• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

SW: Ep II & III - 3D in 2013

Started by Rico, August 26, 2012, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

Quote from: Bryancd on January 28, 2013, 03:06:10 PM
Figure they spent $10M to do the conversion of TPM and $10M for Fox to advertise. It grossed $43M. So it makes made money, made fans happy, and required ZERO work from any of the creative team. Over saturation? Laughable, this is Disney and LucasFilm, two of the biggest film marketing and licensing juggernauts ever. Imagine the excitement of building into an Ep VII release with Ep VI in theaters in 3D a few months before. If anything it's a foolish marketing decision. There's likely something else driving this, be it the company that was doing the conversion and their relationship with Disney or something along those lines.
You are correct on that, but how many fans did they piss off with what many perceived to be another money grab? I think that there was a huge amount of negativity when 1 in 3d was released. While you might have enjoyed it, Ep 1 did generate a lot of negative press and I'm going to guess that this was a factor in their decision. By breaking way from something many fans had a problem with, you convince them that the franchise is in good hands without spending a dime.

Meds

Hmm. Well I'm afraid I didn't see the conversion version. Couldn't care less about it as didn't like PM and I don't like 3D but its a shame for the people who enjoy it all and as figures show it made money.

I think as previously said this is a decision made purely to keep interest focused on the upcoming film(s) and marketing wise that's only right. You need to sell new material rather than going back and messing ( lessons learned I feel)

Still I'm sure once the new film is out the re-issues will commence and honestly it wouldn't suprise me if we see all films shown building up to the new one and as much as the prequels annoy me I'll swallow my niggles and do a film build up in anticipation. Pressure on for JJ.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on January 28, 2013, 03:28:02 PM
]You are correct on that, but how many fans did they piss off with what many perceived to be another money grab? I think that there was a huge amount of negativity when 1 in 3d was released. While you might have enjoyed it, Ep 1 did generate a lot of negative press and I'm going to guess that this was a factor in their decision. By breaking way from something many fans had a problem with, you convince them that the franchise is in good hands without spending a dime.

Many fans didn't have a problem with it. Vocal internet fans did. $43 million dollars proves your contention incorrect. You know how many parents took their kids to see it, loving the opportunity to see a STAR WARS film in theater with a new generation for the first time? Spare me the internet fanboy rage and give me a Dad and his 5 year old son seeing a movie together. What ill will? Unbelievable. You can't piss off a rational person by creating a product they are NOT REQUIRED TO BUY. You can piss off some internet moron with a keyboard who likes to yell that George Lucas is greedy.

Meds

Isla will be of good age to see the new one if its a U rating and as much as I don't like the prequels (and I don't like them purely because I think they are poor scripts, sorry my opinion) I would love to take her to see ANY Star Wars film at the flicks. Now she loves A New Hope, we watch it all the time but she doesn't care much for PM, not sure why that is I think it's because she likes Chewey lol.

Bryancd

Now the official site is saying just that EpII and III in 3D have been postponed. So they are leaving the door open for the OT, which is smart, they should do a coordinated release of the OT in 3D leading into the release of Ep VII...which will likely also be in 3D. Take that haters! :) Actually it will be interesting to see if they do go the full filmed in 3D route..

Meds

Well I hope they release OT in nice standard edition as well. Or even better original version re-mastered. That would be great.

Bryancd

Quote from: Meds on January 28, 2013, 03:50:50 PM
Well I hope they release OT in nice standard edition as well. Or even better original version re-mastered. That would be great.

I know, but I doubt it. If they are going to spend the money they will want it to be "new". Especially considering if Ep. VII is filmed in 3D then they will want to create an integrated visual experience for the new audience that may have never seen the OT in theaters.

Meds

True, but one can hope. As someone who has only seen the updated New Hope on screen I'd love to see the original.

X

Bryan 43 million is a not a lot of money in today's market. It's also not a lot of seats when you factor in the 3d surcharge.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on January 28, 2013, 04:46:14 PM
Bryan 43 million is a not a lot of money in today's market. It's also not a lot of seats when you factor in the 3d surcharge.

No, but simple math makes it an almost 100% return on on invested capital. This isn;t about the economics or in accurate "perceived" fan reaction. This is likely marketing focus shifting to being more supportive of the OT. If Disney can release the OT in 3D leading into Ep VII, that's low hanging fruit and an easy marketing decision.

ChrisMC

Quote from: X on January 28, 2013, 04:46:14 PM
Yeah, that'd barely fuel my private jet! ;)

But seriously, considering marketing and all the rest, it's not impressive. The '97 re-releases added hundreds of millions to the total.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

I didn't go see the 3D of PM because I didn't think it was worth the extra money to see it. Probably would go see II & III and would be there for IV, V & VI! I did see ANH in theaters when I was a kid and saw it again when they released the new version. I'm not big into 3D only seeing "The Last Airbender" & "Green Lantern" but I would love to see them release the original trilogy before the new movie comes out. So they better get started!

jedijeff

If they want to focus on the new movies, then I can live with the decision. Was looking forward to seeing all the movies in 3D, and enjoyed the Phantom Menace in 3D. I guess they can revisit it again in the future.

Dangelus

I think both Chris and Meds have hit on all the points I would have made regarding why I think this is a good decision so I don't think I need to say much more.

What I will say is that it's all well and good saying we don't have to see what they put out but since I live in the real world and on a limited income with no disposal money this " internet moron with a keyboard" is glad he doesn't have to deal with disappointing his 6 year old daughter crying because we can't go and see / buy every version of the same star wars movie Lucasfilm put out. And we've not even talked about the merchandise! Lucky for me she is not into these things yet (although I'm trying!)

OK Lucasfilm are not alone in the way they monetise their product and I have to go without a lot myself but it's refreshing they are taking this stance. Although my suspicion is that like Bryan says they are shifting the focus to the OT add it ties in closer to these new movies than the PT. Perhaps Disney are attempting to quietly forget the PT?

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on January 28, 2013, 09:35:01 PM
OK Lucasfilm are not alone in the way they monetise their product and I have to go without a lot myself but it's refreshing they are taking this stance. Although my suspicion is that like Bryan says they are shifting the focus to the OT add it ties in closer to these new movies than the PT. Perhaps Disney are attempting to quietly forget the PT?

I'm sorry to belabor the point, Dan, but how can it be refreshing, based on what you are contending, when they are clearly not doing this to save you money? Had they made an announcement stating "We are canceling these releases in an effort to not compel people to feel obligated to waste their money" I would agree that's the motivation but people throwing around fan rage, GL milking us for money, it will detreact from the creative process, ect. just seems  like so much noise.

Putting one and one together, with the rumor that JJ may not want to adhere to a 2015 release date, that would be an issue for releasing these in theaters assuming they want to get the marketing timing right. So I think it does bode well for the OT being released in 3D but delayed so that they coincide with what is now potentially a moving release date.