• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Falling Skies

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 28, 2010, 10:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarks Ally

I like the fact that it's not all brainless action.  That they are taking time to do actual dialog and character development.  But in an MTV, Transformers world, some people just want all action.  I think the show is very well done.  As for not being original, what is?  Almost all the different movies and TV shows this show is being compared to (Independence Day)  weren't exactly towers of originality either.  Very little in today's story telling is.  Even Terminator was partly inspired by a couple Twilight Zone episodes.  (Both written by a Star Trek writer who sued and won in court) if I remember the story correctly.  Isn't there some old saying about there's only a handful of original ideas.  I don't remember how that goes. 
A fruitful journey to the Divine Treasury.

QuadShot

Quark, I totally agree with you. I for one really like this show. In fact, last nights episode was kind of interesting in that...
[spoiler]they are taking the skitters on an interesting path. Did anyone pick up on the way the skidder treated the harnessed kids? Almost motherly like. When Hal went in their, and all the kids laid down in a circle, the skidder came over to them and caressed their heads! And kind of looked lovingly (if that's possible) at them. Wow. I hope they expand on THAT. Then, when Hal killed the skidder, the kids all went over to it and kind of touched it like they were sad. Something much more than just an alien attack shoot em up show to be sure. I really enjoy this, the only thing that I don't like is...waiting for the next week! [/spoiler]  Great news though: Falling Skies was picked up for another season. Yeah!  :cheers

Rico

Al - look a few posts up where I posted about the pickup for a second season.

spaltor

Not saying I hate it - I'm continuing to watch, I'm just not being grabbed by it.  I'm definitely not looking for all action - some of my favorite SG1 episodes were the political ones - but nothing ever seems to really move along.  The characters have small conflicts, but they all pass.  It's like they keep teasing that something big is going to happen, and it just never does.  Even when there is action (such as in last night's episode), it's as if they just say, "Okay, that's done."  Maybe it's because I'm currently watching "Lost" for the first time, but it just seems to me that something is lacking in "Falling Skies."

Rico

Uh, how many episodes have we had so far?  Four??  How much should happen in such a small group of episodes?  I like the pace so far.

QuadShot

Quote from: spaltor on July 11, 2011, 08:32:38 AM
Not saying I hate it - I'm continuing to watch, I'm just not being grabbed by it.  I'm definitely not looking for all action - some of my favorite SG1 episodes were the political ones - but nothing ever seems to really move along.  The characters have small conflicts, but they all pass.  It's like they keep teasing that something big is going to happen, and it just never does.  Even when there is action (such as in last night's episode), it's as if they just say, "Okay, that's done."  Maybe it's because I'm currently watching "Lost" for the first time, but it just seems to me that something is lacking in "Falling Skies."

WAIT a minute...You're just NOW watching LOST? For the first time?! :) How you liking that one so far?
I look at Falling Skies like a drama of sorts, with a Sci-Fi twist. It's more of a study on how humans would react to this sort of situation. You could actually take this scenario and put it in any type of conflict: human war, alien war, famine, natural disaster...I like seeing the post-apocalytic type scenario played out and how humans deal with it.

QuadShot

Rico, I was referring to your former post! :)

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on July 11, 2011, 08:54:36 AM
Rico, I was referring to your former post! :)

Ahh, I wasn't sure.  Hard to tell from the way you wrote it.  I'm glad it will be back too!

QuadShot

Rico,
Yeah, sorry about that. I was too excited to think my post through :) Well, Falling Skies return AND...Eureka AND Warehouse 13 returning TONIGHT! HOLY COW!!! I'm in GEEK HEAVEN!

Quarks Ally

@ QuadShot & Falling Skies Fans [spoiler] I can't help but wonder if the harness's are somehow the skitters way of reproducing.  IE... their young in someway.   OR  If it was supposed to represent the fact that despite the circumstances, it(She?) had compassion or sympathy for the children.  But I still think the harness are somehow their way of reproducing, in some fashion or form. 
It does bring up a question.  How do you tell a female skitter from a male skitter?  I don't know, but I don't think I want to get close enough to find out! ;D
[/spoiler]
A fruitful journey to the Divine Treasury.

Bryancd

Had a chance to watch the most recent episode last night and thought it was pretty good. I was not responding well to the Margaret character but warmed up a bit to her when they fleshed out her story more toowards the end. She doesn't do bad ass chick very well, IMO. I still get a bit hung up on when they seem to try and remind us these are regular folks at the same time they all seem to be ex-paramilitary. Who knew a school teacher in just a few months becomes a tactical genius..along with his 18 year old son!

X

Quote from: Bryancd on July 12, 2011, 05:12:04 AM
Had a chance to watch the most recent episode last night and thought it was pretty good. I was not responding well to the Margaret character but warmed up a bit to her when they fleshed out her story more toowards the end. She doesn't do bad ass chick very well, IMO. I still get a bit hung up on when they seem to try and remind us these are regular folks at the same time they all seem to be ex-paramilitary. Who knew a school teacher in just a few months becomes a tactical genius..along with his 18 year old son!
Bryan, I'm sure that if push came to shove, you'd be able to use your own skills to become a capable fighter if the world ended tomorrow. I know that I was raised to live off the land if necessary and it would look like something strange if I just acclimated to the backwoods in a few days, but I think that when the chips are down, your instincts kick in.

That being said. I'm watching the show, but still not 100% into it. Some have said that it's slow. I think that dull in places is probably the best way to describe it. I find myself wanting to jump ahead in a few too many scenes.

Bryancd

You kidding?! My skinny butt would be dead within a week...unless the aliens challenged us to a race, then I would rule! :)

QuadShot

Bryan,
Remember, the main character IS a teacher (professor really), but also remember WHAT he taught: History. He seemed to have a specialty in ancient history and is always reciting military tactical history, like from the Greeks.

And I think you'd do very well in the same scenario. And yeah, foot race you got it. Remember, you don't have to be faster than the aliens...just faster than the other humans! :)

spaltor

Quote from: QuadShot on July 11, 2011, 08:52:44 AM
WAIT a minute...You're just NOW watching LOST? For the first time?! :) How you liking that one so far?

I am.  I experienced my first "flash-forward" last night.  Trying to find my footing.  I'll go back and find the appropriate thread so not to clutter up this one with OT stuff...  ;)