• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Being Human" - SyFy version

Started by Rico, January 17, 2011, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 03:37:41 PM
Well, I've seen all of "Torchwood" (and I mean the BBC version) and it didn't seem all that risque to me.  But it seem you Brit's are more frisky than I thought.  ;)

Torchwood had all the man on man action.. that would never be seen in the US.. the past five years they have gotten better with showing a man lightly kiss another man or if it's a joke between two straight guys. British TV is very open and equal when it comes to portraying the gay lifestyle.. not so much in the US (again unless it's HBO or Showtime).

Rico

Yeah, that's very true Kenny.  I guess I didn't think about that since it doesn't bother me.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 04:28:43 PM
Yeah, that's very true Kenny.  I guess I didn't think about that since it doesn't bother me.

Well you are one of the very few enlightened people here in the US.

Geekyfanboy

To get this back on topic.. for those who have seen the UK version.. is the US version starting off the same way.. I mean are they telling the same storyline?

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on January 19, 2011, 04:31:45 PM
To get this back on topic.. for those who have seen the UK version.. is the US version starting off the same way.. I mean are they telling the same storyline?
I've seen both, but I don't remember the scene by scene of the first series, but there are some changes going on. I think in the original pilot the ghosts are similar in ability, but I also think that the story line is already very different.

Rico

I would think they would want to alter it some to maybe grab people who saw the BBC version.  If it just is almost exactly the same I don't see the point.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 04:56:47 PM
I would think they would want to alter it some to maybe grab people who saw the BBC version.  If it just is almost exactly the same I don't see the point.

Well I know they did that with Queer as Folk.. the first two seasons of the US version were 95% the same as the original UK version until it got to season 3 when the UK stopped and the US continued.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on January 19, 2011, 04:59:18 PM
Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 04:56:47 PM

Well I know they did that with Queer as Folk.. the first two seasons of the US version were 95% the same as the original UK version until it got to season 3 when the UK stopped and the US continued.
Life on Mars and Seeing Evil were also pretty much the same until the endings changed.

Ronzo

Quote from: X on January 19, 2011, 04:52:53 PM
I've seen both, but I don't remember the scene by scene of the first series, but there are some changes going on. I think in the original pilot the ghosts are similar in ability, but I also think that the story line is already very different.

[spoiler]I watched both back to back and they are just almost the same scene for scene except for a few small differences and one big one. The ghost in the UK version could pick up objects where the US ghost could not. The place where the werewolf character can change is different. We do not see the girl that the vampire character kills come back as vampire in the US version. Last, w are introduced to the werewolf's sister in the US version. [/spoiler]

RONZO ;D

Pyrovile

Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 10:01:16 AM
Quote from: Pyrovile on January 19, 2011, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2011, 06:20:01 AM
But what about the sex in the UK version?  That's what I really want to know about!  ;)
Slightly more graphic.

Really?  And we Americans always think of the UK folks as always so proper and reserved!  ;)

Marry one and you'll soon learn otherwise!
Reavers!

Pyrovile

Very similar.  As to Torchwood, I'm not bothered by the gay stuff, it's just part of the story and it's not good or bad, it just is what it is.
Reavers!

X

Quote from: Pyrovile on January 19, 2011, 08:40:57 PM

Very similar.  As to Torchwood, I'm not bothered by the gay stuff, it's just part of the story and it's not good or bad, it just is what it is.
There was gay stuff?

Pyrovile

QuoteThere was gay stuff?

Yes.  But in all fairness, there was also some beastiality, lesbianisnm and omnisexuality involved.

Reavers!

X

I was joking.  I really didn't see it as gay stuff, just a guy who wasn't into limiting his potential partners with things like gender or species.

Rico

One thing I found interesting was for some odd reason I always thought "Being Human" was a half-hour show?  Not sure why I thought that.