• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Fringe- Spoiler alert.

Started by moyer777, June 02, 2008, 06:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

I read this over at SCIFI.COM

Sounds like an eerie show...
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=55031

SPOILER ALERT!

Abrams' SF Fringe Previewed

Fox previewed Fringe to a group of TV writers on May 29, offering a look at a rough cut of the SF show's two-hour pilot and releasing new details about the series, which comes from J.J. Abrams (Lost). (Major spoilers ahead!)

Fox also released a new description of the series, with more details about the show's casting. "When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport and the passengers and crew have all died grisly deaths, FBI special agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv) is called in to investigate," the description read.

"After her partner, special agent John Scott (Mark Valley), is nearly killed during the investigation, a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble), our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: He's been institutionalized for the last 20 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son, Peter (Joshua Jackson), in to help."

SCI FI Wire viewed the entire pilot, which mixes elements of Abrams' previous series Alias and Lost with bits of The X-Files and even outright homages to the 1980 SF movie Altered States (that film's star, Blair Brown, is a Fringe cast member, playing a manipulative corporate executive).

The show, which begins very darkly and features a fair share of grisly visual effects, is also liberally dosed with Abrams' trademark quirky humor. The title refers to "fringe science"--mind control, teleportation, astral projection, reanimation--which Dunham begins to uncover in the course of her investigation.

Torv, a relative newcomer and native of Australia, is the show's center, whose character is a mix of Dana Scully, Sydney Bristow and Kate Austin and who recalls Without a Trace's Poppy Montgomery, a fellow Aussie who also plays an FBI agent.

The show's cast also includes Lance Reddick (The Wire), as head FBI agent Phillip Broyles, and Kirk Acevedo and Jasika Nicole as other FBI agents. The show's executive producers are Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (writers of Transformers and Abrams' own Mission: Impossible III and Star Trek), Bryan Burk, Jeff Pinkner and Alex Graves. Fringe, which a Fox spokesman said is a "tentpole" for the TV network, premieres Aug. 26 at 8 p.m. ET/PT and will air on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. --Patrick Lee, News Editor

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

Don't forget this series starts tonight...

'Fringe' Starts Slow, But Is Worth The Wait

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: SyFy Portal
Sep-09-2008

Call it an "X-Files" clone all you want, but if there are any shows the new Fox series "Fringe" can be compared to, "X-Files" is pretty low on the list.

The new series from "Lost" co-creator J.J. Abrams as well as his partners in crime from the most recent "Star Trek" movie Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman premieres Tuesday on Fox in a two-hour special, continuing the procedural crime dramas of shows like "Bones" on the network, except this time with more of a science-fiction twist.

A federal investigator liaison named Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv) finds herself drowning in the world of "fringe science," the kind of science that includes Vulcan mind melds and making skin see-through.

Yes, it's more like science-fiction than science on the surface, but as Abrams recently told SyFy Portal and other reporters taking part in a conference call last week, they're really working to make the different ideas presented in the show plausible. And to be honest, they almost had me convinced, and I'm probably more skeptical about dramatic science than anyone.

I'm not always a fan of two-hour pilots as opening episodes tend to be more expository than anything else. And yes, the premiere of "Fringe" definitely can stay away from such exposition. At the same time, the first 30 minutes move slow, in an almost predictable and even typecast manner. Dunham is called to the scene of a mass death on an airplane, clashes with the man in charge Phillip Broyles (a bit overplayed by Lance Reddick), and finds her boyfriend John Scott (Mark Valley) in a fight for his life.

The premiere, however, finds real life when Dunham starts adding to her Scooby gang with Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble) and his son Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson). While the jury might still be out on Torv's casting in the lead, Noble and Jackson practically steal every scene they're in. Even with a drawn-out search for the two to bring them into the fold, it feels like this show grows its legs when they come aboard.

From there, we see some of the finest writing on television so far this season, coupled with acting that makes us forget Noble's spectacular role as Denethor in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the fact that Jackson was once Pacey in "Dawson's Creek." In fact, the departure from these previous roles are so great that you sometimes forget these two are actors -- an effort I think should seriously be considered for Emmys next year if it continues.

All of the predictability in the beginning then looks like it was deliberate, as a way to surprise the audience as the episode progresses. Just when we think we have our finger on the pulse of what's going on, Abrams shows us he's still the master of the twist, and upsets the vegetable cart more than once.

