• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Fringe- Spoiler alert.

Started by moyer777, June 02, 2008, 06:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metron07

Rico,

Yeah your right about the story being done before. I'm not sure if she's right but Tammy seems to feel several things where even covered in some Next Gen series episodes. You agree?

Also
Did you catch the reference (maybe not on purpose) to the Star Trek V movie? (hint they both end the same way-check it out on hulu.com)

Rob

Rico

Yes - I caught the reference to ST 5.  Not sure it was intentional.

Geekyfanboy

More "Fringe" Coming to Fox
October 2, 2008 by Sam Sloan   || Category: TV

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/10/02/more-fringe-coming-to-fox/

While Fox is considering the possible cancelation of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," one of its newest SF shows is getting a call from the network for more episodes.

It would seem that "Fringe" has captured the attention of more than just the sci-fi geek crowd, which most of our readers belong to, and like the CBS sitcom "The Big Bang Theory," has gone mainstream. With the variety of demographic ratings showing improvement with each new episode Fox has decided to order up a full season's worth of episodes of the X-Files-esque series.

"Fringe," the newest skein from the genius of J.J. Abrams ("Lost," "Star Trek"), got off to a mediocre start but is currently ranked as the number one program of any new network show in that all-important 18-49 demographic as well as an increase in female viewers since it debuted 3-weeks ago.

"Fringe" follows FBI agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv) and her bizarre team of investigators consisting of an eccentric, mentally disturbed doctor (John Noble), his prodigy, but independently rebellious son (Joshua Jackson) and a boss (Lance Reddick) with his own secrets to keep. The group's job is to track unusual, unexplained, disturbing events happening around the globe.

Mark Valley ("Boston Legal"), Kirk Acevedo, Blair Brown and Jasika Nicole co-star.

Meds

Well i've just seen the first episode (1 hour 45mins long) and I have to say i'm really liking it. The effects on the plane with the pilots jaw falling off was brilliant. It felt a bit long in parts but i look forward to episode 2. What is with those xray pics that keep popping up?

KC

The second episode is uber creepy to me, and I had to look away at some parts.  And while it's not my favorite it's still a good episode with a lot of great moments, both comedic and dramatic.  I'm glad you're liking the show so far, Meds.  It's definitely one of those shows I'm keeping my eye on... partly because it's J.J. Abrams producing and I don't want to get lost.   :P

Meds

Oh really looking forward to episode 2 then  KC, sounds good.

Ps drum beat to your 'lost' pun ;)

metron07

What I've realized about this show is that we are experiencing these investigations through the eyes of Olivia and Peter.

Agent Phillip knows more than he can say and is prepping Olivia from something.

Walter also knows more than he can say but it is more from fear and memory loss due to this imprisonment in a mental institution.

Then there's Massive Dynamic and Nina Sharp who also hold the keys to "The Pattern"

Finally, there this character called The Observer who if you go back and look at each episode has either been in the background watching or has slightly interacted with Peter and Walter. Very strange. What is he? Is he human or artificial?

As you can see, I'm hooked!
:dry

Geekyfanboy

I'm about four episodes behind with that series.. I'm at the point of letting it go..

Rico

I'm loving this show a lot.  About my favorite new drama this year.  Every week gets more interesting and develops the characters and story more.  Seems to be doing ok too in the ratings or at least better than many shows.  Definite must watch series for me. 

jedijeff

I am going to have look harder for the Observer, as I haven't really noticed past the episode he was a main character.
I am really enjoying this show a lot, I am with you Rico, this is my favorite new show of the season. Glad to see it doing well in the ratings as well, at least it is one show I watch which hasn't been cancelled or in fear of it.

sheldor

I tried again to watch the show --  :ohmy -- jamming a meat thermometer in the ear to take his temperature ??!!
Ok, the guy was dead but still.... :jawdrop

metron07

Another enjoyable show be it little too graphic but they kept it from getting too heavy with a bit if humor from Walter.

Here's what I liked;
1) We have further insight into the Olivia character and her past (Birthday)Also, who is /was her father beyond being abusive?
2) Ya gotta love Walter he is a hoot! Also even though he is brillant, you must not forget he is borderline insane. (Toothbrush, soup)
3) You get some insight into the past of Nina and Peter characters. ( She took care of him as a baby?) Blair Brown steels the show whenever she is on.
4) You still get the impression that Olivia is being groomed for a future important role by her supervisor Phillip Boyes who is also a very "cool" character.

5) Once again Fringe states that it is about present day science growing out of control (a la Khan Noonien Singh genetically-advanced superhumans experiments / weapons). And how our conventional law enforcement is no longer able to prevent individuals / coporations using this science in inhuman or immoral ways which is what I feel at this point Olivia is being groomed to lead an effort in. Why she was chosen is the fascinating thing yet to be reveled but I think her outbust to Boyes in the end of the current episode give us some more insight.
Finally did anyone spot The Observer in this episode? He is always about in the background! Look for the bald guy!
Still my favorate show of the new season, though I wonder how they will keep it fresh but there is much more to this than they have reveled so far.

http://www.tvguide.com/Asks/Fringe-Burning-Questions-27542.aspx?rss=breakingnews

Rico

Little bump for this thread.  The show is taking a little hiatus and will be back in April with 7 new episodes.  Time for everyone to catch up over at:

http://www.hulu.com/search/fringe?sort_by=relevance&type=episode

Oh, but the way I learned something today.  Seems like life now imitates art.  Anna Torv (Olivia) and Mark Valley (John Scott) have gotten married in real life recently.  They were a couple on the series too.  Well until,....

[spoiler]John Scott went rogue and kind of died and all that![/spoiler]

sheldor

Started watching the show again.  Cover my eyes during the gross parts - hearing the phrase "melted brain" is more then enough.

Noble does a great job with his character and I think I could wrap my hand around Torvs' waist - my gosh eat some meat will ya ? ;D

iceman

I have fiund this show to be a little hit and miss, for the most part I like it, but have found some of the episodes to be a little weak or been done in some form or another. It has a lot of potential, I just hope it gets time to work out the kinks.