• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Do you like Star Trek Remastered?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 12, 2007, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I've tried to give Star Trek Remastered a shot by watching two or three episodes, but I ultimately didn't like it.  I don't like the idea of altering the TV episodes to make them look uber-kewl for today's young TV audience who turns their nose up at the TV show because of bad special effects.  Does CBS really think that's the only reason young people won't watch the show?  I can think of at least ten reasons why today's young TV audience doesn't like the original Star Trek.  Besides that, there's the issue that the 2000's special effects does not match the 1960's footage.  It looks incredibly forced.  In addition to this, they have this incredibly detailed special effects, yet the ships move like 1960's model miniatures.  This results in cartoonish looking special effects.  Besides the special effects of space ships and planets, they've changed other special effects!  What used to be classic is now generic CGI effects I've seen in dozens of sci-fi movies.  It robs Star Trek of it's classic 1960's magic.

How about you, do you like Star Trek Remastered?  Please, don't just over a gushy yes or a bashing no.  Tell us why you like or dislike the changes.  :biggrin

moyer777

As a long time fan, I LOVE the remastered versions.  It makes them way cool. 

What a great opportunity to make it more like it was intended to look like.  As long as the old versions still exist, I don't see any problem with the enhancements. 

None of the story lines have been changed, and that is what made Star Trek so awesome.

I like the pace of the show better, I'm more into the story because of the exotic locations look alien, and the ship(s) looks so much better!  I would imagine a lot when I was a kid, and now they have made what I imagined come to life.

It's a great show, made even better.

:biggrin

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

This has been discussed here before.  While I like the changes and added effects in general, I'm happy to also still have the originals.  I actually think they blend in rather well.  They tried to not overdue it.  Anytime you change a classic you are going to take some heat.  I've seen the original episodes dozens and dozens of times.  I know the pacing, timing, lighting, effects, etc. by heart.  I can even recite the words from most of them.  So I was expecting to not really like the changes.  But I kind of like it. 

On the issue of getting younger folks to watch I'm not so sure that was a big part of the reason for doing this.  Trek just celebrated it's 40th anniversary.  They are remastering the episodes for future HD release.  So adding some enhanced effects for that was kind of a natural progression.

Again, the original versions are all out on DVD, so if that's your preference you have them.  And if I could only own one set, that's the set I would have.  But it's kind of fun to see the new versions.  One they did an amazing job with was "The Doomsday Machine."  Awesome work on enhancing that one.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Personally, I like the original special effects.  Sure, it doesn't compare to what they were able to do on VOY and ENT, but they are good special effects regardless.  The ship always looked realistic to me, and though the planets were often one color, they were still cool to see.  Watching an episode of Star Trek is a fun trip back to the 1960's. :)

Quote from: Rico on June 12, 2007, 02:15:12 PM
This has been discussed here before.
I wasn't here then. :P

QuoteWhile I like the changes and added effects in general, I'm happy to also still have the originals.  I actually think they blend in rather well.  They tried to not overdue it.  Anytime you change a classic you are going to take some heat.  I've seen the original episodes dozens and dozens of times.  I know the pacing, timing, lighting, effects, etc. by heart.  I can even recite the words from most of them.  So I was expecting to not really like the changes.  But I kind of like it. 
Wow.  Most episodes I've only seen 1-3 times. :o

QuoteOn the issue of getting younger folks to watch I'm not so sure that was a big part of the reason for doing this.
Seems like it...

QuoteTrek just celebrated it's 40th anniversary.  They are remastering the episodes for future HD release.  So adding some enhanced effects for that was kind of a natural progression.
Couldn't they have made some kind of direct-to-video movie or something?  That would have been far more interesting than new special effects for 40-year-old episodes. :-\

QuoteAgain, the original versions are all out on DVD, so if that's your preference you have them.
So long as they continue to be available, I will be happy! :biggrin

QuoteOne they did an amazing job with was "The Doomsday Machine."  Awesome work on enhancing that one.
Great special effects, but when plugged into the episode, it doesn't work at all.  You might as well take VOY special effects and plug them into the episode. :blink

jedijeff

I like what they have done as well with the remastered epsiodes. Like Rick said, the enhancements have made things look more like they were intended. Episodes like the Doomsday Machine had me appreciating it on a higher level then I did before, and I got a better idea of what the enterprise was faced with. Even if they did not update the special effects, just the quality of the epsiodes look so much better to me.

I agree with Rico, that when classics are updated, there are going to be people who dont like it. I know for myself, when they release these on HD, I will pick them up. I have both Version of the Original Trilogy for Star Wars, and I thought it was cool they released the Originals on DVD last year, I still find that I prefer to watch the special editions. I suspect that in the future, I will feel likewise about Original series for Star Trek, and opt for the remasterd versions for viewing.

I think with more people buying Home Theaters and HD televisions, they are going to want to watch shows with better production qualities. I think it is a good move by Paramount/CBS to keep up with the technology, as people will be able to enjoy Star Trek without feeling like they are limited due to the age of the series.

Ktrek

When watching the DVDs of TOS I can see why they would want to enhance the special effects because every effect shot, especially ship shots, are very grainy compared to the live action shots. Now if this is so apparent on DVD how much more would it be so on HD. I have not seen enough of the episodes to say I prefer one over the other but the remastered versions do look better on my HDTV and that is without an HD signal. So, I'm all for it based on that. Comparative screenshots can also be seen at http://trekmovie.com/.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The DVD's look fine on my 17" LCD screen. :confused

Ktrek

Well, all I can say is that compared to the live action scenes the sfx shots are quite grainy. I don't see how you cannot see it even on a 17 inch screen because I have noticed it for years. Even on the VHS tapes prior to DVDs. I mean they are watchable but the ship scenes look faded and grainy to my eyes.

Kevin

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dan M

I love the magic marker outline on the Enterprise as it orbits planets.

I see some grain on the Enterprise.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Ktrek on June 12, 2007, 08:41:01 PM
Well, all I can say is that compared to the live action scenes the sfx shots are quite grainy. I don't see how you cannot see it even on a 17 inch screen because I have noticed it for years.
I see it, I'm just not bothered by it. :biggrin

QuoteI mean they are watchable but the ship scenes look faded and grainy to my eyes.
Agreed, but that's the 1960's for you. :blink I'd rather preserve the show's history than replace it with plastic-looking effects. :taz

Dan M

The current effects are not plastic-looking.  The first incarnation of the Enterprise digital model did appear that way, to some eyes, however even the harshest critics have admitted that the updated model being used in the recent episodes is a giant leap forward.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: pickard on June 12, 2007, 09:43:04 PM
The current effects are not plastic-looking.
That would be a matter of opinion. :)

QuoteThe first incarnation of the Enterprise digital model did appear that way, to some eyes, however even the harshest critics have admitted that the updated model being used in the recent episodes is a giant leap forward.
The CG model looks fantastic, but when it's moving as slow as it does, it looks incredibly fake.  Naturally, a starship would be quick and agile since there's no gravity nor atmosphere in space.  In the 1960's, they had filmed models, so it makes sense for the ships to move slowly as that's the best they could do.  Given today's special effects technology, we can now portray starships as we'd expect them to move.  Having a CG space ship move like a 1960's motion control model just... doesn't... work...  It looks incredibly fake. :blink

Ktrek

CJLP, I think you're being overly critical. I have seen several of the episodes and I think they have done a fair job in trying to keep the look and feel of the 1960s show. Can you tell it's CGI? Yea I suppose you can but I could say the same thing about Stargate, Battlestar Galactica or many other modern shows. I really don't think that there is any harm in updating the episodes for HD viewing. For now TOS has been released twice on DVD and so there are plenty of copies available for the purists to buy if they want. I'll ptobably wind up buying a set of the remastered series when it's released and still hold on to my original DVDs.

Kevin

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Ktrek on June 13, 2007, 05:30:19 AM
CJLP, I think you're being overly critical.
I don't think so... I'm generally not too critical of TV shows.  I just don't like the concept of taking an old movie or TV episode and replacing original special effects with modern special effects.  It does not match the footage of the era, that's why I think it looks incredibly fake. :blink

QuoteI have seen several of the episodes and I think they have done a fair job in trying to keep the look and feel of the 1960s show.
I agree, but that is exactly what makes the effects look fake.  Star Trek is quite dated, so when you stick in special effects from today, they stick out horribly.  Instead of looking cool, it just looks laughably lame.

QuoteCan you tell it's CGI?
Yes, it's extremely obvious.

QuoteI could say the same thing about Stargate.
Indeed you could.  However, Stargate is a production of the 1990's and 2000's.  The CG effects match the practical effects, so I generally don't notice.  However, I could tell them apart if I looked for it.

QuoteI really don't think that there is any harm in updating the episodes for HD viewing.
There isn't so long as the original unaltered episodes remain available to the public.

QuoteFor now TOS has been released twice on DVD and so there are plenty of copies available for the purists to buy if they want.
Star Trek: The Motion Picture only has the Director's Edition available on DVD, you cannot buy the Theatrical Edition on DVD.  I fear the same may eventually happen to the TV show. ::)

Locutus

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 13, 2007, 11:25:46 AM
Star Trek: The Motion Picture only has the Director's Edition available on DVD, you cannot buy the Theatrical Edition on DVD.  I fear the same may eventually happen to the TV show. ::)

But why would anyone want the Theatrical version, when the Director's version IS what was intended to be on screen in the first place? While I agree that, generally speaking, I prefer the original versions, sometimes the redone one is much better, or at least equivalent to the original - i.e. both versions of Blade Runner.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.