Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I've been meaning to give this a go, I may try it this weekend as well.

Data

Quote from: Jobydrone on February 08, 2012, 07:05:01 AM
I would VERY much like to talk to you about this.  Did it work 100%, I see some people are having bugs or issues with sound not working and other things. 

I had some trouble to start off with the graphics but now that that is all working it runs just fine

make sure you are patient to start out with the patching of this game took me 4 hours

follow the instruuctions to the letter and you can't go wrong

from the videos I've seen  I'm not missing much from a sound or graphics point of view

I'm very new to mmorpg games but I'm really getting into it
"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

Jobydrone

Downloading the main client now to my Mac, three minutes to go.  Read the instructions for the wrapper and it seems too good to be true.  Getting excited!

Edit 1:  Logged into my existing Cryptic account, and patching now...looks good so far!

Edit 2:  Argh, 4.5 GB patch download is hanging at 84% please start...please start...please start

Edit 3:  Whew, the power of positive thinking!  It's going again...almost there...

Edit 4:  Woo hoo, seems to be working.  After about an hour tweaking settings, my Andorian named Zabadoo is deep into the tutorial and after fragging a few Borg, I'm going to see about reading up on the game a bit.  I have absolutely no idea any of the mechanics of the game, but I am enjoying finally being able to try it out.  Oh my, might be playing hooky tomorrow...Thanks "Data" for the tip.  I knew about that wrapper but never got around to trying it until your post inspired me.  Looking forward to playing and hoping to join up with you all soon!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Data

Great mate i had to run that huge patch twice!!!!! I hit about the same mark you did and it stopped i ended up leaving it overnight and got to have a play of it just before work the next day.

Can we all leave our STO info NAME and SHIP NAME if we see eachother in the game i guess that would be cool

My name is TU'BOK (VULCAN) i command the USS PATHFINDER
"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

Jobydrone

Currently my name is Zabadoo on the USS Excruciating but I do not believe this is going to be my permament character, since I can only have one with free to play.  I will definitely keep posting here with my information as I plan to play through this game, I've been waiting so long to play it!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Data

likewise mate

I'm sure I have alot to learn about mmorpg gaming but I plan to stick at it

Jobydrone

I've deleted my Andorian and started over with a Vulcan female, Lieutenant T'Lanna, currently level 4 tactical officer in command of the starship Jerry Garcia.  I ran into a strange bug where I didn't complete every objective in the tutorial mission but still completed it, so it got stuck in my quest log and could never be cleared because you can't ever go back to the instance where the first quest is.  It bugged the heck out of me to have that quest there so I just started over.  T'lanna is a tactical officer so I've focused on distributing my skill points into ships weapons and ground phasers.  So far I've found myself easily mowing through everything on Normal difficulty.  I'm guessing I have to bump it up to Hard level to make the game a bit more worthwhile.  I need to figure out if it is worth it to spread my skills out over the engineering and science stations, or if I risk spreading myself too thin if I do that.

I am starting to get a feel for how the game works.  It rewards levelling in an interesting way, every reward up to lvl 50 seems to be clearly spelled out in the interface.  They put the carrot out there, like my next crew member, or level ten getting a better ship, more abilities etc, so it makes you want to continue playing.  The game is very similar to WoW with a Star Trek skin, at least in the way you gain skills, and level up abilities. You have weapon slots, one armor slot, shields, consumables, various ship upgrades, and then upgrades for your bridge crew.  Missions are actually quite long, so you have to dedicate quite alot of time to completing just one mission.  I havent figured out how to actually meet people or the need to get in groups, although it appears that I have my first available mission where the Admiral is recommending I bring some friends (defending an area of space from a Klingon armada.)  I have no friends so I guess I am either skipping that mission, waiting to outlevel the mission and blow through it, or perhaps enticing one of you all to come with me.  Anyone interested?

billybob476

If you open a ticket with support via the help section in game they should be able to remove that quest from your log.

Jobydrone

Well it's gone now since I didn't do the tutorial with my new character, but thanks for the tip.

One of the features that looks really interesting is the Foundry, which allows you to create your own maps, missions, and space battles that anyone can play.  Has anyone tried this or created any content?  Seems like it could be some very creative fun. 

Feathers

A little off topic but I'm getting really tempted by this now. I've been playing Star Trek: Legacy on the Xbox and whe it's fairly limited, I'm still having a blast flying about in the NX-01 and phasering Romulans. The idea of doing that in an online world is sooooo attractive.

(BTW the iPhone dictionary automatically capitalised Romulans for me. Someone at Apple like Trek.)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Jobydrone

I say give it a try.  There's a TON of space combat in STO and while it takes a little getting used to, it is pretty fun and I imagine get even more so as you level up and get more powerful ships.

JT

Just dowmload and im looking for some basic tips on what type of character to be.   I know that is a big question but just remember i just want to have fun in the trek universe.  Im not new to gaming but havent done the whole mmo thing yet. Thanks for any help. 

Data

I'll Pop a link down for you to read its been my source of info for the game. Reading some of the posts on the official forum can get a bit much and give you lots of info you don't need.

They say basics but some of these things you will not really need to know if you just want to get in and have fun.

http://www.stowiki.org/Guide:_Basics - this has a great overview of the strengths of each class. the whole set of guides on this site are a great place to start but my advice is just get in and have a go that's the best way to learn.

Have fun.

billybob476

In my experience, Tactical officer is probably the easiest class to play as you only have one job: blow things up :)

JT

thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.  Oh one more thing I love to blow things up so I mite go that way.