• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

5 questions with George Lucas...

Started by Bryancd, February 10, 2012, 07:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Oh boy, the Greedo part isn't going over well....
:ohwell
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523

Apparently we were all confused back in '77!

jedijeff

Interesting Article. Not sure if I really follow Georges reasoning on Greedo. It is hard for me to remember exactly how I felt about that scene when I saw it in the Theatre as a kid, since I have now seen the other takes that sort of blur the picture in my mind. But if I recall, I don't think I was confused when I saw it and I was 8 at the time. I think I just recalled that Han had to shoot Greedo or he would be shot himself. I am not sure if I would go full on self defense angle, as I thought he was a cool dude after he Shot Greedo and flipped the coin, but I think I realized he had to do something in that situation.

billybob476

I agree. To me it was clear that Han shot first, however Greedo already had him at gunpoint. What was he to do? He wasn't being a 'cold blooded killer' he was trying to save his butt.

Jobydrone

I agree with everything said here, but to me the tone of that interview says Lucas simply seems sick of talking about it, and defending creative decisions he is well within his right to make.  I see his point and kind of wish everyone (not here on the forums mind you but just the world in general) would leave him alone and let him do what he wants.  Nothing he does changes one iota of how I feel about the films or characters, and that's what's important in the long run. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

George is either just trying to defend his changes or he is out of touch with many things.  I saw the original "Star Wars" film in the theaters in the summer of 1977 over 20 times.  Han shot first - period.  The film was cut than way, that's the way everyone that saw that movie perceived it.  Even if Lucas intended for it to not be that way, that is what people got.  I've always said he can alter anything he wants, I think some of us would just like a real nice copy of the original version too.

Now, on to his point about "all" these movies getting changed?  Where is he seeing this??  Like 99.9% of films never get altered after they are made and released.  The reason "Star Wars" gets such heat is he changes it practically yearly and a LOT of people like it and buy each new version.  So it's in the public eye.  My advice to you George is either stick to your guns and make the changes you want and let the chips fall.  Or maybe start thinking about giving the fans what they actually want too.

Jobydrone

To me it's just that every argument that can be made, has been made, on both sides of the debate.  I still think that the whole "artistic vision" of the films is a smoke screen to build hype and anticipation for when he eventually releases the huge box set for an exhorbitant amount of money that will include pristine copies of the original theatrical cuts.

I do disagree with the 99.9% figure you quote, Rico.  It seems like almost every big budget movie made nowadays has a "special edition" or "director's cut" eventually released on home video.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

Quote from: Jobydrone on February 10, 2012, 10:02:16 AMI do disagree with the 99.9% figure you quote, Rico.  It seems like almost every big budget movie made nowadays has a "special edition" or "director's cut" eventually released on home video.

Yes but the original versions remain available.

Bryancd

Yeah, I never had an issue as an 8 year old with Han shooting first. I do find him trying to effectively say he always meant to have Han shooting first pretty inconceivable. But I can just ignore stuff like this and continue to love the STAR WARS universe and not hate on the man.

Dangelus

Saw things about this on Twitter. You'd think he's got a movie out or something to attract this sort of controversy on purpose....

Bryancd

Honestly, at this point I get the impression he just doesn't give a rats ass anymore,

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on February 10, 2012, 12:57:17 PM
Honestly, at this point I get the impression he just doesn't give a rats ass anymore,

If that's the case then it's probably the only thing me and Lucas agree on . ;)

KingIsaacLinksr

Honestly, I've seen the original scene just a few days ago and it is...vague.  It doesn't show who shot first clearly and if you took it to court, they would be debating for months on who shot first.  You get the impression that Han MIGHT have shot first, but you never actually see it. 

The redone scene makes it clear. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

I never saw the scene as being even remotely vague. He slips the blaster out of the holster slowly under the table while distracting him with his other hand fiddling with the wall and then drills him. Cut!

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on February 10, 2012, 01:25:15 PM
I never saw the scene as being even remotely vague. He slips the blaster out of the holster slowly under the table while distracting him with his other hand fiddling with the wall and then drills him. Cut!

Except we never see him pull the trigger.  We actually don't see who pulls the trigger first and don't forget that Greedo had his gun out first. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

King, you didn't see the original version. In that version, Greedo never got off a shot. In the remastered version, han shoots first and there is a cgi head dodge. in the remastering of the remastering, greedo shoots first.

George is an ass if he expects us to believe that Greedo shot first. He didn't shoot at all. There was no sound of him shooting and we all have to be f-ing idiots to believe that the technology didn't exist at the time to make the scene right.

He changed his mind on it, which is his right, but don't piss on my head and call it rain.