• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Snow 2011

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 02, 2011, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaltor

I live in Central NJ, in a little shore town.  You know how Jersey has a little indent on the coastline in the middle?  Right there.  And I sit on the train for an hour each morning to go to work on 40th & 6th.

Bryancd

My Grandparents and my Dad were originally from Linden. :)

Rico

Yeah - now that's some snow baby!  And the planes still managed to get out.  Take that mother nature!

spaltor

Well, the snow stopped falling on early Monday morning.  Air traffic was completely canceled from JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark until late Tuesday afternoon.  Luckily, I had booked the second flight on Wednesday morning.  The canceled the first one.  I'm told that my flight was the only JetBlue flight that day to actually leave on time.  :)

Bryancd

We flew back to Phoenix on Tuesday morning out of White Plains, NY, and had no problems. We really lucked out.

Rico

Quote from: spaltor on January 07, 2011, 08:54:04 AM
Well, the snow stopped falling on early Monday morning.  Air traffic was completely canceled from JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark until late Tuesday afternoon.  Luckily, I had booked the second flight on Wednesday morning.  The canceled the first one.  I'm told that my flight was the only JetBlue flight that day to actually leave on time.  :)

So they were down for about a day or so.  Not bad at all for that much snow.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on January 07, 2011, 10:06:00 AM

Actually we were back in AZ on Thursday and still seeing news reports of people stuck at LaGuardia. They started flight operations Tuesday afternoon but there was no equiptment on the gorund to take people anywhere. No planes were able to come in so the back log was so huge people were stuck.

spaltor

Quote from: Bryancd on January 07, 2011, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: Rico on January 07, 2011, 10:06:00 AM

Actually we were back in AZ on Thursday and still seeing news reports of people stuck at LaGuardia. They started flight operations Tuesday afternoon but there was no equiptment on the gorund to take people anywhere. No planes were able to come in so the back log was so huge people were stuck.

Yeah, they were telling the people who got bumped that most of them wouldn't be able to get on flights until Monday 1/3.  You only got out if you had a confirmed seat on a flight scheduled for those days.  I even had a woman following me around the airport trying to get me to give up my seat for her.  Whenever I lost her, I saw her later chatting someone else up.  Not cool.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: spaltor on January 07, 2011, 08:26:19 AM
Yes, yes it is.  :)  And it's snowing again right now! (Not that you can tell from this photo, but at least you get to see the view into Bryant Park from my office.)

I was in that area for a client meeting a couple of weeks ago. We were supposed to meet with another client in Manhattan today but the meeting was postponed.

jedijeff

We got some Snow this weekend. Nothing like the Huge Amounts they get in the East, but we usually get some very cold weather after, so the Snow Stays until Spring.

We probably got around 20 CM (8 Inches so far) and this morning it was a crisp -16 C (3 F) with the forecast of -20 c (-4 F) to -25 c (-13 F) for later in the week.

I think after the snow we have got this year, I will plan on buying a snow blower, reading the local news, there was a real shortage on them after yesterdays snow. I think I can get by until the end of the year, and see if I can get one at the end of the season. I was lucky in that my Neighbor has a Snow Blower and cleared my driveway and walk yesterday as it was pretty piled up yesterday. Also after the past few winters, my next Vehicle will be a SUV, as hard to get around on side streets with a car at times. I am lucky I am on a Bus route, so they clear the road regularly after snow storms, but other roads can go for quite some time before they are cleared

The Walk out front of my house

Picture of my House. I have a Brick post that stands about 3 to 4 feet that is nearly covered now

My Neighbors Car, nearly covered in snow. I don't think he is at home as I have not seen him in a few months, but don't think he will be using the Car until spring

Walkway up to my Front Door. A lot of snow blew in against the house

Another Pic from my Front Door

Feathers

We grind to a halt after two inches of snow. How do you cope with all that at once? (I suspect you have a bigger budgetary priority on snow clearance.)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

Quote from: Feathers on January 09, 2011, 12:15:13 PM
We grind to a halt after two inches of snow. How do you cope with all that at once? (I suspect you have a bigger budgetary priority on snow clearance.)

Right tools for the right job and lots of practice. It really is amazing how quickly roads can be made passable even with that kind of volume if you have enough snow plows. They are massive dump trucks with huge blades on the front and sand spreaders on the back.

spaltor

Quote(I suspect you have a bigger budgetary priority on snow clearance.)

Hahaha!  That's hilarious.  Maybe I should mention that to Mayor Bloomberg.  ;)  But seriously, the last blizzard was an absolute disaster in the city.  I've never seen public transportation get halted like that.  The last road wasn't even plowed until almost a full week later.  People in this part of the US just don't know how to chill out and HAVE to be where they want to go RIGHT NOW.  So they force it.  It used to be that 24 inches of snow meant a nice day off for everyone.  Now it just means you have to leave earlier for work.

And we're expecting another 8 inches on Wednesday.  Is it June yet?

Bryancd

Why do you think I moved to Arizona from southern CT? :)

Rico

With the economy and less tax money coming in many cities and areas have really cut back on the money for snow removal.  This means basically fewer workers and much less salt being purchased.  The plows are mainly still around, but fewer guys hired to drive them.  So, big snows are taking longer to clear.  So far this winter both here and Michigan have dodged most of this, although Michigan got one big snow a few weeks back and Lynn had school closed for two days.  So, when these big snows happen it's just taking longer to dig out.