• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Snow 2011

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 02, 2011, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

Quote from: Rico on January 10, 2011, 08:25:16 AM
With the economy and less tax money coming in many cities and areas have really cut back on the money for snow removal.  This means basically fewer workers and much less salt being purchased.  The plows are mainly still around, but fewer guys hired to drive them.  So, big snows are taking longer to clear.  So far this winter both here and Michigan have dodged most of this, although Michigan got one big snow a few weeks back and Lynn had school closed for two days.  So, when these big snows happen it's just taking longer to dig out.

Even the "not-so-big" snows are causing problems. 

Last Friday, I headed home at about midnight; just 20 minutes after a mild snow shower. Since my apartment was only 15 minutes away, I figured I'd be delayed an extra 5 to 10 minutes by the snow.

Wrong.

My freeway exit was closed & blocked off by police & EMS workers, so I decided to try the next exit up, with the intention of doubling back.  This exit was blocked as well.  Not only that, but the FREEWAY ITSELF was closed.  Stationary cars lined up ahead as far as I could see.  Basically, that area of I-265 transformed into a huge, multi-lane parking lot.

After the first hour parked there, many cars turned around & tried to find another way off the freeway by driving against the flow of traffic, only to be stopped by police cars. 

Long story short, myself and who knows how many other motorists ended up stuck there for the next 3 and a half hours.  As I was almost out of gas, I had to alternate cranking up my heater to warm the car for a few minutes, then turning it off to save fuel. 

Around 4am, the freeway was finally opened up again.   :P

Rico

One reason I avoid freeways - at least when I can.  Especially at this time of year.

wraith1701

I hear what you're saying.  I always assumed that the freeways would be the quickest way to get from point A to point B, but a friend pointed out several side-street routes that are actually much quicker than their freeway equivalents. 

We've got more snow coming tonight.  I think I might start trying those side-streets out.

spaltor

Quote from: wraith1701 on January 10, 2011, 03:36:13 PM
I hear what you're saying.  I always assumed that the freeways would be the quickest way to get from point A to point B, but a friend pointed out several side-street routes that are actually much quicker than their freeway equivalents. 

We've got more snow coming tonight.  I think I might start trying those side-streets out.

My friend's husband got stuck on the Garden State Parkway during out big blizzard.  He's a pharmacist and got called in on Sunday.  It started snowing maybe around 11am Sunday.  On his way home that evening, there was already so much accumulation that transit busses were getting stuck on the Parkway.  Well, one got stuck in front of him, and spun out, blocking all the lanes so no one could get around it.  No emergency workers got to it until the following day.  He was stuck in his car on the Parkway for close to 17 hours.  I can't even image.  Must have had enough gas to keep warm, and I know he got out every now and then to make sure the tailpipe wasn't blocked.

I also her stories that even the plows were getting stuck in the snow out here.  Seems a little silly, but apparently true...

Rico

Quote from: wraith1701 on January 10, 2011, 03:36:13 PM
I hear what you're saying.  I always assumed that the freeways would be the quickest way to get from point A to point B, but a friend pointed out several side-street routes that are actually much quicker than their freeway equivalents.  

We've got more snow coming tonight.  I think I might start trying those side-streets out.

A lot of times in Michigan it can be about the same for time, even under good conditions.  Freeways tend to have a lot more traffic and issues.  When I used to drive down to Detroit for work everyday I seldom took the freeway - even in summer.  Many people drive like idiots on freeways.  I timed it out several times and it was very little time difference taking surface roads vs. the freeway.  And the drive was much more relaxing off the freeway.  Definitely when weather is bad don't get on a freeway unless you have no alternatives.

P.S.  Got about 3 inches of snow here overnight - yucky!

jedijeff

After our big dump of snow on the weekend, we have dipped into some very frigid temperatures. Has been hard to get around a bit, as they have cleared the roads, but now they are very icy and they have not sanded them down all that well. The side roads that have not been plowed yet get very rutty, yesterday was a real challenge keeping the car straight at times. I am pretty much set, that my next vehicle will be a SUV, not sure if I feel the roads are not cleared as well as in the past, or I am just older and not being able to tolerate the challenges of these conditions and cars as much.

Bromptonboy

Got about 8" where I live in the northern Philly metro area.
Pete

moyer777

Woke up to a few inches of snow, and by the time I type this we have 2 more inches.

Snowy wake up at the Moyer's

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

billybob476

We're due for 15-20 cm of snow tomorrow.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on February 24, 2011, 08:10:42 AM
We're due for 15-20 cm of snow tomorrow.

That much?  Hmm, only a couple inches for here they are saying.

billybob476

For us it's really dependent on how close you live to Lake Ontario. My house is right near the lake so we'll likely get around 10-15 cm and near work about 25 minutes north we'll get 15-20.

That's what the 'storm warning' is saying at least.

Rico

Ahh, yeah lake effect stuff can really change amounts.  Happens all the time on the west side of Michigan too.  Grand Rapids there gets a ton of snow every year due to the lake effect.