bones. Quinto was excellent and i knew he would be. The actress playing was Uhure did her job very well and made the part a lot bigger. the actors playing Chekov and Sulu were top notch and my man peggy pulled a blinder with Scotty, lets see  more of him in the next film.

All in all a blinder. (Oh and i love the engine room, great stuff)

Below is a picture of the Waffle On boys on the way to the cinema.

Feathers

Seen it. Liked it. Don't know what else to say!

I need to breathe for a bit and take it all in. I'll b back when I'm more coherent!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

batman5150

Just saw the new Star Trek here in the U.k. and i must say that (as a die hard Trekker) i think this movie is the greatest film ever.

I am not disappointed on how they bridge the Universe we know to the 2.0 universe. It is handles with such care and respect that older fans will appreciate that the writers do not dismiss us but they also respect those who never knew Trek like us and show it to be a worth while franchise.

I think im rambling. It's 2:30 in the morning and im going to sleep. Stand proud Trek fans. J.J. Abrams is a great man for this.

"Live Long and Propser" -  :vulcan

P.S. - YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS IN IMAX. I KNOW I WILL.