• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"Update" your first post

Started by billybob476, October 14, 2011, 05:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Thought this would be interesting...I went into my profile and found my intro post from waaay back in '07 (August 14, 2007, 08:09:54 AM to be exact).

QuoteHi all, billybob476 here.

I'm 26, newly married, living in Ottawa, Ontario. I've always loved sci fi (Star Trek and Star Wars particularly, but am interested in everything). I got into the podcast through Rico's segments on ExtraLife Radio. It took me a month or two but I've listened to all the back episodes from the beta podcast up to the latest episode.

I'm not much of a collector, but I do have almost 100 Star Wars books (most of the EU novels since Heir to the Empire, sourcebooks, etc) and a good collection of other sci fi novels...maybe I'm more of a collector then I think.

While I've always loved Star Trek, catching up on all the podcasts has really gotten me back into it. My wife and I are re-watching Enterprise and I think after we're done we're going to re-watch all of DS9. I really can't understand why people consider Enterprise to be a bad show, we watched four episodes in a row last night (up to the second to last season 2 episode). I wanted to keep going but she made us go to bed!

Anyways I won't ramble on more. Thank you for inviting me in, this seems like a great community and I think I'll enjoy being a contributing member.

Well today I am 30, not so newly married (though I guess that's subjective), have since moved to Toronto and I have listened to all the podcasts from the beta to the latest ep (though that was less of a challenge once I got caught up four years ago). If anything I am a much bigger Trek fan then ever (most liekly thanks to this community).

I have quite a few more Star Wars books, though I've started getting the Fate of the Jedi series on Kindle since I'm running out of shelf space! Fran and I are currently re-watching TNG which is the only series we haven't done a complete run-through from start to finish together.

Anyways I won't ramble on more. Thanks for keeping me around, this is without a doubt a great community and it makes my day every day to contribute in some small way.

Bryancd

Mine was in Roll Call:

6032Roll Call / Hi, my name is Bryan, and I'm addicted..
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:40:23 AM »
..to Trek   I know Rico from over at the RPF and just started listening to his awesome podcast. Love the site and look forward to participating in this community. 

Jobydrone

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on August 05, 2006, 11:14:10 PM
My name is Joby and I'm just stopping by to introduce myself.  I've been listening to the podcast now for four or five months, and I am a big fan.  I've really enjoyed the last couple full episode commentaries, and I'm looking forward to more as Rico becomes more comfortable and more adept at them.  Commentaries are the features that were sorely missed, at least by me, on the TOS and TNG DVD sets, so Rico's will be filling a real need on some of these classic episodes.

I'd like to suggest for something new to the podcast: a regular, short segment on Star Trek book reviews.  I know Rico has said that he doesn't often have time to read the ST novels, but I wouldn't be surprised if some forum member wouldn't be willing to record short, maybe three to five minute segments every couple weeks or so reviewing recent or even classic Star Trek novels.  I know it's something at least I would enjoy listening to.
Here's my first post...just gushing about the podcast basically.  Since 2006 I've seen the birth of two sons, now ages 4 and 2, a new job with the city of Philadelphia, I bought a house...and listened to about 300 awesome Star Trek podcasts!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

Oh yeah forgot that stuff too...in addition to moving I've bought a house, learned to ski and run a half marathon! No kids yet!

Bromptonboy

Found mine - I had listened since 2007 but didn't join the forum for some time:

April 11, 2008, 13:56:30 »
Hello all, long-time first-time (long time listener, first time poster).  Great podcast Rico!  I have a very long commute a few days a week from my home in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia to my office in Newark, USA (NJ!).
I am old enough to remember season 3 of ST:TOS as it first ran - although I was a little tot of 6 watching on a black and white Zenith.
I am an avid sci-fi fan, more into the hard sci-fi end of the spectrum - Alaister Reynolds, Vernor Vinge, etc.  Still grieving for Sir Arthur, and for Jack Williamson, but consoling myself in Iain M. Banks.
Pete

Rico

Cool idea.  I'm guessing since you guys listen to the podcast each week you know everything there is to know about the life of Rico.  Or at least the things that can be said on a public podcast.  ;)

ElfManDan

Wow, that takes me back to remembering how boring a kid I used to be. I tried to keep it in sync, but I do get side tracked a little in my rewrite. There really is so much more I would say if I joined now. I was so reserved and shy back then. It's amazing how much I've opened up and grown since then. Anyhow...

