• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Do you like Star Trek Remastered?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 12, 2007, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I know I certainly do Bryan.  I have a LOT of DVD's.  But I am a bit of a collector and pack rat by nature.  However, I do think for people with limited space and or income, digital downloads might be a useful alternative.  Have to see what scenarios the big players come up with.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Rico on June 14, 2007, 11:07:24 AM
I think it's a good possibility that the next TOS DVD release on some HD form will contain both the original versions and the remastered versions.
That would be great.  It would allow people to give away or sell their DVD season sets yet still be able to see the original broadcast episodes.

QuoteI'm actually one of the Trek nuts that bought all of TOS on the 2 episodes per DVD when they first came out.
You're not a Trek nut, you're just a guy with a job.  I was a kid when they came out, so I couldn't afford them. :P

QuoteFrankly, I see a time in the near future where no one will own any type of DVD's.  It will become all video on demand.  Wouldn't it be great to spend a small fee per month to be able to watch anything you want at any time?   Like they are doing with some music services now.
No, it would not be great.  I will not pay for such a service.  I have cable TV, but only because my dad is paying for it.  When I move out on my own, my TV setup will be an LCD TV with a DVD player, and that's it. :P Besides, what if I want to watch a movie on my PC?  What if I want to take a movie to my neighbor's house?  What if I want to lend a movie to my sister who does not have cable service?  There are far too many limitations to video-on-demand.  Now, the service does exist and is used by those who have cable or some kind of TV service.  However, it'll never replace home video.

Quote from: Bryancd on June 14, 2007, 11:14:27 AM
I think people will always want the tangible. I think holding the DVD, with the art cover, with the bonus discs will have a place in the market for a long time.
Agreed.  People like to have DVD's lined up on their shelves just as people like having shelves full of books.  It's easy access.

QuoteI think we will see downloadable vidoe content which can be purchased and stored by the purchaser.  So instaed of DVD's, you have a hard drive of your show or movie that can be viewed on your home TV. Just like AppleTV working with iTunes to download and rent films, you can own them as well.
Fine by me so long as it can be burned to DVD.  I don't want to have a harddrive full of video, because I want to be able to play it on my TV.  In addition to that, what happens if your harddrive dies?  There goes your video library! ::)

Bryancd

Yes, if you own the content, you will be able to transfer it to DVD.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

That's good to know. :biggrin

What about those with dialup? :blink

Bryancd

I didn't even know people were still on dial up.  :blink

I'd say your S.O.L.  :ohwell

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

My mom along with several online friends use dial-up, because they can't afford cable.  One of many reasons why home video will never be phased out. :blink

Fanboy

Yeah, they said the same about color TV.  It will all eventually happen.
"I aim to misbehave."

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

It will be wonderful when everyone can afford cable internet. :biggrin

Ya know, this thread is getting off topic, so I've started a new thread dedicated to the future of home video: click here.

psikeyhackr

Well on the subject of remastered Star Trek I mostly don't care.  There are maybe 20 of the original episodes that I am willing to watch.  I am very plot oriented.  I would rather read a good sci-fi book than watch an old boring Trek episode.  Spock's Brain is the worst.  LOL

If I am in the mood to watch one of the good episodes I am concentrating on the story not the effects.  That is why I liked some Dr.Who's.  It was so cheezy it was hilarious but they occasionally had good stories.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I love Star Trek!  I've Season 3 on DVD with plans to get Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD as soon as I can afford to do so.  I also love all six movies and am looking forward to the upcoming prequel movie. :biggrin

Part of the reason why I do not enjoy Star Trek Remastered is because I'm seeing a lot of the episodes for the first time and love the special effects as they are.  :biggrin They remind me that this is a wacky 1960's production and give me a nice retro feeling.  :biggrin The new effects just leave me with a cold, bland feeling. :blink

psikeyhackr

QuoteThey remind me that this is a wacky 1960's production and give me a nice retro feeling. 

Star Trek wasn't wacky in the 60's.   :old_bash:

Kids just don't understand these things.  :roflmao

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Rico

They did what they could with Trek as far as the look and production style in the 1960's due to the budget and level of technology available.  One of the reasons I think the remastered effects are ok.  Kind of shows you what it might of looked like if they had that type of tech to use for the show back then.

Bryancd

Yeah, maybe us old timers have a different perspective on the original shows and are so familiar with them that to see a different version is amusing and fun. Interesting to hear the comments of someone who never saw the originals until now and is watching the remastered versions. C. Picards reaction, if indicitive of other younger ST fans, makes me realize that remastering these shows was meant for the older audience and not to try and create a new younger audience, or so it might seem.

Trekkygeek

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 12, 2007, 11:44:39 AM
I don't like the idea of altering the TV episodes to make them look uber-kewl for today's young TV audience who turns their nose up at the TV show because of bad special effects.  Does CBS really think that's the only reason young people won't watch the show?
CJLP, In another topic, you stated that you preferred the new Godzilla film to the originals because you just couldn't get along with the old "man in a rubber suit" routine. How does this differ?
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Dan M

This is a screencap of the preview for "The Omega Glory".  I'm sure that error isn't in the episode, but I just don't understand how someone intentionally flops footage.  Having worked for a time in print, I know it's a rule that you never flop people, because people's faces aren't perfectly symmetrical, and then to do it on people in uniforms which are even more obviously asymmetrical is perplexing.