• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Redemption

Started by Geekyfanboy, February 15, 2011, 07:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Ok fourth attempt to write this post without sounding weird (I'm really tired).

I love Felicia in this role, despite all her other work I really do feel like this is a departure from what we're used to with her. Yes she kicked some butt in Dollhouse but this very confident, flirty, sexy and strong type of character is really quite different (at least in my opinion).

I also think that because of all the exposure she has within our circles (in no small part thanks to Kenny), we have developed a sense of familiarity with her. Because of this familiarity, a bit of cognitive dissonance takes place when we see her in a role we feel is a bit 'out of character'. I think this is a non-issue for people who don't follow her career quite as closely as a lot of us do and those who do have issues will likely get used to it.

Maybe this sounds strange, but whenever Felicia succeeds at yet another thing, I kind of feel like she takes us with her. It's not just a win for her, but for all of us crazy internet people too.

Rico

I think any actor has a certain "range" that they can play.  I'm perfectly fine with Felicia here and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  You also have to keep in mind the conditions, budget, etc. for this web series vs. other projects.  If you want to see other things Felicia has worked on, check Netflix and Amazon.  She's done more than you might be aware of - including even a western!  :)

Bryancd

Yeah, I think she is terrific but her performance in this doesn't resonate with me as having the kind of gravitas that I feel the character would have in more threatening situations. She does light hearted and charming like nobody's business. Not a knock on her at all, it's just when she is straddling a guy holding blades to his throat she even looks a bit uncomfortable. Like she's attacking Vork or something.. :)

Meds

I'm rather enjoying this series and i have to say i find Felicia's performance in this excellent. There is a subtle darkness to the character and its acted more in her facial expression. Gone is the smile and slight blankness that she offers as Codex, the role is ideal. I have no idea where you guys are coming from, the scene when she holds the blade to the guys throat is played with a great tone. It's quick, it's in there and flows perfectly.

billybob476

Ep 3 was just as fun as the rest, I like where this is going. Again all the actors did great. My only minor quibble was that I got taken out of one scene a bit when a what I guess is a street light got into the shot. 

WillEagle

I need to check out these episodes!

billybob476

woohoo! On the deck for tonight!

Rico

Fun episodes!  Where did they film the outdoor stuff?  It's a bit unusual looking.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on November 01, 2011, 06:10:25 PM
Fun episodes!  Where did they film the outdoor stuff?  It's a bit unusual looking.

Felicia answered 5 questions today on Twitter, that was one of them:

QuoteMalibu and Calabasas outside LA. Lots of fog machines to make it more unwordly!

http://twitter.com/#!/feliciaday/status/131408881472634880

Rico

Geekyfanboy

X

Okay, after finally having watched, I think I see where some people are coming from. I enjoyed her performance and I've seen her in other non-geeky roles, but I think that there is an edge to these types of characters that she seems to be missing when it comes to the voice. Even when dispatching people, there is a politeness in her tone that would work better for me if it had more of an edge to it.

now, I'm not saying that the role was poorly cast or that she didn't do well, but I think that I had to make a bit more of an effort to suspend disbelief than I normally would. I think that some people just have a way to deliver that edge that others don't have and this is one of those cases. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's typecasting, but more of a role that might be sightly out of the normal range and because of that, there are elements in the performance that doesn't convey the badassery that I believe was intended.