QuoteMy name is Sheppard, I am a long time listener of Treks in Scifi Podcast. I am a fan of almost all Scifi. I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Heroes, Doctor Who, Farscape, if it's scifi I probably love it or would love it. If your intrested my favorite show is Firefly. This all may seem normal among the people of the scifi realm, but in my small town, in my small High School I really am a bit of an outcast. I know there are others in my school who like scifi, but none of them are as open about it as me. I have stated that I think I was born in the wrong generation really. I suppose here on the forums that is, things will be a bit different.
Well, that's a little you know about me.

My name is Daniel (I'm not afraid to tell you my real name. I'm not really a private terrified person anymore). I've been listening to and been a part of the Treksf forums for a long time it seems like to me. I'm a fan of "most" Scifi. I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, (Heroes sucked after season 1), Doctor Who, Farscape. So if it's scifi I "may" love it, or I may just hate it for some not specific reason (cough *Terra Nova* cough). My favorite show is still Firefly. (And I've learned how to spell "interested" correctly.) I don't think I'm very normal anymore to people... any sort of people. In this city I'm like a fitness rockstar, and I can talk as geeky as I want and most of my friends know what I'm talking about cause they are older than me and know about all this stuff. Which is consistent with the I was probably born in the wrong generation, but I love my generation anyway.
And that's just a little bit of me, amazing to think how much I've grown since I first joined here.

Bryancd

It's so funny, I joined only 3 days before Joby. :)

spaltor

Ooo, fun.  Here's me from April 2009:
QuoteHi everyone!  I've been listening to the TSF podcast for a few months now - it took that long to catch up! - and found Anomaly and Take Him With You along the way.  After prodding from Rick and Jen, I've finally come to the TSF forum.  And thanks, Rico, for all your work on these websites and the podcast.

I guess I should make a true introduction...  My Trek of choice would have to be TNG, and I am and unashamed fan of the Picard/Crusher relationship.  That's right, I'm a shipper.  I'm also a BonCer, if anyone here if familiar with that group.  I've recently rewatched all of the Star Trek series, in the past few years, as well as Buffy and Farscape (for the first time!).  I'm currently making my way through SG1 (season 5 at the moment).  I'm also an equal opportunity nerd, so I don't limit myself to scifi.

I guess that sums it up for a simple intro.  Where to next?

~s

Let's see - after prodding from Rick and Jen (some things don't change), I'm not podcasting on the Anomaly feed.  And getting press passes to cons and tracking people down for interviews... it's crazy.  :)

I did watch all of SG1, then Atlantis, then Universe.  I actually caught up on ALL available Stargate (at the time) in 10 months. I continue to rewatch and watch things I missed, relatively quickly -  For example, I watched the last 4 seasons of Lost in 30 days.  Now, I'm starting Doctor Who.  Actually, I've been meaning to since August, but I haven't had much extra time.  But it's next on the list.  And yes, there's an actual, physical list.

moyer777

Quoteon: December 28, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »

Hi Everyone!

My name is Rick Moyer.  I am a long time sci fi fan.  I used to watch the old series back when I was a kid, and haven't stopped since.  My favorite of the Trek series is TNG.  I have been married to my wife Amy for 20 years now and have three kids. Check out our family Christmas card on the web.  http://www.christrocks.com/merrychristmas I am a pastor here at a local church of about 500 people.  I write music, dramas, musicals and do graphic arts on the side for a local Internet company.  I am looking forward to talking about different episodes.  I just love the Podcast, very cool Rico!    ReplyQuoteNotify

