• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

SW: Ep II & III - 3D in 2013

Started by Rico, August 26, 2012, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Yes, Meds, I give you a pass for your indiscretions based on your youth. :)

Meds

LOL ;) I'm 5 years younger than you old man ha ha :D

Feathers

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on November 28, 2012, 02:07:51 PM
LOL ;) I'm 5 years younger than you old man ha ha :D

Oy! Watch it!

Nothing wrong with being 5 years older than you are.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

Ah well, I'd rather have new films rather then yet another re-re-re-release.

X

That makes sense and I was shocked that it only did 23 mil in rerelease of Ep 1.

Sorry, that story listed it at 23, but it was actually 43 domestic ... still not impressive.

ChrisMC

What's interesting to me is they add that to the sum total of Ep1. It is weird to re-release the most polarizing movie in Star Wars to launch the 3d conversions. I think you could have gotten more butts in seats with A New Hope, but who knows. My kids like the prequels better. Generational thing, I guess.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

billybob476

According to starwars.com the releases are "postponed".

http://starwars.com/news/focusing-on-star-wars-episode-vii-lucasfilm-postpones-episodes-ii-and-iii-3d.html

QuoteLucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date.

Dangelus

A great decision. Being under new management they seem to have finally realised they can still make money without doing rehash and offering the fans real, new cinematic content. This bodes well for the future!

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on January 28, 2013, 01:44:53 PM
A great decision. Being under new management they seem to have finally realised they can still make money without doing rehash and offering the fans real, new cinematic content. This bodes well for the future!

Well I am very disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing them. And I really don't get Dan how you can be happy about this. If you didn't want to go, don't go. But don't take pleasure in the fact that I don't get to see it. WTF is that?

X

Quote from: Bryancd on January 28, 2013, 01:52:47 PM
Quote from: Dangelus on January 28, 2013, 01:44:53 PM

Well I am very disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing them. And I really don't get Dan how you can be happy about this. If you didn't want to go, don't go. But don't take pleasure in the fact that I don't get to see it. WTF is that?
I'm happy about the news too Bryan. It's not because you can't see it, it's because they are actually focusing on the new trilogy. It also is good because an over-saturation of the movies could poison the well. I'm happy that the creative focus will be on the future of the franchise. So, I think that there is room to be happy at the news when you look at the big picture.

They were going to release 3d every year or two years and that would seriously conflict with the schedule for the new trilogy in the long run. It's better to get the news now than when it was going to be released.

Rico

They did this because 3-D sucks!  :)

(volley to Bryan...hehe)

Bryancd

Quote from: X on January 28, 2013, 02:37:09 PM
I'm happy about the news too Bryan. It's not because you can't see it, it's because they are actually focusing on the new trilogy. It also is good because an over-saturation of the movies could poison the well. I'm happy that the creative focus will be on the future of the franchise. So, I think that there is room to be happy at the news when you look at the big picture.

They were going to release 3d every year or two years and that would seriously conflict with the schedule for the new trilogy in the long run. It's better to get the news now than when it was going to be released.

One has nothing to do with the other. Everything you are saying is pure and utter speculation not based on any material of financial fact. You assume the creative and financial and movie goer focus will suffer some fantastical form of dilution? I'm sorry, are you privy to same bit of insider financial and intellectual accounting withinDisney and LucasFilm we are not aware of? Seriously, that's a load, Chris.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on January 28, 2013, 02:53:02 PM
They did this because 3-D sucks!  :)

(volley to Bryan...hehe)

That I can live with, much more intellectually honest. :)

Bryancd

Figure they spent $10M to do the conversion of TPM and $10M for Fox to advertise. It grossed $43M. So it makes made money, made fans happy, and required ZERO work from any of the creative team. Over saturation? Laughable, this is Disney and LucasFilm, two of the biggest film marketing and licensing juggernauts ever. Imagine the excitement of building into an Ep VII release with Ep VI in theaters in 3D a few months before. If anything it's a foolish marketing decision. There's likely something else driving this, be it the company that was doing the conversion and their relationship with Disney or something along those lines.