• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

BIG Trek Movie Press Conference on Thursday, 7/26

Started by Rico, July 25, 2007, 04:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Sounds like we are finally going to get some solid news on the new movie....

Wikinews has learned that George Takei, who played Sulu on the American television show Star Trek, has announced on the radio talk show Coast to Coast AM With George Noory on Monday night that a "press conference" will be held on Thursday July 26 regarding the new Star Trek 11. The movie is planned to be released in December 2008.

"I understand that there will be a press conference on Thursday, regarding the new Star Trek movie, and major casting announcements will be made then," said Takei.

According to Brad Altman of www.georgetakei.com, the conference is scheduled to take place at the San Diego Comic Convention on July 26 from 1:00 p.m. (pacific time) until 3:30 p.m..

The director of the new movie, JJ Abrams is expected to announce a "few surprises," says a statement posted on the Comic-Con 2007 website.

The conference is apparently to put to rest rumors that started to circulate online that Matt Damon was going to star in the new movie as Captain James T. Kirk. Damon later said in an interview with ign.com that he was "too old" to play the role and that it was nothing but an "internet rumor" and that he was not approached by anyone to be in the film.

It is rumored that Leonard Nimoy will be cast as Spock, or that Zachary Quinto will play the role.

It is also rumored that the movie will be a prequel to the TV show. According to IMDb the movie is going to be "set before 'The Original Series' [when] Kirk and Spock are newly graduated Cadets fresh from Starfleet Academy and are sent on their first space mission."

source:
http://wikinewsreports.blogspot.com/2007/07/press-conference-to-be-held-thursday-on.html

Bryancd

Darth Gaos

OK.....is it going to be televised (on the web or something)?

Kenny...we're countin on you bud for the details as soon as they break!!!!  Wait, is it Kenny that is at the con?  Was anyone from the forum at the con?  If not I guess we have the good ole Newsbot huh?
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Geekyfanboy

I'll be there.. the problem is I might not have internet access... maybe I can call someone and they can post the info to the forums....but if I don't I'm sure it will be all over the sci fi news sites. I'm going to do my best...

Bryancd

You can call me at work Kenny, I have a direct 800 number
800-634-0544, I'll be in from 5:00am-12:30pm PST.

Geekyfanboy

Thanks Bryan for the offer.. but the panel is scheduled for 1:30 to 3:30 so you will be gone already.

Rico

That's around the time I get home from work so I'll be watching online for info.  Kenny, you can always send a quick audio report in to the voice mail line at:  206-666-6127

Geekyfanboy

Rico

Yeah - it would be cool to have someone "on the scene" reporting in.  Sample teleprompter.....

"This is Kenny reporting for the Treks in Sci-Fi Podcast live from the 2007 San Diego Comic Con.  It's just been announced that Justin Timberlake will play Kirk in the next Trek movie along with Lindsay Lohan as Yeoman Rand!"

------  please, please JJ.  Anything but that!  LOL!   :roflmao

the_wasd_man

Hmm... it'll be a race to see who gets the info out first.. TrekMovie.com or TrekSF? Come on Kenny/Rico, make us proud.

Geekyfanboy

the_wasd_man

Bryancd

I liked the other teaser poster better, the one with the blue and gold delta.

the_wasd_man

TrekMovie.com has got the scoop:

* All producers attended (Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof, Burke, and Leopold)
    * Poster revealed
    * Quinto confirmed as Spock
    * Nimoy confirmed to be in the film as Spock
    * Abrams says they are still working on figuring out a way to get Shatner into the film
    * No Kirk has been cast, Abrams asked for suggestions

jedijeff

I was thinking in the back of my mind that the door was not shut on the Shat. If they are talking about getting him into the movie, then I suspect that most likely he will. To bad they dont have anymore details, I guess something to look forward to.