Well let's see.  I still think TNG is the best.  I've been married to Amy for 25 1/2 years now, and my kids are all growing up way too fast.  My oldest, Nathan graduated with his masters in film and cinematography, he is married and working full time at a bank in the IT department.  My middle son, Andrew,  graduated carpentry college and is now working full time at a construction site building the floating bridge.  My youngest, Catherine, is turning 16 in Janurary and can't wait to get her license.  I'm no longer a pastor in a church, I resigned and started a Spiritual but not religious podcast with my wife Amy (takehimwithyou)  I started my own multi media business and now do voiceovers, back ground music, write songs, take photographs and create artwork.  (moyermultimedia.com)  I still write songs, but now on my Ipad.  I still work for the local Internet company but now I make block adds for a place called Thurstontalk.com.  I started making parody songs with my son Nathan many years ago to play on Treks in Sci fi and have since done over 80 of them all free at startrekparodies.com I have come to find the best friends of my life on this forum.  I have met some of you in person, and others I can't wait to meet.  You have encouaraged me, challenged me and made me a better person as a result  I can't imagine life without this community now.  We come from such diverse backgrounds yet have so much in common.  God bless Treks In Sci Fi!  What a podcast and community!  FANTASTIC!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Feathers

My second post...

Quoteon: 09 June 2008, 12:42:41

Probably time for an intro since I seem to have started posting, despite my best intentions.

I picked up this podcast recently and have set myself the rather daunting challenge of listening to the lot - currently into March 2006 I think. This is for 2 reasons:

1. I want to hear the episode comments I've missed before I start 'demanding'  to hear new features covering stuff that's already been done(!)
2. it's just plain interesting.

I'm in the UK and 'pushing 40' so grew up with TOS reruns as well as a number of other bits and pieces imported from the States. I've also watched all the 'new' Trek series through from start to finish and am currently working through the reruns they're running daily on Virgin1 since the channel was introduced.

These days, I'm also catching up on a lot of the more recent SG-1 and Atlantis (that are only available on satellite over here) rather than watching anything else, but I am finding time for a bit of PodListening too...obviously.

Forgive me if I start dredging up the earlier show threads and posting. I've resisted so far but willpower just collapsed this morning and I posted on #35.

Sorry if I hit the download bandwidth too hard, too!

OK, where to start...

I have now achieved my stated aim of listening to all the podcasts, I've even hosted a couple which I'd never have dreamed of at the time the original was written. (As suggested, I think I tried to 'make demands' for things that hadn't been covered and ended up hosting them myself. Clever, Rico, clever...)

I'm no longer 'pushing 40', I'm well over that hill and starting down the slippery slope on the other side (although my retirement age is sliding faster than I am, I think, which is not a good thing).

I've still seen all of Trek and everything else I claimed to have been watching. I've probably now forgotten a lot of it too...  Terra Nova is my only recent addition, running on Mondays, (although Alphas apparently starts here tonight so I may have to look at that too).

My podcast listening is really way too much for the time I have available but, somehow, I seem to manage it. I'm not going to run through the current list but if you guys would all stop inventing new shows, I'd appreciate it!

If I hit the download bandwidth too hard... tough luck :)

(And I'm now one of the top ten posters on the boards. How did that happen???)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

turtlesrock

my second post:
hi! i'm turtlesrock. my favorite movie was movie 4, but the computer graphics in movie 11 were OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!

well, i still think movie 4 is the best, but since then i've grown an inch and a half taller and won the school geography bee (whoo hoo!)
my most recent addiction is warehouse 13, but TNG is still my #1. i have started watching voyager and DS9 as well, and they seem to be pretty good too.
i've only heard a handful of podcasts; someday i'll catch up.

Geekyfanboy

Great idea.. Wow.. I was the 7th person to join and only person still posting after all these years. I joined the forums 2 days after Rico started them.  Just realized it's almost my 6th year anniversary on these forums.

QuoteNovember 14, 2005, 10:19:16 AM

Hey Everyone my name is Kenny, I live in Sherman Oaks California and I'm a big GEEK.  I have no problem calling myself that because it is true. I love all things Sci Fi and Fantasy. I have been listening to Treks in Sci Fi since the Beta Podcast and have enjoyed it very much. I'm a huge Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly/Serenity and Lord of the Ring Fan. I love the classic TV like V, Angel, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Flash, Lois and Clark and Buck Rogers. As well as the new stuff, Invasion, Surface, Thershold and Supernatural. I collect anything and all things related to scifi and fantasy movies/tv. Like action figures, comic books, paperback books, cards, props, magazines and so much more.

