• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

New Members

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 06, 2011, 08:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danieru_x

I am a new recruit but haven't exactly made my mark yet as I am still starting to get used to where things are in the forum but seems like there are many interesting discussions. Btw Bryan please leave your shirt on...

Bryancd

Welcome Daniel! No promises on my state of clothing.

Meds

Yeah I'm going to set rules that Bryan should always keep his shirt on from now on. Well for at least two days.

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on January 09, 2011, 08:39:45 AM
Yeah I'm going to set rules that Bryan should always keep his shirt on from now on. Well for at least two days.

Done! It's cold here right now so I am bundled up. No promises come summer...

Zarabeth32

Hello to the male dominant forums!

I am a girl! Yay! It was my inspiration for joining the forums. I think it was when I was listening to one of the past podcasts and Rico said something about the forums losing their female population. I know that I am only one woman to add to the few women on the forums. You won't scare me away whether you wear or don't wear clothing, skirts, shirts, or dresses, or Kilts!  :laugh:

I try to get on here as much as I can. I just joined last month so give me some time.

Hope you all are enjoying this lovely winter weather. Looking forward to the sun and being able to see over the 6ft snowbanks in NH.

Be Safe, keep up with the laughter and the fun!

;D

THS
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

RickPeete

Welcome!  We are happy to increase our community regardless of gender, race, or any other form of cultural delination.  And more power to girlygeeks everywhere!

Redshirt97

Hey all to the form.  I am a new member here.  just joined the other day.  I am very sure the forum could certainly use more members and yes girls should be encouraged o join the club.  but I won't be getting naked for anyone here. lol
I am going with the best information that I have.

Rico

Welcome to the fun!

P.S.  Bryan is the only one that gets naked for us here.  ;)

Meds

Welcome to the forum, have fun and post well :)

Redshirt97

Quote from: Rico on February 13, 2011, 05:15:58 AM
Welcome to the fun!

P.S.  Bryan is the only one that gets naked for us here.  ;)

thanks rico, I hope to have some good times here and I willl try to make some good conversation on some the topics here.  I should have joined here a long time ago but involed in other things.  I look foward to the next podcast.
I am going with the best information that I have.

spaltor

Quote from: Zarabeth32 on February 06, 2011, 12:28:11 PM
I am a girl! Yay! It was my inspiration for joining the forums. I think it was when I was listening to one of the past podcasts and Rico said something about the forums losing their female population. I know that I am only one woman to add to the few women on the forums. You won't scare me away whether you wear or don't wear clothing, skirts, shirts, or dresses, or Kilts!  :laugh:

Ditto.  I just have an elongated orbit.  ;)

Although, on an all too serious note, you might have some female lurkers who feel intimidated.  Especially since a lot of female characters in sci-fi and fantasy are often just turned into sex objects.  Some female fans feel the need to prove themselves, either by making herself into an object, or aggressively showing that she doesn't need to.  Women can be weird that way.  It's okay that I say that, I think, since I am one.  Women are a lot less confident, in general, when it comes to their geekiness.  In some ways, the idea is that it's easier and more acceptable for men to like science fiction.  Personally, I like to believe this is changing, and that female fans are really coming into their own.  But it's not something that will happen overnight.

Jobydrone

Quote from: spaltor on February 15, 2011, 10:57:32 AM
In some ways, the idea is that it's easier and more acceptable for men to like science fiction. 

Certainly not here.  We accept all sexes, races, creeds, colors, national origins, sexual preferences, and both vanilla and chocolate lovers, without reservation or hesitation. ;)

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

spaltor

No, not here.  This is a very open and welcoming community.  I'm speaking in generalities of fandom and geekdom as a whole.

And actually, I was just now having this conversation at work.  See, you have to realize that being a fan is different for women.  Men can like a show and enjoy it for it's story, and also proclaim the hotness of a given character and no one bats an eye.  When a woman is a fan of the same show, and proclaims the hotness of a character, suddenly she's no longer taken seriously as a fan (again, generalities).  And many male fans assume, and will even accuse, that she's just in it for the eye candy or the attention of male fans.  Especially if she, herself, is attractive.

Further to that point, you have to think about it like your first year in college.  If you hang out with a girl (friend or potential girlfriend or whatever), and she sees posters of scantily clad women all over your walls, you're probably not going to be spending much time with that girl in the future.  Women see images of female characters as sex symbols and think, "Okay, this is not a place for me" and go elsewhere.  I think that's why there aren't more women than game - because the female characters usually have incredibly large chests and wear practically nothing.  We don't need to see boobs - we have our own.

Again, generalities, of course there are exceptions to everything I've said.  And I'm not bashing anyone or anything, or start any arguments.  Just trying to explain part of the female mindset from my own experience.

QuadShot

I don't know about any of that stuff spaltor just said...but I LIKE PIZZA!

QuadShot

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on February 15, 2011, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: spaltor on February 15, 2011, 10:57:32 AM
In some ways, the idea is that it's easier and more acceptable for men to like science fiction. 

Certainly not here.  We accept all sexes, races, creeds, colors, national origins, sexual preferences, and both vanilla and chocolate lovers, without reservation or hesitation. ;)

Yep, we even accept Brits!! :) :P