• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Windows 8 tablets

Started by Rico, June 04, 2012, 08:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This is one huge tablet.  Too big in my opinion, but hey maybe someone will like them.

AIPEI — Taiwan PC makers Acer and Asus on Monday took another shot at gaining a foothold in the tablet market, unveiling several new products running on Microsoft's much-anticipated Windows 8 operating system.
The companies showed off the tablets on the eve of Computex, Asia's largest IT fair, which is held in Taipei this week for the 32nd time with Windows 8 expected to be a key focus.
Acer, which cut several hundred jobs in Europe last year as it struggles to branch into the tablet computer sector, unveiled the W510 and W700.
"Windows 8 is a historic moment for the worldwide Windows eco-system," said J. T. Wang, Acer's chairman, at a briefing in Taipei where the company also unveiled its new Aspire S7, a small laptop that runs on Windows 8...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jfUY8SRuZlWVjR86D-mnK4NOfO0Q?docId=CNG.2ef7d92f5a6586fb67dc4c456ff94dae.511

Bryancd

Rico

Yeah - it would be like having a monitor on your lap!  I suppose if it's going to be your main PC and you will use it in some kind of stand on a desk it might be ok.  Keep in mind, not all Windows tablets will be this big - of course.

Jobydrone

That would look good hanging on the wall next to my bed but it doesn't look very portable to me.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Maybe that gal holding it is only 4'5"... :)

Zarabeth32

Quote from: Bryancd on June 04, 2012, 08:47:01 AM
ZOIKS!  :shocked

Is it Zoiks! or Zoinks! I can never remember.

Would be great for students in school. We're just starting to get Smart boards, and Kindle Fires here for students to use.

Z
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

Jobydrone

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

That OS still looks awful and uncoordinated...

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 04, 2012, 10:46:44 AM

King

I'm the last person to defend anything Microsoft related but I have heard pretty positive thnings about Windows 8.

billybob476

I've heard good things about the underlying OS layers, I've heard quite a few complaints about Metro and how it is not very "discoverable" (i.e. it's not obvious how to go about doing things). Microsoft is doing a good thing trying to move paradigms forward, but there's going to be a lot of resistance from the enterprise on this new interface.

As usual, only time will tell how successful Win8 is.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on June 04, 2012, 10:48:29 AM

King

I'm the last person to defend anything Microsoft related but I have heard pretty positive thnings about Windows 8.

And I've heard a lot of negative things, from people I didn't even expect negative reactions. Heck, Mozilla is blasting Windows 8 from being an OS that is overcontrolled by Microsoft. Its rather scary that the same phrases used to describe Apple (overzealous, controlling, etc) can now apply to Microsoft and Windows 8. I never expected that to happen. And I can't say I much like the idea of MS locking down the OS. I may have a lot of issues with MS, but at least they let us use the OS how we choose, and not how they decide.
http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web/mozilla-chief-blasts-windows-8-for-return-to-dark-ages-1079848

And yes, I realize how ironic this posts is, coming from an Apple user. But I also believe that open-source has just as much place in our technology and if Mozilla is being locked out, how long until everyone else is?

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

billybob476

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 04, 2012, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on June 04, 2012, 10:48:29 AM

King

And I've heard a lot of negative things, from people I didn't even expect negative reactions. Heck, Mozilla is blasting Windows 8 from being an OS that is overcontrolled by Microsoft. Its rather scary that the same phrases used to describe Apple (overzealous, controlling, etc) can now apply to Microsoft and Windows 8. I never expected that to happen. And I can't say I much like the idea of MS locking down the OS. I may have a lot of issues with MS, but at least they let us use the OS how we choose, and not how they decide.
http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web/mozilla-chief-blasts-windows-8-for-return-to-dark-ages-1079848

And yes, I realize how ironic this posts is, coming from an Apple user. But I also believe that open-source has just as much place in our technology and if Mozilla is being locked out, how long until everyone else is?

King

King, you gotta check your history, those phrases were used to describe Microsoft loooong before Apple. This is a major UI shift. There will be pushback from the userbase. If companies never changed thigns up we'd still be staring at C:\> on our screens.

X

I've been playing with Windows 8 an it works fine. I also know that the mozilla arguments are crap and were refuted the day that they complained.

King, I hate to tell you, but MS is still open. Parts of it won't be open, but that's still better than 100% closed.

I think it's funny that people like to complain about stability and virus susceptibility, but when an easy solution is presented, guess what, people complain.

I also think that is really cool that MS is basically giving away the OS to new computer buyers from now to next year for 15 bucks.

Meds

Quote from: Bryancd on June 04, 2012, 08:59:05 AM
Maybe that gal holding it is only 4'5"... :)

:roflmao Oh my...

Dangelus

I am very  interested to see how W8 does. Mixed feedback so far and this is from techy people. When the general public get to see it that will be telling, especially as they'll have no choice but to use it when buying new PCs. I wonder if we will see what happen back in the Vista days where some manufacturers were offering OS downgrades to XP when people requested it?

I've tried it, not keen on Metro at all and it doesn't really really add anything feature wise that I'm interested in (especially as there is no change in Windows Media Center except that you have to pay for it now!) so I'll be sticking to W7 on my machines that run Windows.

On the tablet side I can see it working very well.