As for my update.. other then being six years older and moving to Agua Dulce...the only other thing that has changed is my collecting. I have taken a step back from collecting tons of stuff. I still buy stuff from time to time but nothing like I did back then.

ori-STUDFARM

My first post was-
Quote28-08-2009, 19:19:47 »
Hello there. Antony here from Nottingham in the UK. I am an avid podcast listener who gets through about 60 hours worth a week whilst driving my "front end loader" at work.
I'm a general sci-fi nut and discovered this podcast only recently. To be honest, I had avoided subscrbing as I already subscribe to a few podcasts that are Star Trek heavy. I listened on the recommendation of a friend, Tim aka trekkygeek and was surprised to actually hear his voice on the old Skype in the latest episode.
My main "geeky" obsession is with Red Dwarf. I used to watch TOS as a child but managed to not get into TNG. Even now, I find TNG episodes either hit or miss with me. I did however get into and love all of DS9. I also really enjoyed Enterprise and Voyager. Bit weird, but, go figure?!!
I am a host on a Red Dwarf podcast that started earlier this year and we are abouts to launch a non-specific, general talk about anything podcast soon. I won't go into details. I've not signed up to plug shamelessly...
My real name is Antony and I can be found on a few forums and on twitter. Always under the name ori-STUDFARM.
Anyway, I think thats enough for an intro. Hope we can have good times together on this forum!

I no longer work the 60 hours, but still manage to get nearly as many podcasts in by changing the files to "audiobook" and playing the audiobook files on the "faster" setting on my old iPod Classic.

The Red Dwarf podcast has been on hiatus for most of this year, but thats because we have covered all the episodes. The other hosts are keen gamers and wanted some time off to play and the new Series doesn't air until Autumn 2012. We have got a couple more to do before then covering the USA pilot episodes and the novels. But there's no rush.

The non-specific general talk podcast never took off, but I have been contributing a bit to The Verbal release Podcast. I'm named as a host, but my voice is rarely heard. Most is behind the scenes contributions. I would say be careful if tempted to try it though. It's not my podcast and it gets a bit crude sometimes. Childish and immature toilet humour etc...

It certainly helps to fend off the Podcasting withdrawal I seem to be feeling of late! I really should learn how to edit!!

I have started (but not rushing through) a quest to go through all Star Trek episodes in season order. I've done TOS and am up to season 5 of TNG.

I still go by the name of ori-STUDFARM all over the net, but closed my Twitter a long while ago when I realised my kids didn't recognise me from the front. Facebook is much easier to keep on top of and I don't spend quite as much time with my back to the family. Especially now Facebook doesn't show you everyones postings!!

Apart from that, things are about the same. I never mentioned my wife and two daughters before. They are all a couple of years older now....as am I :)

I have grown a long beard in my time on here....and shaved off my rapidly thinning hair. And got greyer....I hate time!

Jobydrone

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on October 28, 2011, 10:55:23 AM
Great idea.. Wow.. I was the 7th person to join and only person still posting after all these years. I joined the forums 2 days after Rico started them.  Just realized it's almost my 6th year anniversary on these forums.

QuoteNovember 14, 2005, 10:19:16 AM

Hey Everyone my name is Kenny, I live in Sherman Oaks California and I'm a big GEEK.  I have no problem calling myself that because it is true. I love all things Sci Fi and Fantasy. I have been listening to Treks in Sci Fi since the Beta Podcast and have enjoyed it very much. I'm a huge Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly/Serenity and Lord of the Ring Fan. I love the classic TV like V, Angel, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Flash, Lois and Clark and Buck Rogers. As well as the new stuff, Invasion, Surface, Thershold and Supernatural. I collect anything and all things related to scifi and fantasy movies/tv. Like action figures, comic books, paperback books, cards, props, magazines and so much more.

As for my update.. other then being six years older and moving to Agua Dulce...the only other thing that has changed is my collecting. I have taken a step back from collecting tons of stuff. I still buy stuff from time to time but nothing like I did back then.
From what I've seen your career has really taken off and you've achieved a lot of success over the past six years
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx