• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Why 3D doesn't work and never will."

Started by Rico, January 24, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

At the link below is a great article on 3D based off a letter Walter Murch wrote to Roger Ebert about the way 3D 'tries' to work - and fails.  Murch, for those that don't know the name is a very well respected film editor and sound designer.  I don't expect this to really change anyone's mind, but it may give some more to think about on this subject.  I don't want to copy and paste the article since it contains images illustrating his points.  But I encourage everyone to spend a few minutes and really read what Murch has to say on the subject.

P.S.  Thanks to Meds for letting me know about this article. 

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

Feathers

Interesting but logical. It also goes some way to helping me understand why 3D doesn't work for me.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

turtlesrock

3D sometimes works for me. in avatar, i must admit that it was amazing!

though in other movies like chicken little it doesn't work.

KingIsaacLinksr

There are medical/scientific studies finding that 3D may actually harm your children's eyes.  It had something to do with their eyes focusing and how 3D requires different focusing and blah blah.  Eeek.  Whether that is true or not the mere implication is not good.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

turtlesrock

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on February 26, 2011, 04:31:34 PM
There are medical/scientific studies finding that 3D may actually harm your children's eyes.  It had something to do with their eyes focusing and how 3D requires different focusing and blah blah.  Eeek.  Whether that is true or not the mere implication is not good.

King

i'm starting to rethink seeing movies in 3D now

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: turtlesrock on February 26, 2011, 04:38:25 PM

King

well, as long as your in your teens+ you should be fine.  And I think the researchers may have also meant that if you watch it constantly.  (Which I should have put in the above post).  Its like anything else in life, in moderation your fine, but take too much and your body reacts to it.  In whatever way that might be.

King

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on February 26, 2011, 04:54:14 PM
Quote from: turtlesrock on February 26, 2011, 04:38:25 PM

King

well, as long as your in your teens+ you should be fine.  And I think the researchers may have also meant that if you watch it constantly.  (Which I should have put in the above post).  Its like anything else in life, in moderation your fine, but take too much and your body reacts to it.  In whatever way that might be.

King

Could you link to this article please.

Bryancd

My parents once told me if I were to do something fun too much I would go blind. So far, that hasn't panned out...;)

turtlesrock

Quote from: Bryancd on February 26, 2011, 06:28:53 PM
My parents once told me if I were to do something fun too much I would go blind. So far, that hasn't panned out...;)

yea so far :)

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on February 26, 2011, 06:28:53 PM

Sorry, would you mind using a larger font? I'm struggling to.... ;)

X

King
I highly doubt this. In fact, I don't believe it at all. Eyes are adaptive and so is the brain. If you teach it new tricks early, it can adapt and use them better than doing it later.

Also, the technology behind the 3D, at it's core is over 100 years old. Hell, we as children were exposed to the concepts with the might viewmaster. If something was wrong with the tech, they would have discovered it decades ago and not made it into a children's toy.

KingIsaacLinksr

http://www.themedguru.com/20110103/newsfeature/nintendos-3d-gaming-can-harm-kids-eyesight-86143222.html
Nintendo warns about harming 6 year olds with its 3DS.  

http://www.beijingtoday.com.cn/health/scientists-say-movies-hurt-eyes
About movies, also talks about headaches.  

I can't find the specific article I saw a month ago, but these come close.  

I should have also stated I don't necessarily believe the "research" behind this.  (Merely saying its remotely, if unlikely, possible) Its fairly inconclusive and as you X pointed out, our eyes are adaptive.  If kids were being harmed by this tech, we would have had at least one generation now with damaged eyesight.  Heck, I've seen two now and I walked out just fine, no headaches at all.  

If anything, lasers are probably more damaging than 3D is "likely" to be.  

King

X

The first links talk about headaches in people prone to having headaches or eye problems. Regardless of that, I find the source dubious at best and there is no scientific study behind the opinion of the writer that is obviously not a scientist.

I think you'll find more articles on CFLs causing more headaches than 3D.

I think that people also want to find problems where they are none for the most part. The whole vaccine thing comes to mind with that and despite the truth coming out on the subject, the damage has already been done.

But I do agree with you about the "research"

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: X on February 26, 2011, 08:33:36 PM
The first links talk about headaches in people prone to having headaches or eye problems. Regardless of that, I find the source dubious at best and there is no scientific study behind the opinion of the writer that is obviously not a scientist.

I think you'll find more articles on CFLs causing more headaches than 3D.

I think that people also want to find problems where they are none for the most part. The whole vaccine thing comes to mind with that and despite the truth coming out on the subject, the damage has already been done.

But I do agree with you about the "research"

Heh, your dang right on the "finding-problems-where-there-are-none".  Video games are heavily afflicted by this current issue.  The articles I could link that make me shake my head at the mainstream media are getting longer by the day (on this "issue")...

King

Rico

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that not everyone responds the same way to 3-D.  Some people perceive it fine with their eyes - others have a lot of trouble.  Some people get allergies - others don't.  Still, the same bottom line is there for me - I don't need 3-D to make a movie better.  Just give me a good movie to watch.