• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"Alcatraz" - tv series

Started by Rico, May 16, 2011, 03:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

What are people thinking of this so far?  Does it have legs??  I'm an episode or two behind still but it still isn't grabbing me like other shows.

QuadShot

I think it's pretty good. It has that mysterious Lost type vibe to is and even more strangeness unfolds in the episodes you're behind on Rico...

Feathers

We don't get it over here as far as I know but the up side of that is that if it ever does arrive, I'll have a set of. Jews to refer to before I decide whether I want to take a look at it.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

QuadShot

Quote from: Feathers on February 10, 2012, 11:35:33 AM
We don't get it over here as far as I know but the up side of that is that if it ever does arrive, I'll have a set of. Jews to refer to before I decide whether I want to take a look at it.

Umm, Feathers? Did you mean to say that?  :confused

Feathers

:-[ Er no!!!!   :-[

Wow, that's one of the more embarrassing iPhone spelling changes I've ever seen.

Sorry!

QuadShot

LOL! I love the iPhone autocorrect! :)

jedijeff

I am all caught up on Alcatraz. I have been enjoying it quite a bit, but I really like these JJ Abrams shows that have a lot of mystery tied to them, and don't mind it taking time for it to play out.

jedijeff

I have to say, I am really liking Alcatraz. I really like the mix between present day and the 1960's. This weeks episode dug a bit into some of the characters back stories and the over all mythology of the show.

[spoiler]Hausers assistant/Girlfriend Lucy is sure an interesting Character. I am hoping that they can bring her back in the present day, as she has a lot of mystery around her. The 1960's Lucy seems a bit devious, as her methods of extracting information from the inmates much more effective then the wardens and doctor. I am liking Hauser more and more, still really mysterious and not sure what his ultimate goal but a great character. I like how he seems to have a real mean streak to the inmates they catch. This week he point blank shot a guy in the leg after making him stand on a mine for hours. I was listening to an Alcatraz podcast, and they brought up the question of how old the guy is, as he probably should be much older then what Sam Neil is in the show, so not sure if the show is over looking it a bit to make the story better, or if there is something more there.[/spoiler]

WillEagle

Watching this with the wife on Hulu. So far we have only watched the pilot and 1st episode. We will watch one this weekend because Hulu doesn't leave these on foreever. About a month I think. I love the fact that Garcia's character owns a comic shop and that he is a writer. And the detective is very cute and i would agree she does seem pretty young for a detective. Looking foward to watching the 3rd episode this weekend!

jedijeff

I am really digging Alcatraz, I think the stories and the Series Mythology are really starting to take shape. I really hope it gets a second season, as I understand the ratings are soft. Would be a real shame to me to lose it, so I am crossing my fingers. The past episode brought up a lot of good questions.

[spoiler]From reading some other sites and theories, this series looks like it is going to set itself up a lot with dreams and what people might perceive a real or not. I think that dreams are going to be key to this show, as they sort of alluded to that fact that a lot of Dr Lucy's methods were around dreaming. When they were talking to Jack Sylvane, he said he no longer had dreams, so not sure if some how they have taken his dreams for some reason, if they might be harboring the inmates for some reason, and the dreams are part of it. There was a line from the Doctor about so called reality, makes me wonder just how real these inmates are as well. Also gets me wondering about Hausers new Alcatraz, he is pretty secretive on it, sort of have the wild thought that it might not even be in the present time as when these new events are happening.[/spoiler]

Feathers

Just seen the first mention of this over here. No dates yet but I do have some idea of what channel it'll be on now (Watch).

QuadShot

Quote from: jedijeff on February 26, 2012, 09:39:16 AM
I am really digging Alcatraz, I think the stories and the Series Mythology are really starting to take shape. I really hope it gets a second season, as I understand the ratings are soft. Would be a real shame to me to lose it, so I am crossing my fingers. The past episode brought up a lot of good questions.

[spoiler]From reading some other sites and theories, this series looks like it is going to set itself up a lot with dreams and what people might perceive a real or not. I think that dreams are going to be key to this show, as they sort of alluded to that fact that a lot of Dr Lucy's methods were around dreaming. When they were talking to Jack Sylvane, he said he no longer had dreams, so not sure if some how they have taken his dreams for some reason, if they might be harboring the inmates for some reason, and the dreams are part of it. There was a line from the Doctor about so called reality, makes me wonder just how real these inmates are as well. Also gets me wondering about Hausers new Alcatraz, he is pretty secretive on it, sort of have the wild thought that it might not even be in the present time as when these new events are happening.[/spoiler]

Jeff, nice theory. How about this:
[spoiler]What if...everything we see in the "now" IS just dreams? Alcatraz is a prison to the most vicious criminals out there. What if Lucy created some sort of "dream chamber" where she puts these inmates to get into their minds and see WHY they do what they do? Or, maybe even vice-versa. The dream chamber is now and she makes them believe they were inmates of Alcatraz. Perhaps Hausers Alcatraz is THE Alcatraz, only some time in the future?[/spoiler]

Joostin

Quote from: jedijeff on May 16, 2011, 07:17:45 PM
JJ Abrams and his people make me very interested in this one. Though Sam Neill being in this makes me worry that this will last as long as a few of his other TV Projects in the past few years, Crusoe and Happy Town, so in other words, not long.

I had the exact same thought...
No Way!...........WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!!

moyer777

I am really enjoying this series.   I had heard that it was going to be coming back for a second season...we will see.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

WillEagle

Watched the episode about the kidnapper.
[spoiler]Not upset that he got shot at the end. I liked it when Diego gave the kid some comics he was missing.[/spoiler]
Enjoying this series and will probably be watching the next 2 episodes this weekend.