• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK" movie comments/reviews (spoilers)

Started by Rico, May 03, 2009, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I think it's considered "1 / purple" scale.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on June 19, 2009, 05:34:28 AM
It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the film at all, I never even noticed it, but like I mentioned earlier, part of my fandom revolves around the ships, they are like characters onto themselves to me. I also like to build models and like to have different models in the same scale to appreciate the size of ships in relation to each other. Following the film, when they began to make these comments and posting those images a few pages back, it seemed like crazy talk and I was determined to figure out the truth behind what happened if I could. I am satisfied now in this explanation.
I can understand this, but at the same time, I have yet to find in all my years of searching a collection of models where all the ones that I want are at the same scale. Defiant and Borg Cube are two that stick out. I'd also like the Narada, but again, I don't see that one being made to a universal scale. After I accepted that it was never going to happen, I starting collecting them more because of the lines of each ship than how they fit with each other.

I do however understand where you are coming from.

My only question now is what scale do you use? The scale that they had "intended" or the one that they decided to make the official one?

Bryancd

Quote from: Just X on June 19, 2009, 08:48:57 AM
My only question now is what scale do you use? The scale that they had "intended" or the one that they decided to make the official one?

Well, there is a vast collection of 1/1000 scale Star Trek ships available in kit form from companies like Polar lights or resin fan made kits of other ships. I think Eric builds 1/1000 a lot. I have a number of those, the various Enterprise, Klingon, and Romulan. For Star Wars I like the Revell Easy Kit ships which are all about 1/72 scale, similar to the FineMolds kits.

So the answer to the question is you can collect whatever scale you like, it's just some scales have much more offerings than others and clearly you have to have much smaller scales for the bigger capital ships. For this new Enterprise, I would love to see a 1/350 scale version which would be in scale with the Polar lights Refit and the MR TOS E. That would look awesome together but would be IMPOSSIBLE IF they insisted that the new E was 2000+ feet in size. That would make it over 5 feet long. See my issue? It should be the same size, they made it look the same size in the movie, and then said no it isn't, and now are equivocating. It's frustrating.

Rico

Couldn't they just make a 1/600 scale or something like that?  Problem solved.

X

I would just like to see a scale that takes the largest ship, say the Narada now and the cube then. Make it a reasonable size and then scale everything else down to work with that. If Micro machines can make trek ships, I'm sure they could have been used the make a scale shuttle craft. The I would be on board for something like that.

Rico

Scale has been an ongoing problem for many, many years.  Not just in ships and models, but toys in general.  Talk to some action figure collectors sometime - or car hobby folks.  Add to this multiple companies doing different versions, sizes, etc., it all gets a bit nuts.

I vote everything 1:1 scale from now on!

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on June 19, 2009, 09:19:39 AM
Couldn't they just make a 1/600 scale or something like that? Problem solved.

They do, 1/750. That's the scale that the AMT TOS E, Klingon Cruiser, Refit E were all built in. perfect size, about 11-12" long and in scale. Now if they stuck to the ginormous new E scale, that this would be 3x as big as those kits. I would love for them to make the new E in 1/750 as well, but to do so they need to acknowledge the size is smaller int he film! It's a vicious circle!!!

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on June 19, 2009, 07:36:20 AM
That's a pretty darn accurate breakdown!  But I think the primary hull is a bit too big.  What scale is that?  -hehe   ;)

Good one Rico! LOL

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico