• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Wars Blu-Ray Content Discussion

Started by jedijeff, September 20, 2011, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedijeff

Hi All

I thought I would start a new thread to talk about the content and other discussion about the Star Wars Blu-Rays. The other thread seems to have turned into more of a discussion on the merits of buying the Blu-Rays or not. Moderators, if you feel this should be merged into the other thread, then that is fine.

Some observations I had after watching the three Original Trilogy movies

The first thing I noticed in a New Hope was how dirty R2-D2 and C3P0 were on the Tantive IV. They looked pretty banged up even before they touched down on Tatooine. The Stormtrooper Armour looked a bit beat up as well, guessing they must have been filming in it a bit before they got to those scenes.

Empire Strikes Back Extra
[spoiler]In the extras for Empire Strikes Back, in the collection area. They have some photos of Boba Fetts Chest Armour and there is a link the the Cartoon that showed in the Holiday Special. They show the entire cartoon which I thought was really cool. I have been trying to keep spoiler free and did not read to much on what was included, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this[/spoiler]

From watching the Deleted scenes from Empire Strikes back, it really gave me the impression that Leia was really playing both Han and Luke in terms of her affections. Looks like they cut most of the Luke and Leia scenes out, I just wonder if that was because of her later being revealed as Lukes sister, or if they wanted to focus on the Han and Leia relationship.

For Return of the Jedi, with the HD, the Mattes for some of the scenes really stood out. The scene in the Rebel Hanger before Han, Luke and Leia left on the shuttle to go to Endor, the Matte of the Falcon in the distance really stood out. I noticed the mattes in a few other places as well, I guess with having the movie in HD, those are going to be more noticeable. Noticed it a bit in Empire Strikes back as well with the Battle of Hoth, but guessing maybe Jedi used more Mattes then the other two movies.

The Deleted Scene with Luke building the Lightsaber I thought was really cool. I had always thought Luke had been in Ben's old hut, and was not aware that he was actually in a cave. Also to see the Falcon and Lukes X-Wing there was cool, showing how everyone traveled to the planet together to rescue Han. The sandstorm scene was pretty cool also, and different then I had imagined. I saw how they lifted the lines from it and then added them as voice overs when Han was thanking Luke for rescuing him. Also sort of answered the question for me on what they do with the Ladder on the side of Lukes X-Wing when he is getting to take off.

Also, all the Astromechs really stood out to me, seems like they were every where. Not sure if they were always there and I never noticed them before. But since I collect the Hasbro 3 3/4 ones I could find myself pointing out the ones I have

I must say I really like the photos in the extra's of all the different Models and Costumes they use. Some of the behind the scenes info was interesting as well, like how the B-Wings they did not use much as the wings did not show up very well against the Blue Screen. Also the process they did to make the Star Destroyers lights was interesting. They story on the Executor was interesting as well and the reason on why the decided to make a different model for it. I think just going through the props might be my favorite part so far, as the pictures look so good, just wish there was more of them.

Bryancd

Nice Jeff and timely, I just started watching the First Bonus disc tonight. My plan is to watch all the Bonus material for I, II, and III and then those films and then move on to the OT. I am still on TPM extra's but have really enjoyed the extra scenes and archival video's. And the clips from the film look and sound amazing.

jedijeff

Quote from: Bryancd on September 20, 2011, 07:37:09 PM
Nice Jeff and timely, I just started watching the First Bonus disc tonight. My plan is to watch all the Bonus material for I, II, and III and then those films and then move on to the OT. I am still on TPM extra's but have really enjoyed the extra scenes and archival video's. And the clips from the film look and sound amazing.
I am going to start on the Prequels next, looking forward to them as thinking they will have a lot of material. Looking forward to seeing the updated Yoda in TPM

Meds

Great thread Jeff as this is what I want to know especially what the special features are like. Can anyone tell me what the matte shot in ROTJ when Luke falls in the pit to fight the monster in Jabbas room. I always remember the monster out line near Luke was terrible. Is that fixed?

Rico

Great idea for a new thread Jeff.  Let's keep this one about the actual Blu-Rays themselves.  Now, I just need to carve out some time to watch some of them.  :)

Meds

I need a Blue Ray player lol. We're thinking of getting one by Christmas.

Rico

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 21, 2011, 06:21:26 AM

They have gotten real inexpensive over here.  Easy to get one for $100 - or less.

Dangelus

Consider a PS3. Great blu-ray player, some decent games and a powerful media streamer. With the right software you can stream pretty much any format to it.

Meds

Yeah I need a hard drive Blue Ray player as I want to replace my hard drive DVD recorder. Got my eye on a Panasonic and my local supplier can make it region free for my foreign DVD's. Any other recomendations welcome. PS3 I know is good but as I said I need a hard drive.

QuadShot

Quote from: Rico on September 21, 2011, 06:23:24 AM

They have gotten real inexpensive over here.  Easy to get one for $100 - or less.

We got a Samsung Blu Ray for our bedroom, also has Wi-Fi internet (NetFlix, Hulu, Blockbuster, etc, even FaceBook) at Best Buy and I think we paid like $129 for it, so yeah, very reasonable now.

Rico

Quote from: Dangelus on September 21, 2011, 06:24:52 AM

Consider a PS3. Great blu-ray player, some decent games and a powerful media streamer. With the right software you can stream pretty much any format to it.

I'll second the suggestion for a PS3.  I use TVersity from my PC and can stream pretty much any video to my PS3/HDTV.

Back to the SW Blu-Ray discussion.  I'm planning on doing some Blu-Ray screen captures and posting them up here soon from the discs.

Dangelus

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 21, 2011, 06:28:42 AM
Yeah I need a hard drive Blue Ray player as I want to replace my hard drive DVD recorder. Got my eye on a Panasonic and my local supplier can make it region free for my foreign DVD's. Any other recomendations welcome. PS3 I know is good but as I said I need a hard drive.

Meds start a thread in tech topics with your requirements and I'll chip in. I've been streaming media over the network since the Xbox 1 days and the tech community is my other big online circle after TrekSF. I'm sure I can recommend a few things.

moyer777

I have watched a bunch of the behind the scenes stuff now, but must be doing it wrong, some of the stuff you mentioned I didn't see Jeff.    I'll have to skype with you sometime as see what I'm doing wrong.  ;)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

jedijeff

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 20, 2011, 10:55:03 PM
Great thread Jeff as this is what I want to know especially what the special features are like. Can anyone tell me what the matte shot in ROTJ when Luke falls in the pit to fight the monster in Jabbas room. I always remember the monster out line near Luke was terrible. Is that fixed?
I thought the Rancor looked much better, and did not see the outlining like in the past. I did notice a bit of outlining on some of the Skiff scenes in the desert, mostly with Chewie and the back ground.

jedijeff

Quote from: moyer777 on September 21, 2011, 10:11:10 AM
I have watched a bunch of the behind the scenes stuff now, but must be doing it wrong, some of the stuff you mentioned I didn't see Jeff.    I'll have to skype with you sometime as see what I'm doing wrong.  ;)

Sure thing Rick, some of the menus you have to dig around a bit. The Holiday Special cartoon is in a different spot then one would expect.