What's everyone reading?

Started by Rico, March 15, 2007, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedijeff

Quote from: Jen on March 15, 2007, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: jedijeff on March 15, 2007, 06:27:06 PM
I have been attempting to read Star Wars Dark Nest The Joiner King, but it has been a real slow read for me. I wanted to read that Series before reading the Legacy of the Force series, but if I keep stuttering on it, then I am going to skip it, and just go to Legacy of the Force, as I have never heard any good reviews on the Dark Nest Trilogy. Allegiance sounds really interesting to me, and I really liked Timothy Zahns other Star Wars books, so I will read that one as well, might actually fast track that one to the top of the list, will give Dark Nest another week or so and see how it goes for me.
If I'm not mistaken I belive that I heard a review on Star Wars En Direct about The Dark Nest Trilogy. Audrey, one of the hosts, said that it should be skipped and that you don't need to read it in order to grasp the Legacy of the Force series.  I know I've heard that advice, but I listen to so many Star Wars Podcasts...I can't be certain it was SWEN Direct. It could have also been Nathan Butler's Podcast over on Star Wars Fanworks. Long story short, you're not the only one who thinks it stinks...the good news is isn't not necessary that you read it before Legacy.

Thanks Jen

I have heard a few say it was not worth the time, and really starting to beleive that. I will give it a few more weeks, but it looks like they will return to my book shelf so that I can read others. I think I have heard Nathan Butler mention they were not worth the time on one of his podcasts. Have to agree with him as well regarding the Dark Times comic, as it has been fairly disappointing so far.

Jeff

jedijeff

I have to Agree with Rico and Ryan, if you are starting reading Star Wars Books, the Zahn Thrawn trilogy is probably the best place to start. I could literally see it all happening in my head, and very easy to read. As well Darth Maul Shadow Hunter was very good as well, and probably the star wars book I enjoyed the most after the Thrawn Trilogy.

Darth Gaos

Quote from: Jen on March 15, 2007, 05:44:15 PM
Star Wars Allegiance. It takes place right after ANH and features Mara Jade (pre-lightside), Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, Vader and some rogue Stormtroopers. I'm only a few pages in, but its pretty good so far.

My brother also recommended this book...I may have to pick it up.

I recently finished Darth Bane:  Path to Destruction.  Great read with quite a bit of insight into the Sith that created the "Rule of Two"

Other than that I must admit I read very little sci-fi.  On TV and on the screen I love it but in print....most of the time it bores me to tears with  the Star Wars universe being a notable exception.  For some reason Sci-Fi has always bee a very visual thing for me.

I typically read books dealing with military history, historical fiction and I must say I LOVE alternate history...there is something about the age old question "What if...?" that really fascinates me.

That being said I am currently finishing up a book titled Dumb But Lucky:  The Confessions of a P-51 Mustang Pilot in World War II...this is a sub-genre of military history that I love..."First Person accounts"
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Jen

Quote from: Bryancd on March 16, 2007, 07:22:19 AM
I'm just finishing up "I, Jedi" and have "Allegiance" waiting in the wings!

Its very good Bryanâ€"you're going to really enjoy it. I've read about three chapters... so far its great!  Its very hard to put down.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

I did start in on book 2 in the TREK Titan series titled the Red King.  About 100 pages in so far and liking it.

Jobydrone

I had a hard time with Red King, did not inspire me to pick up book three yet, but I 'm sure I will read it.  I am working through Crucible:  Spock right now, another in the three part series with the Kirk book coming out thiss month, might have already come out actually.  So far I like it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jen

Quote from: Darth Gaos on March 20, 2007, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: Jen on March 15, 2007, 05:44:15 PM
Star Wars Allegiance. It takes place right after ANH and features Mara Jade (pre-lightside), Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, Vader and some rogue Stormtroopers. I'm only a few pages in, but its pretty good so far.
I recently finished Darth Bane:  Path to Destruction.  Great read with quite a bit of insight into the Sith that created the "Rule of Two"

Oooo...Yeah, I loved that book. I hope they start a series of those. The author left it in sort of a cliff hanger.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Duffster

I am reading the Ben Bova Asteroid Wars series currently for my lunch book. Pretty good Sci-fi. I am also re-reading my entire Star Trek novel collection, starting from the start. I just finished Spock Must Die!!. I am also in the middle of the Pupped Masters.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I've never been good at reading multiple books at one time.  I probably could since I read many comics, and other things each month as well as a book.  Sounds like you are reading some good stuff there Duffster.  I also read during lunch.

Duffster

Well if I'm not reading at least a couple of books, and have a pile to be read..... i get the heebee jeebies! You should see me when I go on a business trip! I have to carry 3-4 books, just in case I get delayed somewhere.

One series I haven't read in a long time are any Star Wars books. I loved the Zahn books. but haven't paid a lot of attention to any since. I think I will need to pick up some of the ones that you are all talking about.

duffster
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

There are SO many Star Wars books.  It's getting close to TREK level in books!

Duffster

Well I did listen to most of the New Jedi Order series on my way to work. I love the library! But nothing since. Wow I just checked out the Wikipedia site for Star Wars books...Holy Cow, you are not kidding. I got a lot of catching up to do!
www.thehugonaut.com

psikeyhackr

I am currently in the middle of two books, Echos of Honor, the 8th book in the Honor Harrington series, by David Weber and I.Asimov a Memoir the autobiography of Isaac Asimov.

I suppose I.Asimov is the better of the two but I read the 10th book in the Honor series and skipped 8 and 9 so now I have to go back and fill in the gaps.

I like the Miles Vorkosagan series by Lois M. Bujold better than the Harrington series.  The characters seem more textured and human.  Sometimes Weber's analogy of the People's Republic to the French Revolution is funny and sometimes it is tiresome.

There are lots of things about Asimov I never would have guessed.  He was a lousy chess player, could hardly ride a bicycle and hated airplanes.  Apparently that influeced his caves of steel series.  He also considered a career as a historian and liked historical novels and that brought about the Foundation series.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Bryancd

I am now just vinishing up "The Making of Star Wars" and woll be moving on to the latest Star Trek: Vangaurd book...

moyer777

I just finished Star Trek TNG The Genesis Wave- Book 1.   It was great. 
I am in the middle of Voyager:Homecoming, which my wife stole from me...  :)
And I will be starting The Genesis Wave book 2 soon.

I haven't ever read any Trek books before, they are pretty good.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com