• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

MASH 4077 Podcast

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 15, 2011, 01:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrovile

It was good having MASH on during my 'formative' years.  Loretta Swit was my kind of hottie.
Reavers!

QuadShot

...and they were just waiting for me to come along so they could start the podcast! :)

Jobydrone

I'll be listening, I loved that show, watched an hour of it five days a week in reruns when I was a kid, as well as the first run episodes near the end of its run.  I'll never forget the final episode and feeling like part of an event just by watching it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Gotta hand it to the producers for making such a poignant and somewhat downbeat finale, a bold choice.

Jobydrone

yeah that show got to be quite serious in its final seasons.  The whole subplot with Haweye on the bus was so disturbing, I'll never forget it.  I'm sure it will be discussed in the new podcast!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 18, 2011, 11:29:33 AM
yeah that show got to be quite serious in its final seasons.  The whole subplot with Haweye on the bus was so disturbing, I'll never forget it.  I'm sure it will be discussed in the new podcast!

Yeah, the whole chicken/baby thing was very dark and disturbing.

Jobydrone

Spoilers!  Well, can you really spoil a thirty year old episode?  God thirty years, I am old...

Bromptonboy

Always got a kick out of Col. Flagg.
Pete

QuadShot

Yeah, the finale was a bit darker than most of the series, but I think it's because....well, I guess you'll all just have to tune in to find out why! :)

Just kidding...I think they wanted to portray some of the incredible horrors that most of the vets left that war with. Just my opinion...

QuadShot

Jobydrone

Quote from: QuadShot on January 18, 2011, 12:16:03 PM
Yeah, the finale was a bit darker than most of the series, but I think it's becauee...

There was a palpable change in tone to the show MASH that I think goes back to the end of the fourth season when Larry Gelbart left the series.  He was the driving creative force mostly responsible for adapting the book and movie for television, and his departure (coupled with Alan Alda's rocket ride to popularity and stardom) left the door open for Alda to take a much more involved role in the creative processes of the show.   

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 18, 2011, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: QuadShot on January 18, 2011, 12:16:03 PM
Yeah, the finale was a bit darker than most of the series, but I think it's becauee...

There was a palpable change in tone to the show MASH that I think goes back to the end of the fourth season when Larry Gelbart left the series.  He was the driving creative force mostly responsible for adapting the book and movie for television, and his departure (coupled with Alan Alda's rocket ride to popularity and stardom) left the door open for Alda to take a much more involved role in the creative processes of the show.   

And I think the show suffered a bit from that attempt to change it's identity.

Bryancd

Just saw a very interesting show on Bio Channel about the behind the scenes of MASH.

QuadShot

Cool. Did they mention our new podcast? :)

Bromptonboy

Quote from: QuadShot on January 18, 2011, 12:17:54 PM
Quote from: Bromptonboy on January 18, 2011, 12:13:47 PM
Always got a kick out of Col. Flagg.

You mean..."The Wind"? :)

Yes!  "Go ahead and blow your butt out of my chair, Mr. WInd!" - Col. Potter
Pete