What's everyone reading?

Started by Rico, March 15, 2007, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I'm about to dive into the next TREK Titan book (#2 in the series).  Really liked the first one.  So what is on your nightstand to read?

ryanlb

All the Star Wars novels.  I'm also reading old issues of the Star Wars Insider magazine I picked up months ago.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online

Elizur

Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb.

It's about a guy who was raised from the age of 6 to be an assassin for the King.  He does some bad stuff and is a bit of an unusual hero. 

Jen

Star Wars Allegiance. It takes place right after ANH and features Mara Jade (pre-lightside), Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, Vader and some rogue Stormtroopers. I'm only a few pages in, but its pretty good so far.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Sounds like good stuff folks.  I have that SW book Jen.  I'll be reading it soon.  Let me know what you think of it.

jedijeff

I have been attempting to read Star Wars Dark Nest The Joiner King, but it has been a real slow read for me. I wanted to read that Series before reading the Legacy of the Force series, but if I keep stuttering on it, then I am going to skip it, and just go to Legacy of the Force, as I have never heard any good reviews on the Dark Nest Trilogy. Allegiance sounds really interesting to me, and I really liked Timothy Zahns other Star Wars books, so I will read that one as well, might actually fast track that one to the top of the list, will give Dark Nest another week or so and see how it goes for me.

comix

I am reading the Dark Tower comic books, Brother Odd by Dean Koontz and  The Plitone Revisionist by Paul S. Jenkins (a podiobook)
I have never read any of the Star Wars novels   :blush  is there one that I should start with or any that you would recommend?
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Rico

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn is a great SW novel to start with.

Jen

Quote from: jedijeff on March 15, 2007, 06:27:06 PM
I have been attempting to read Star Wars Dark Nest The Joiner King, but it has been a real slow read for me. I wanted to read that Series before reading the Legacy of the Force series, but if I keep stuttering on it, then I am going to skip it, and just go to Legacy of the Force, as I have never heard any good reviews on the Dark Nest Trilogy. Allegiance sounds really interesting to me, and I really liked Timothy Zahns other Star Wars books, so I will read that one as well, might actually fast track that one to the top of the list, will give Dark Nest another week or so and see how it goes for me.
If I'm not mistaken I belive that I heard a review on Star Wars En Direct about The Dark Nest Trilogy. Audrey, one of the hosts, said that it should be skipped and that you don't need to read it in order to grasp the Legacy of the Force series.  I know I've heard that advice, but I listen to so many Star Wars Podcasts...I can't be certain it was SWEN Direct. It could have also been Nathan Butler's Podcast over on Star Wars Fanworks. Long story short, you're not the only one who thinks it stinks...the good news is isn't not necessary that you read it before Legacy.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

ryanlb

Quote from: comix on March 15, 2007, 06:28:40 PM
I am reading the Dark Tower comic books, Brother Odd by Dean Koontz and  The Plitone Revisionist by Paul S. Jenkins (a podiobook)
I have never read any of the Star Wars novels   :blush  is there one that I should start with or any that you would recommend?

I agree with Rico, Heir to the Empire is a great book, as is Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online

comix

Thanks I will try a couple of those. How about the SW comics? are they worth a look? I love comics  :love
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Bryancd

I'm just finishing up "I, Jedi" and have "Allegiance" waiting in the wings!

Rico

Comix,
I'm enjoying the current SW "Legacy" comic quite a bit.  Set about 100 years or so past Jedi.  Knights of the Old Republic comic is pretty cool too.

ryanlb

Crimson Empire is a great comic, it takes place 5-10 years after Jedi, and focuses on a Royal Guard named Kir Kanos.  It's sort of a sequel to Dark Empire (which isn't bad) and Dark Empire 2/Empire's End which I haven't read.
The Clone Wars comics are GREAT.  Taking place between AOTC and ROTS there are 9 TPBs of different stories, I have volumes 5-9 and they are excellent.
Those are the only ones I've read, aside from the first 5 issues of Legacy.
Pick a time period you like and read the comics from that period, they're all pretty good.

comix

Thank you all! Oh goodie new stuff to read!  :love