• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Using Playstation TV as my iMac Monitor

Started by Jobydrone, October 24, 2012, 05:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

I've mentioned elsewhere on the forums but wanted to post here for some advice...

MY iMac display has crapped out and thanks to good advice from Rico (THANK YOU BUDDY) I did some research and found that rather than going out and buying a new computer or a new LCD screen for the iMac I can use my existing TV (the Playstation 3D monitor I bought a while ago) to mirror the screen.  So I bought a mini-display port to HDMI adapter at the Apple store and it's working great, I can do all the stuff on my existing computer which still works great without having to deal with the horrible flickering on the bottom of the screen.  I am even lucky enough my iMac is the first model that pushes audio through the mini display port, so I don't have to deal with external speakers or have the audio come out from under my desk.  It does look pretty ridiculous with a 27" iMac under my computer table and a 24" monitor on the table (the computer is well vented so no problem with heat).

My only problem is the resolution.  I'm limited to the resolution the TV can display, which is 1080p.  I am used to my iMac resolution which is something ridiculous like 2560 x 1440, gorgeous.  Movies and games are fine the way it stands, but text on websites and email looks terrible and pixelated, very fuzzy.  I looked at video options and theres some different "refresh rates" I can try (24 hertz, 50 Hertz, and 60 hertz, it defaults on 24) but I can't tell what that does or what it really means.  Can anyone think of anything that can improve this or should I just count my blessings that I have a cheap working fix and get used to it?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

davekill

Refresh rates used to be an issue on CRT displays to adjust for any noticeable screen flicker.
If the 24" monitor your using now is an LCD display I think your stuck with what it's capable of at it's default rate.
You could try a lower resolution in your system display preferences to see if the text sharpens up that way, but you'll loose screen space.

Jobydrone

Yeah I want to keep it widescreen...I was pretty sure that was the case.  I guess I'll save up for a nice monitor or maybe even a new computer and use this as a temporary fix.  I'm just glad I don't have to see that horrible flickering/mirroring anymore. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx