• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtlesrock

been awfully frustrated lately, as when i try to download F2P all i get is a text file, then i try to update everything and i get more text files. is there any in-browser option? one that doesn't just create more and more text files?

forgive me, i have no computer knowledge what-so-ever, and i really don't know what to do.

billybob476

If you go here: http://startrekonline.com/download

It doesn't start the download of an exe file?

turtlesrock

"this program cannot be run in DOS mode" and a whole bunch of other characters.

billybob476

Which version of windows are you running? XP? Are you just double clicking the downloaded file?

turtlesrock

i'm on a mac, version 10.5.8. yep, i'm clicking on the file.

billybob476

Quote from: turtlesrock on January 18, 2012, 08:42:02 AM

Oh the game doesn't officially run on macs. PC only (aside from a thrid party wrapper that I haven't tried yet, but the setup is a bit convoluted)

Rico

Or you could run it under boot camp on a Mac.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on January 18, 2012, 08:46:11 AM
Or you could run it under boot camp on a Mac.

If its in Intel Mac.

Jobydrone

Bah my laptop will not run this game.  I do not meet the minimum system requirements.  It's been so long since I updated this computer I have over 29 critical updates and my browser is so slow it barely is running the site I go to to download the game.  I'm going to try anyway just to see what happens, but it's not looking good. 

Anyone have a Windows Install disc they can lend me so I can run bootcamp on my Mac. ;)  I have a registration code from work.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Yeah so it didn't work on my laptop.  The first level on the ship seemed choppy but playable, but once I beamed down to the planet it was totally unplayable.  Too bad, it seems really fun.  Well, maybe if I can get my hands on one of those windows discs and find my Snow Leopard disc I'll get this going one day.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Rico

Oh, you can also play the game for free via Steam if you want too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/

Feathers

Have I said that I'd love to play this but dare not?

The time it would take would be too much. I'd never be able to put it down.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Data

Quote from: turtlesrock on January 18, 2012, 08:42:02 AM

I got STO running yesterday using this method on my Mac and its very straight forward if you need any help give me a shout.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=76799

The game runs very well as long as its set up right.

:)
"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

Jobydrone

I would VERY much like to talk to you about this.  Did it work 100%, I see some people are having bugs or issues with sound not working and other things.