• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

HBO's Game of Thrones

Started by Bromptonboy, August 18, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Quote from: beer on July 27, 2010, 01:11:14 PM
There's a nice (nutshell) review of the books and author's technique at this site:

englishasaworldlanguage.blogspot.com/2010/07/song-of-ice-and-fire-game-of-thrones.html

I see a lot of news/info about the books and adaptation... If folks here are interested I'll be happy to post stuff, but I don't want it to seem like spam, so please let me know if it seems too much :)
Please do post the news!
Pete

beer

For those in the UK, GRRM has confirmed that aGoT will be showing in the UK - on SKY. (up to now this had been an unknown and ironic since it's being filmed there)

SKY has bought rights to all of HBO's stuff.

beer

Charles Dance Cast as Tywin Lannister: The last really major casting announcement has been made... http://bit.ly/aDMiB3

Winter is coming... It is known... Hodor!

Bromptonboy

Pete

Blackride

I really hope they do not make the show as bloody as the books. I cringed alot with the violence in the books. Other than that these are some of my favorite stories.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

beer

I've been wondering about this as well. The books are sprickled with POV observations of the world around them - many times violent - for example those glimpsed by a spunky little horse-faced wolf.

It's being said that HBO is the network to tackle this project. I can't remember having watched the channel since Fraggle Rock in the 80's but will believe the ppl :) But I suspect even they will pull a lot of punches - perhaps having already done so with the aging of the kids.

I'm on the other side from you :) and hope they put everything in.

Also of note for fans here who haven't heard... They're creating a language for the series: Dorathaki <sp>

beer

good, quick read:

theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/08/a-whole-new-world/60746/

beer

also HBO now has official twitter acct for GoT news @gameofthrones (don't forget @westerosorg and @wicnet)

Big night - guess HBO got bunch of new subscribers just to see the previews during the truebood show.

@wicnet was posting "live" so it was kinda exciting, tho still: times like this I wish I had TV :)

KC

My fiance's brother is getting HBO simply because of Game of Thrones. Both of them are huge fans of the books and I'm pretty sure that they're going to have Game of Thrones parties... or feasts, rather. ;) But it looks as if it's going to be fantastic.

beer

source http://io9.com/5653546/geeks-guide-to-the-galaxy-+-at-last-a-podcast-on-io9

Starting next week, io9 will be the new home of popular podcast, Geek's Guide to the Galaxy. Next week's episode will feature an interview with author George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones). Get ready!

Geek's Guide to the Galaxy is an interview/talk show hosted by Lightspeed magazine editor John Joseph Adams, who has also edited numerous anthologies such as Wastelands and The Living Dead, along with author David Barr Kirtley, who has published short stories in many magazines as well as New Voices In Science Fiction and Fantasy: The Best of the Year.

The show, formerly hosted at Tor.com, covers fantasy and science fiction in literature, film, graphic novels, and video games, as well as related topics such as science, technology, and critical thinking. Guests include novelists such as Naomi Novik (the Temeraire Series), Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles), and Paolo Bacigalupi (The Windup Girl), as well as filmmakers like Alexandre Philippe (The People vs. George Lucas), comic book writers like Marjorie Liu (Dark Wolverine) and science writers such as P. W. Singer (Wired for War).

We hope you're as excited as we are to welcome John and David into the operating room where we'll install their brain implants and make them io9ers. We'll be posting the new episode with George R. R. Martin next week on Wednesday.

Geekyfanboy

Inside Game of Thrones Video so FANTASTIC... really getting me excited for the series.. I may even go back and try and read the first novel again.. got about halfway through before giving up on it.. it's an extremely dark fantasy.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on December 30, 2010, 01:57:14 PM
Inside Game of Thrones Video so FANTASTIC... really getting me excited for the series.. I may even go back and try and read the first novel again.. got about halfway through before giving up on it.. it's an extremely dark fantasy.
This is a really great series, but it's also more realistic with it's politics and violence in the time frame that it's in. That being said, the series is also a very adult based series. Magic is not nice there and good does not always win.