• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

I've played this game for a little while now and I'm having a real hard time figuring out what the appeal is supposed to be.  Granted I'm still only level 8 and in my original ship, but so far I've really not enjoyed my time in the Federation very much.

My biggest problem is with the space combat.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?  It has to get better as you upgrade your ships, but if it doesn't get about 500% better I don't think I'll ever enjoy the space combat.  Every space battle, at least playing solo, takes FOREVER.  My ship turns like a giant rock floating in space, and by the time my weapons are charged up to fire the enemy ships have flown circles around me and are out of the fire radius of my most powerful weapons.  Even using the special abilities of my bridge crew to power up the ships abilities doesn't appreciably help at all.  And it seems there's never even a possibility of experiencing a diplomatic resolution that can avoid combat.  Every mission has been rinse, repeat:  figure out which section of space you need to be in, float around like a turtle until you can warp where you need to be, spend 30 minutes in space combat, beam down to the ground mission, phaser kill everyone in sight, beam out, 30 more minutes of space battle, hail starfleet and start all over again with the next mission.

Some of the stories in the missions have been interesting and I really want this to get better so I can see more of the lore.  Has anyone that has progressed futher than me give me a good reason to continue?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

Once you get out of your starter ship, things get better. Also, when in combat you shouldn't run at full impulse, it really increases your turning radius. I usually slowed down to 1/2 impulse which tightens up your turns.

I guess this is the problem I ran into with STO, after awhile it just wasn't all that much fun.

Jobydrone

Thanks Joe, I get a new ship at lvl 10 I think, so I will tough it out I guess.  I have a really hard time finding time to play this because it takes so long to accomplish anything and I have so many more games that are just basically way more fun to play than this.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Too much space combat turned me off the game too.  That for me isn't what "Star Trek" is really all about.  But I do want to find some time to still play a bit more.  But three MMO's is a bit much (counting WOW and TOR). 

Jobydrone

Maybe we could make some time to do some of these quests together?  I imagine with more than one ship the space combat would go a heck of a lot faster.  What level are you Rico?

WillEagle

I know I'm late to the party on this but I did start playing last weekend and have been neglecting my treksinscifi forum time. I have for the most part been enjoying the game except for one mission I did was boring. The ones I did yesterday were pretty fun. I could use a manual though.
Are any of you still playing this? I am on the perfect world server. I also want to say I dont play alot of different games so I have nothing to compare this too. I have still been playing Star Wars: Empire at War and Age of Empires III.
Well anyway if you are on the game still let me know.

WillEagle

I'm really enjoying this so far. And I have fought the urge to buy anything. Just got me a new ship yesterday! I have been to DS9, which was awesome, and Deep Space Station K7.

WillEagle

Are any of you guys still playing this? I'm on the perfect world server. I am still liking this game. I will also say that I haven't played any online games except for a short trial of Star Wars galaxies so I don't have other games to compare this to. I did run into a problem with filling a bridge station even though it's wide open to be filled. So that has me a little stumped on trying to fill that spot. And yes I have gotten bridge officers but they wont let me place them.

WillEagle

Hey, Rico are you on the Perfect World server? I thought I saw you there one time but when I caught up with the ship it wasn't you.
I also unlocked a part of the game that says I can replicate an emergency hologram. I can't find anywhere to do that! And I really want to do it. Any ideas?
Unlocked a Klingon character at level 24 and I don't like it as much.

Rico

I'm just trying to get back into the game a little right now.  I login via my Cryptic account.  Character is named Rico.

Jobydrone

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=900311

After so very long Cryptic is releasing a Mac client for this on November 12. Interesting timing considering the new console launches and all the holiday games coming out around now, but I will download and give it a run to see if it works appreciably better than the Wineskin port I used to play this a while ago.