Abrams, Orci and Kurtzman could've played this one safe, especially with so much time being spent on other projects on the silver screen, but they take chances that definitely pay off in the end. This is a series that lives up to its hype, and while it's nothing really like "The X-Files," it sure will fill a void many of us "X-Files" fans have been missing since the glory years of that series.

"Fringe" stars Anna Torv, John Noble, Joshua Jackson and Lance Reddick. The pilot episode was written by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. It was directed by Alex Graves.

moyer777

well, we watched the show, and I think it has some major possibilities.  I liked it.  Now, let's hope it sticks around long enough to at least answer some questions.  :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

iceman

Really liked this, it started slow, but was well worth the wait, the story was well written and fresh, It certainly got off to a good start and I hope it does not disappoint.

jedijeff

I agree, this show has a lot of promise, so I am hoping it sticks around. I liked the twist they had, as I never really expected it. They way the ended the pilot, I am intrigued to watch more next week.

metron07

Well it's Thurday 9/11/08 and I finally sat down with my wife to watch the premiere. All I can say is. It that a cow?
;)

M-5

I think it has some potenial.  It's going to be next X-files.

KingIsaacLinksr

Just got to see this tonight, looks very interesting.  Can't wait to see more!

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Geekyfanboy

Just watched the encore presentation of the pilot and it was pretty good.. great twist and I look forward to future episodes.. also tonight they showed the first few scenes of episode two... looks great.. can't wait.

Rico

Saw the Pilot episode finally last night and enjoyed it.  Not great yet, but an enjoyable ride and held my attention.  I have a little problem with the chemistry they are tossing around - pretty weak and they need to do their homework on that a bit more.  The characters were ok but I need to learn more about them.  I'm not a big fan of that tall black actor who has also been on "Lost."  But most of the cast I liked.  Thought Anna Torv did a great job actually.  I could also do without the big letters in the sky thing.  Gets old fast and too distracting.  But overall a good start and I'll be tuning in.

M-5

^^^
I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't like the floating letters. Very distracting.

metron07

I actually liked the large enbedded letters the first couple of times, then they wore it out.

Did enjoy seeing John Noble from LOTR Return of the King playing another crazy again.

The young lady that does the lead is perfect for the role. Lovely but still nerdy.

A good measure was my wife Tammy's reaction to it. She has been very unhappy with the networks canceling so many shows last year before they hit their stride. She was boycotting the new shows. We had just got home from a workout at the gym and she was going to shower and I decided to watch while I awaited my turn on my DVR. When the first five minutes where playing she peered around to see what was going on as I had it cranked on my surround sound and she came in sat down and the next thing we new it was 90 minutes later. She was hooked! HA HA!
Yes we will watch again.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on September 15, 2008, 04:55:36 AM
Saw the Pilot episode finally last night and enjoyed it.  Not great yet, but an enjoyable ride and held my attention.  I have a little problem with the chemistry they are tossing around - pretty weak and they need to do their homework on that a bit more.  The characters were ok but I need to learn more about them.  I'm not a big fan of that tall black actor who has also been on "Lost."  But most of the cast I liked.  Thought Anna Torv did a great job actually.  I could also do without the big letters in the sky thing.  Gets old fast and too distracting.  But overall a good start and I'll be tuning in.

I think to improve it they should get rid of it faster.  (Like have it up for 5 secs and then it disappears)

And yea, seeing John Noble again was quite good...makes you wonder if he is going insane himself?  ;) jk

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

metron07

I'm really enjoying the show but after two episodes I have a problem with one decision they have made. I don't know if I like that fact that Dr. Walter is on the edge of madness. It's almost like if someone is brilliant or a genius they need to be annoying, rude, self obsessed,  detached,  week physically, weird, or crazy to have that quality to be likable or interesting for the viewers or writers. What I always loved about the design of the Spock character was he was brilliant and wise, strong, and could take care of himself most of the time. It almost appears to be a writing crutch. Does anyone else see this? What are your thoughts?

Also, about the large 3d, location titles. What I do like about them is they go to the trouble of having them cast shadows and refelections which when I noticed it was kinda cool.

Finally, after watching this week's episode and I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I ask this but did they give a little wink to Star Trek V? Watch it and see if you know what I mean.

Discuss  ;)

Rico

Well the crazy, eccentric mad scientist type has been a staple for a long time.  I kind of like that character the best here.  The second episode story has been done before.  They need to come up with some new stuff.  But I'll keep watching.