• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Do you like Star Trek Remastered?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 12, 2007, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

This seems to happen quiet often in promotional material.  Really, don't the advertisers notice this? :blink

psikeyhackr

I haven't seen an entire remastered episode yet just the comparisons on YouTube.  There are only about 20 original episodes that I am willing to watch.  It doesn't matter that much to me so I would watch a remastered one but I would not watch it because it was remastered.

I am very plot oriented and I know all of the TOS episodes.  The 60's are gone RIP.

I would rather watch B5 reruns.
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

timothypeterson

Art is always a matter of opinion. 

Having said that, I have to remark that I love TOS in both the original format as well as the remastered versions.  The remastered look allows us to see ships that were not shown in the original series, such as the spy ship from Journey To Babel.  It is a nice enhancement, does add to the stories somewhat - but if you love TOS, then you simply do, regardless of dated SFX. 

Looking forward, STNG or other versions  will also become dated in time.  Will that effect the enjoyment we get from watching them?

Tim

"No matter where you go, there you are..."

KingIsaacLinksr

Oh no, not another Tim!! 
heh heh, welcome aboard TimothyPeterson.  The name is Timothy Wetzel or "King" Linksr.  As for Star Trek remastered, I would have to say that I kinda more prefer the restored versions, but Art is indeed a matter of opinion.  You like it or you don't know.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

timothypeterson

Hey Tim Wetzel!  Thanks for the reply.

The restored are certainly exceedingly cool.   Especially if you are a tech geek ( like me ) who loves the ships and technology.  Right now I'm building an AMT 22" Enterprise and have added electronics so it lights up, the running lights blink and the warp drive units spin.  The remasters have given me ideas on subtley adding hull plating to give it that "real" look.  I go to the "TrekCore" site and download the HD pics tovuse them as reference material.  When I'm done I will upload pics to this website.

Have you noticed though that they cut out some of the dialogue to accomodate these additional effects?  It's usually only a snippet here and there, but it is noticable.  Of course they had to take into account formatting it for commercials and such, so that has a defined time limit.  I wonder if the DVD version of the remastered cuts out this dialogue? 

Does anyone know?

Tim
"No matter where you go, there you are..."

Rico

Tim,
The cuts are for time to air the shows in syndication.  Just like was done back in the 70's.  It has nothing to do with the new effects.  Season one out on HD-DVD has no cuts.  Just remastered episodes with the new effects put in.  I enjoy these quite a bit.  Kind of like a fresh coat of paint.  I know the originals so well, it doesn't really bother me to have updated versions.  Especially since I have the originals still on DVD as well.  It's one way to renew some interest in the original series.  And that's a good thing.

davekill

Do I like Star Trek Remastered?
Yes :)

When can we expect the release of TOS Season-2 on HD-DVD or : Blu-ray, HD download or ????

billybob476

Yeah I wonder how this will work now that Paramount has gone BluRay?

Bryancd

We will most likely see them come out in BluRay and maybe iTunes will have them available in HD for rent or purchase.

X

Quote from: billybob476 on February 03, 2008, 06:04:07 AM

When did paramount go BluRay? I haven't seen this or heard anything on it.

Meds

I'm here in England and as far as i know they have not been shown at all, which is a real shame because i've seen the screen shots and some bits on youtube (which obviously don't do it justice). Does anyone know if they will be shown in England, or if they will be shown on any of the sky channels?

Rico

Quote from: Just X on February 03, 2008, 07:54:11 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on February 03, 2008, 06:04:07 AM

When did paramount go BluRay? I haven't seen this or heard anything on it.

Hasn't happened yet.  In fact, they have said the remaining two season of TOS will come out in HD-DVD.  It could show up on Blu-Ray at some point in the future, but that's undetermined at this time.

Blackride

Look at it this way, if you have HD-DVD you will get movies at a discount price soon. Not such a bad deal...
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

jedijeff

Uh oh, looks like Toshiba were doing alot of work with Remastering TOS, hopefully the work will continue, but we might have to wait for the other seasons

http://www.trektoday.com/news/190208_02.shtml

Toshiba will stop promoting its HD-DVD format after losing support to Sony's Blu-ray technology.

As reported at TvshowsonDvd.com, the end of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war will probably mean the cancelation of the second remastered season of the original series.

"An inside source at Technicolor has informed us that a few weeks ago Toshiba cancelled the work they were doing on Star Trek Season 2. Toshiba had been the one paying for the re-mastering/encoding of Star Trek: TOS, which was part of their exclusive deal with Paramount."

Paramount is the only studio that is still uncommitted to Blu-ray. They are expected to react to today's Toshiba announcement soon, according to The Digital Bits.

According to Toshiba's press release, "[we have] undertaken a thorough review of [our] overall strategy for HD DVD and [have] decided [we] will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products."

Ktrek

VERY interesting but CBS has deep pockets so I doubt this will be much of a setback. COME ON TOS REMASTERED ON BLU-RAY!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine