• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Voyager Talk

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 21, 2005, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picard_delta_5

message in a bottle is def up there for me... probably in my top 5 voyager eps... amazing episode
Star Trek Will Rise Again

Darkmolerman

he-he the cleshey(as in that commonly known frace) message in the bottle
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Geekyfanboy

As many of you know I'm a huge fan of Voyager.. it's right up there with TNG for me. I was surfing you tube and found some great clips.

The first one was a really good season cliffhanger, the episode is called Unimatrix Zero

This is the last ten minutes of the series.. everytime I see this it gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes.

billybob476

I don't know, I've always liked Voyager but I generally consider it the weakest Trek. It seems to me like it should have been darker overall, the ship was generally in good repair, they always had enough to eat, they had a never ending supply of shuttles...There never seemed to be enough WRONG considering they were all alone 70,000 light years from home.

I never really liked Janeway as a Captain. She was too much of a scientist, I guess I just couldn't relate to her on any level. The doctor was good for a laugh, as was Neelix. The rest of the crew just didn't really do it for me.

Don't get me wrong, there were some good episodes. Anything with the Borg was pretty fun. The one where the ship gets taken over and the crew gets used in war simulations was good as well. I liked how they integrated Barclay and Troi and i think this series did for the Borg and holograms what DS9 did for Klingons and Ferrengi. It really fleshed them out as a true part of the trek universe.

As I said overall good, maybe I should give it another go.

Geekyfanboy

You're not alone there Billybob.. I have grown use to Voyager bashing that I don't even try to defend it anymore. You all have opinions and my opinion is that I loved the series, loved the characters, I've always loved strong woman and Voyager has three of the strongest, Janeway, Be'llana and Seven. I'm not saying it's perfect but neither are TOS, TNG or DS9. Love it or hate it, it's all part of the wonderful world of Star Trek.

billybob476

Oh I agree and I don't intend to bash. I do enjoy Voyager, just not as much as others. I love DS9 and I'm very confident that we can come up with a whole slew of issues with it.

Geekyfanboy

:) I wasn't accusing you of bashing.. I have friend who rip Voyager apart. I love Deep Space Nine as well.. I think the last season was some of the best written Trek ever. I love all Trek.

Ktrek

I like Voyager a lot and just started watching season one again. If I have any complaint at all about the show it would be Janeway. I just don't think she has a strong enough presence for a captain like Picard does. Mulgrew also tries much too hard to be strong and it doesn't come off as natural. Whereas Patrick Stewart really had presence and he could just stand there and say nothing and still look like a captain.

I do want to say that I am in no way against women in strong leading roles at all I just think Mulgrew was not the one for the job. Besides Janeway I really enjoy all the characters, some more than others but I still like the cast overall. There are certainly things many of use would have changed about Voyager if we could but I'm thankful that we got seven seasons of more Trek!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

psikeyhackr

I just ran across something interesting.

A Voyager Route Map

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Voyager

I tried searching to see if this was mentioned before but found this old thread.

From that map you have to wonder why they didn't head for the DS9 wormhole instead of back to Earth.  Am I to serious about Trek for asking that question or is whoever made that map.  LOL

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Feathers

Hmmm isk the Dominion for a shorter run home o the Borg and a longer run...

No contest, they should have headed fo the Gamma quadrant IMHO. Does the map have any form of 'official' standing (i.e. paramount buy-in)?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

celestialteapot

It's nice to read good comments about VOY instead of people ripping it apart :)

When VOY first aired I was about 14/15 and could not stand DS9 and their sitting around on a space station, I wanted starships and exploration. VOY quickly became my favourite and I loved that there was a strong female captain, as much as I loved Rachel Garret in 'Yesterday's Enterprise' it annoyed me that they killed her off in such a non-heroic way just so the lieutenant and Tasha could take the ship back - it sort of felt like someone went "well, we can't have a woman do this, kill her off and make sure the guy takes it back." (I had a huge crush on Rachel Garret... :blush)

Now that I'm older and watching DS9 for the first time on DVD I can see that it's a very strong series, VOY had some amazing episodes and brilliant characters but seems like it got all the rejected DS9 storylines and nobody really caring about it. I think VOY is on the weaker side of Trek but so much better than ENT.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

wraith1701

Quote from: psikeyhackr on September 28, 2008, 01:06:19 PM

A Voyager Route Map

I tried searching to see if this was mentioned before but found this old thread.

From that map you have to wonder why they didn't head for the DS9 wormhole instead of back to Earth.  Am I to serious about Trek for asking that question or is whoever made that map.  LOL

psik

Wow; that map is a really cool find!  You're right; it looks like a much shorter trip to just travel to the Gamma Quadrant and use the wormhole. 
I'm guessing that maybe the crew didn't know the location of the Gamma Quadrant terminus of the wormhole. 

billybob476

Quote from: wraith1701 on September 28, 2008, 04:23:05 PM
Quote from: psikeyhackr on September 28, 2008, 01:06:19 PM

A Voyager Route Map

psik

Wow; that map is a really cool find!  You're right; it looks like a much shorter trip to just travel to the Gamma Quadrant and use the wormhole. 
I'm guessing that maybe the crew didn't know the location of the Gamma Quadrant terminus of the wormhole. 

I'd assume such info would have been in thier database. Especially since they were in the vicinity when they got lost initially.

Meds

Oh i love Voyager, I prefere it to DS9. I didn't like Harry kin nor Nelix but evertone else was just brilliant. Saw the episode with Brad Dourif in the other day, wher Tuvok does the mind meld and the gets all angry, brilliant stuff.

AtlantisAngel

Voyager is immense. Agreed, there are some weak story points throughout the series but it is awesome! There were some brilliantly funny episodes such as 'The Bride of Chaotica' and 'Fair Haven' but I also loved 'Year of Hell' and 'Unimatrix Zero' because they were so gritty.

The Doctor grew on me as the series went on, and I liked how we saw Tom Paris grow into a nice guy from the a$$ hole at the start. But my two favourite characters always were and always will be, Janeway and B'Elana.
Captain Kathryn Janeway: [entering the mess hall] Coffee, black.
Neelix: Uh, sorry, Captain. We lost two more replicators this morning...
Captain Kathryn Janeway: Listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to say this once: Coffee. Black.
Neelix: Yes, ma'am.