• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"Being Human" - SyFy version

Started by Rico, January 17, 2011, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Thought I'd start a new thread for the US/SyFy version of this TV series.  It's starts tonight (1/17/2011) on SyFy.  I'm going to give it a go.

Syfy Being Human PREMIERE Trailer

Pyrovile

I'll give it a go, but it's going to have to be frelling brilliant.  I've watched the first two seasons of the UK version and they are outstanding.
Reavers!

ElfManDan

Quote from: Pyrovile on January 17, 2011, 03:00:34 PM
I'll give it a go, but it's going to have to be frelling brilliant.  I've watched the first two seasons of the UK version and they are outstanding.

That's exactly where I am too. I loved the UK version and I doubt this can beat it's charm, but I'm gonna give it a chance.

Feathers

I'd hope we won't get to see it over here but I'm sure some small cable channel will import it to fill the schedule.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

spaltor

So?  Thoughts?  I caught the premiere last night.  The buzz flying around twitter was that people seemed to love it.  I'm not sure yet.  I also may have dozed off at some point in the last 15 minutes.  Possibly.  ;)  I'll probably watch the pilot again before the second episode.  Looking interesting.  (I've also added the UK series to my Netflix queue.)

Pyrovile

I'm time shifting it and will watch it tonight after the kidling goes to bed. 
Reavers!

X

I was really tired and fell asleep watching it, but when I woke up refreshed and actually watched it, I really liked it. I really love the cast that they went with.

Pyrovile

OK, first impressions.  I think it has a good chance.  It was well done for a remake.  I'm not sure if I like the choice of actor for Aiden.  He's a little too healthy looking for being undead.  I liked the ghost effects for Sally, but I didn't care for her not having any ability to influence her surroundings.  I does look like they will bring that ability about though.  Her personality was a bit too assertive.   I wish they would have left the names of the principal characters the same.   It would make the transistion for fans of the UK series easier, but it was a nice nod to the UK series to name Aiden after the British actor that plays the equivalent part. 
I don't like the actor the picked for the part of Bishop.

I was a little put off by them bringing in Josh's sister as I felt that his isolation from family and loved ones was a big part of what drives him.  However by the cliffhanger, I wasn't as concerned by that as there is potential for even greater isolation.  While I don't think what is being implied to happen will, I think it will further isolate him. 

I think it was done about as well as it could be and it stands a fair chance. 
Reavers!

X

Quote from: Pyrovile on January 18, 2011, 07:06:40 PM
OK, first impressions.  I think it has a good chance.  It was well done for a remake.  I'm not sure if I like the choice of actor for Aiden.  He's a little too healthy looking for being undead.  I liked the ghost effects for Sally, but I didn't care for her not having any ability to influence her surroundings.  I does look like they will bring that ability about though.  Her personality was a bit too assertive.   I wish they would have left the names of the principal characters the same.   It would make the transistion for fans of the UK series easier, but it was a nice nod to the UK series to name Aiden after the British actor that plays the equivalent part. 
I don't like the actor the picked for the part of Bishop.

I was a little put off by them bringing in Josh's sister as I felt that his isolation from family and loved ones was a big part of what drives him.  However by the cliffhanger, I wasn't as concerned by that as there is potential for even greater isolation.  While I don't think what is being implied to happen will, I think it will further isolate him. 

I think it was done about as well as it could be and it stands a fair chance. 
Didn't she start out not being able to touch things and learned how to do that?

Pyrovile

Could be.  I'll have to go do a re-watch.  I thought she was making tea right from the start though.
Reavers!

ElfManDan

I've now watched the pilot and I think it's good, but it felt to much like the UK version to me. I felt like I was watching a parody of it. Though it seemed alright as a whole. I'm still just not sure about this whole remake thing. If it doesn't get different enough from the UK version I don't know if I can watch it. It will just screw with my head trying to watch both.

Geekyfanboy

Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it.. looking forward to more..

And no I have never seen the UK version.. I plan on it.

Rico

I watched it and liked it a lot too.  I never saw the UK version - at least not yet so it all seems fresh to me.  So, I have nothing in my mind that is making me compare it to that other version.  The cast seems very good and fits their parts well.  I'm guessing we will learn more about them as time goes on.  Frankly, this pilot was pretty strong - very good for a first episode on SyFy I thought.  The effects used are good too. Oh, one question - this show seems to push the boundary of TV in terms of sex/violence.  Is the UK version like that too?  It doesn't bother me, I was just curious.

X

Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 05:58:42 AM
I watched it and liked it a lot too.  I never saw the UK version - at least not yet so it all seems fresh to me.  So, I have nothing in my mind that is making me compare it to that other version.  The cast seems very good and fits their parts well.  I'm guessing we will learn more about them as time goes on.  Frankly, this pilot was pretty strong - very good for a first episode on SyFy I thought.  The effects used are good too. Oh, one question - this show seems to push the boundary of TV in terms of sex/violence.  Is the UK version like that too?  It doesn't bother me, I was just curious.
Yeah, the UK version can get violent.

Rico

But what about the sex in the UK version?  That's what I really want to know about!  ;)