• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Windows 8 tablets

Started by Rico, June 04, 2012, 08:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on June 17, 2012, 04:51:29 PM
I think Windows 8 is going to be pretty good. I think it will be slow to be adopted for PC users. I think it was very well made for portable devices.

I would make that *really slow to be adopted for PC users* if the transition from XP to 7 is any indication of how people disliked the upgrade. I still hear from people that still want XP back on their computers. I actually prefer quite a few of the changes 7 brought to the OS (better downloads folder, search and other things) but to still hear people want XP is...not favorable for 8.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 17, 2012, 11:36:27 PM
I think Windows 8 is going to be pretty good. I think it will be slow to be adopted for PC users. I think it was very well made for portable devices.

I would make that *really slow to be adopted for PC users* if the transition from XP to 7 is any indication of how people disliked the upgrade. I still hear from people that still want XP back on their computers. I actually prefer quite a few of the changes 7 brought to the OS (better downloads folder, search and other things) but to still hear people want XP is...not favorable for 8.

King
The problem is that people want what other people tell them they want. A lot of the holdouts for XP still don't even know what an OS does, why it needs to grow, or the need for new iterations. Computers are still a magic box to them.

The only reason they want XP is because it's a comfort food they they've seen on their company computers and never had to really worry about issues because the IT worker elves take care of that while they are at home at night.

Businesses are going to adopt 8 and when they do, the typical computer users won't even remember XP with 6 months. People could care less on what number is behind the product as long as it makes them feel like they actually know how to use it.

Nothing is easier to use than pictures that you have to touch to get somewhere.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: X on June 18, 2012, 10:26:05 AM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 17, 2012, 11:36:27 PM

King
The problem is that people want what other people tell them they want. A lot of the holdouts for XP still don't even know what an OS does, why it needs to grow, or the need for new iterations. Computers are still a magic box to them.

The only reason they want XP is because it's a comfort food they they've seen on their company computers and never had to really worry about issues because the IT worker elves take care of that while they are at home at night.

Businesses are going to adopt 8 and when they do, the typical computer users won't even remember XP with 6 months. People could care less on what number is behind the product as long as it makes them feel like they actually know how to use it.

Nothing is easier to use than pictures that you have to touch to get somewhere.

Hmm, idk about businesses. I haven't heard enough "general opinions" from businesses to know if they are going to adopt win 8 or not. So...*shrug*

Your right about XP being comfort food for people, as that's what I generally get from people that still pine for XP to be on their machines again. I, frankly, can't tolerate some of the issues XP still has that 7 fixed/improved. Plus Aero just looks so much better hehehehe. :) but yes, for many people the computer is still a magic box that they wish it just worked for them and nothing went wrong. (Well, I wish it was but I know better ;)) Which really is an interesting mentality when we work for hours on cars or houses or what not.

Idk, it will really come down to how Win 8 works and how people adapt to it. The months after launch will be telling I suppose.

King

Rico

Dangelus

From what I've heard it was going to leak so had to roll with it :)

MSFT not as slick and locked down with these announcements and product info as Apple is obviously. Lol

In terms of the device, I'm quite impressed. It's nice to see them do their own hardware again and hopefully it will be a success unlike the Zune.

They need to get pricing right in this thing though. The ARM version needs to be price comparable to the iPad to even try to compete in their space. They have already hinted that the x86 version will be price comparable to ultrabooks and that makes sense.

Not sure I'd personally want to switch but competition is good. :)

Rico

Yep - competition is good.  It would be nice if they can price this lower than the iPad.  Without that incentive it's going to be a tough hill to climb I think.

X

I'm on board for it. Not a tough sell for me since I love the Widows OS and tolerate iOS

KingIsaacLinksr

It would be nice if we actually knew anything about it, but they were quiet about tech specs and such....

King

Rico

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 19, 2012, 11:09:00 AM
It would be nice if we actually knew anything about it, but they were quiet about tech specs and such....

King

Probably because they are still very much undecided at this point.

Bromptonboy

These look compelling, and could be very useful to me.  Love the idea of a the keyboard cover.  Once I get a better gander at the specs & prices, I can make an informed decision. 
Pete

PaulECoyote

People are getting passionate about this stuff.  Interesting.  I wonder if buzz can build until launch rather than disappear.  Again I will hold my own judgement until I actually physically get to use the thing.  http://gizmodo.com/5919521/microsoft-surface-just-made-the-macbook-air-and-the-ipad-obsolete

Meds

Price is quite high though. In the newspaper today they say it's going to be around £450 and wifi only. Darn steep.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on June 20, 2012, 12:30:35 AM
Price is quite high though. In the newspaper today they say it's going to be around £450 and wifi only. Darn steep.
That is too much in my book - and should be more in line with a high end model budget.  If they price this closer to the iPad equivalents, I might bite.
Pete

Rico

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on June 20, 2012, 12:30:35 AM

That pricing is guess work.  Nothing has been officially set.  But I will say if they cost more than an equivalent iPad they will not sell well.

Jobydrone

Well if Microsoft is aiming to have this tablet replace the laptop computer for the majority of users, and makes those kinds of tasks simple to perform (unlike Apple who wants to keep selling their Macbooks) then I can see a higher price point being more successful as people's laptops begin to die and they replace them with tablets.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx