• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek Padd App for Ipad

Started by Geekyfanboy, July 11, 2011, 12:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Yep.  Just got the update myself. 

- You know another good app.  Something like a good Trek episode guide and/or Trek encyclopedia.  Obviously you can go to the web, but an App done in the LCARS format would be cool.

Feathers

Someone did that once, I think, but didn't it get pulled because it was referencing out to startrek.com or something they hadn't licenced?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on October 17, 2011, 12:55:25 AM
Someone did that once, I think, but didn't it get pulled because it was referencing out to startrek.com or something they hadn't licenced?

Yes there was an app that required you to download the whole database and I guess this was frowned upon. It a shame because something in this format with access to the entire Memory Alpha would be very useful.

Rico

With a property like "Star Trek" you can't just slap an App up and hope no one takes notice.  You have to go through the proper channels.  I don't think even if the App was 'free' it would stay up if it pulled much actual content down as needed from certain sites.  But I was hoping with the success of the Padd App, people would realize that us fans gobble this stuff up and it's worth doing.

Dangelus

This is it. A 3rd party can't make the app look Uthentic without running into copyright issues and you can't just download somebody else's entire database for your own use.

Hopefully CBS / Paramount or whoever will keep updating this app and giving us more and somebody will come along with a good 3rd party app that doesn't require the user to download half the Internet ;)

billybob476

Yeah it would be great if Memory Alpha had an app like this, I find it an invaluable resource for Trek info.

moyer777

It was called Dax Hotel.  I have it still.  Pretty darn cool app.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Dangelus

Quote from: moyer777 on October 17, 2011, 09:40:40 AM
It was called Dax Hotel.  I have it still.  Pretty darn cool app.

That's the one! :)